Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

Default CDR's

I'm close to exhausting my lifetime supply of Taiyo Yuden inkjet-
printable CDR's. I've had very good luck with them for years; two local
studio owners agree that they are their choice. I see now that they are
apparently part of JVC. Does that matter? If it does, what's the best
now?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Monday, April 28, 2014 10:33:43 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:
I'm close to exhausting my lifetime supply of Taiyo Yuden inkjet-

printable CDR's. I've had very good luck with them for years; two local

studio owners agree that they are their choice. I see now that they are

apparently part of JVC. Does that matter? If it does, what's the best

now?

doesn't seem to matter. supermdediastore,com sells them pretty inexpensively.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jason wrote:

I'm close to exhausting my lifetime supply of Taiyo Yuden inkjet-
printable CDR's. I've had very good luck with them for years; two
local studio owners agree that they are their choice. I see now that
they are apparently part of JVC. Does that matter? If it does, what's
the best now?

Tayio Yuden was not bought by Goldman Sachs, but by JVC and still appear to
be the best.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Monday, April 28, 2014 8:54:35 PM UTC-6, Nate Najar wrote:
On Monday, April 28, 2014 10:33:43 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

I'm close to exhausting my lifetime supply of Taiyo Yuden inkjet-

printable CDR's. I've had very good luck with them for years; two local

studio owners agree that they are their choice. I see now that they are

apparently part of JVC. Does that matter? If it does, what's the best

now?

doesn't seem to matter. supermdediastore,com sells them pretty inexpensively.

That's been my experience too.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:14:31 -0700 (PDT) "PStamler"
wrote in article

doesn't seem to matter. supermdediastore,com sells them pretty inexpensively.

That's been my experience too.

Peace,
Paul

Uline has them for a buck or two less per 100..dunno about tax &
shipping.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Jason writes:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:14:31 -0700 (PDT) "PStamler"
wrote in article

doesn't seem to matter. supermdediastore,com sells them pretty inexpensively.

That's been my experience too.

Peace,
Paul

Uline has them for a buck or two less per 100..dunno about tax &
shipping.

Just ordered 200 from Supermedia; free shipping (some kind of donkey, based on the
9-day time, but it is free). My complaint about Supermedia is how they poorly pack
jewel cases (typically double boxed, but inner box is right against outer, with no
shock dividers every 20 cases or so). A good drop on that end can damager quite a
few, some way up in the middle of the stack).

I've ordered close to a 1000 of the slim jewels from them over the last few years,
and I always figure 10-15% breakage due to poor packing. They do credit you on your
honor, but what a pain. Just a little more care packing and they'd have no such
annoying issues for their customers.

Surprised about uline. Good folks but wow, they have really high prices on most
things.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

I believe the original Philips/Sony spec called for the jewel cases to be made from polycarbonate, which is strong stuff. Since the patent has expired, people have been making them from any old crummy plastic, which is why they break so easily.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

I have to order about 200 jewel cases pretty soon. Anyone have any input on the best place to buy them in terms of quality and price? I think last time I ordered from disc makers but I cannot recall how many were broken and weren't.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar writes:

I have to order about 200 jewel cases pretty soon. Anyone have any input on the
best place to buy them in terms of quality and price? I think last time I ordered
from disc makers but I cannot recall how many were broken and weren't.

Perhaps call around, ask detailed questions about packing. Yes, as someone mentioned
material quality has gone down, but if they're packed reasonably well, they should
survive. It's when you have the column mass of 100 units slamming into each other
from effectively unprotected side or end jolts that you'll have problems.

Wish I could remember the vendor -- one time I ordered 200 units from someone other
than Supermedia and there was a cardboard dam every 25 units, and the inner box was
floating in peanuts (not less than 1" on any surface). There wasn't a single
break. Maybe it was Polyline? Can't remember.

Side note: I am amazed at shippers in general -- they'll put stuff directly on the
bottom of an empty box (thus the stuff is in contact with that surface), then add 6"
of peanuts on top. They cannot visualize that the bottom is completely vulnerable!

Stoopid! Lackof training! Put in a few inches of peanuts first, then the stuff, then
slightly fewer peanuts than you might think would be needed to top it off. Nothing
ever breaks in that scenario.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

PStamler wrote:
I believe the original Philips/Sony spec called for the jewel cases to be made from polycarbonate, which is strong stuff. Since the patent has expired, people have been making them from any old crummy plastic, which is why they break so easily.

Is anybody making good quality jewel cases at any price now? I have a
couple customers who have gone to cardboard packaging because it holds up
better.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"PStamler" wrote in message
I believe the original Philips/Sony spec called for the jewel cases
to be made from polycarbonate, which is strong stuff. Since the
patent has expired, people have been making them from any old crummy
plastic, which is why they break so easily.

Peace,
Paul

Even back in the 1980s, jewel cases have always been much more
breakable than CD's, which always seemed bizarre. Take a 1980s-era CD,
and its jewel case, and drop them from two meters onto a hard surface.
The CD damage will be minimal at most. If the jewel case lands on
either of the hinge corners, the hinge tab on the cover breaks off and
the case won't close securely any more. Jewel case breakage has been a
significant issue from the earliest days. When I was using CD's
professionally, in large quantities, I always bought 5% extra jewel
cases. Sometimes that was not sufficient.

Terrible design from the beginning.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Perhaps the weirdest thing about jewel cases is the way (when dropped) the
disk can come loose from the hub, slip under the hinged side of the case, and
be badly scratched. I've lost several disks this way.

To the best of my memory, CD jewel cases have always been polystyrene.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

I think whoever is making jewel cases cut back on the weight. They ones I've
been getting the last few years feel a lot more flimsy...as in CRAP!

Maybe change the formula or man up on the packaging.

There are other and IMO, better, options now.

Here is one supplier of bulk digipaks. There must be others.

http://www.wtsduplication.com/cd-dup.../digipaks.aspx

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:

I have to order about 200 jewel cases pretty soon. Anyone have any input
on the best place to buy them in terms of quality and price? I think
last time I ordered from disc makers but I cannot recall how many were
broken and weren't.

Will DiscMakers sell you blank Digipaks in bulk?

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Perhaps the weirdest thing about jewel cases is the way (when dropped) the
disk can come loose from the hub, slip under the hinged side of the case, and
be badly scratched. I've lost several disks this way.

I've often had the central spider break up, leaving the case full of
loose scratchy bits.

To the best of my memory, CD jewel cases have always been polystyrene.

There were some made of a slightly milky plastic, part-way between
polystyrene and polypropylene. They were more flexible and survived
impact much better then polystyrene, but the artwork didn't show through
so crisply.

I wanted to use them for issuing children's talking books because
shatterable polystyrene was too dangerous, but they vanished from the
market.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02/05/2014 12:28, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Perhaps the weirdest thing about jewel cases is the way (when dropped) the
disk can come loose from the hub, slip under the hinged side of the case, and
be badly scratched. I've lost several disks this way.

I've often had the central spider break up, leaving the case full of
loose scratchy bits.

To the best of my memory, CD jewel cases have always been polystyrene.

There were some made of a slightly milky plastic, part-way between
polystyrene and polypropylene. They were more flexible and survived
impact much better then polystyrene, but the artwork didn't show through
so crisply.

I wanted to use them for issuing children's talking books because
shatterable polystyrene was too dangerous, but they vanished from the
market.

Polypropylene.

I can still get them, I buy the circular format just a fraction larger
than a CD or DVD. I use them as mailers in a normal envelope.

Fellowes 9834301 is one part number.

Or these:-

http://www.tapeandmedia.com/detail.a...t_id=PL_PSP52C

Polypropylene jewel cases.

You can also get larger versions sold as DVD cases.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm not doing children's talking books any more, but those
could be useful for other purposes.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimR TimR is offline

I've never had any luck with jewel cases.

I've used polyboxes instead. I don't remember where I got them, but they were a soft plastic that seemed indestructible and quite protective. I had some that held 4 CDs securely, using a hinged center divider.