Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RealInfo RealInfo is offline

Default 12 vdc tubes

Hi all

I am looking for old tubes operating on very low voltage , battery voltage .
I need them for portabe batery oerated tube preamps .

Any sugestions ?

Thanks
EC

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

RealInfo wrote:

Hi all

I am looking for old tubes operating on very low voltage , battery voltage .
I need them for portabe batery oerated tube preamps .

Any sugestions ?

Thanks
EC

Have you tried a Google search for low voltage vacuum tubes?
RCA and others produced a full range of them for car radios.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jim Gregory Jim Gregory is offline

"flipper" wrote in message

.
I need them for portabe batery oerated tube preamps .

Any sugestions ?

Thanks
EC

http://www.duntemann.com/12vtubes/12vtubesindex.htm

12V is a lay, 'slang' term. It's actually nearer 14.3V DC.
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jim Gregory Jim Gregory is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:36:01 -0000, "Jim Gregory"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Hi all

I am looking for old tubes operating on very low voltage , battery
voltage
.
I need them for portabe batery oerated tube preamps .

Any sugestions ?

Thanks
EC

http://www.duntemann.com/12vtubes/12vtubesindex.htm

12V is a lay, 'slang' term. It's actually nearer 14.3V DC.
Jim

Good luck on finding a 'non lay', 'non slang' datasheet that calls a 6
cell lead acid battery anything other than a 12V battery.

12V is nominal voltage and dern close to actual at 50% capacity. At
full charge a "12V" lead acid will be around 12.7V and 10.5V when
discharged.

14.3V would be charging voltage.

In engineering some amount of jabberwocky is necessary but engineers
don't like excesses any more than 'lay' people do and it's a heck of a
lot more convenient to say "12V battery" since, as the saying goes,
"everybody knows what that means," than it is to say "12.7V to 10.5V,
depending on when you look at it and don't forget what happens during
charge, battery."

I stand corrected, but I had meant to say nearer 13V3 DC for a fully-charged
but off-load, Wet battery.
Do Gel batteries, such as fitted to invalids' cars and golf carts, also show
a similar ready, off-load voltage?
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bretludwig@ymail.com is offline

On Dec 30, 2:07 pm, flipper wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:36:01 -0000, "Jim Gregory"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi all

I am looking for old tubes operating on very low voltage , battery voltage
.
I need them for portabe batery oerated tube preamps .

Any sugestions ?

Thanks
EC

http://www.duntemann.com/12vtubes/12vtubesindex.htm

12V is a lay, 'slang' term. It's actually nearer 14.3V DC.
Jim

Good luck on finding a 'non lay', 'non slang' datasheet that calls a 6
cell lead acid battery anything other than a 12V battery.

12V is nominal voltage and dern close to actual at 50% capacity. At
full charge a "12V" lead acid will be around 12.7V and 10.5V when
discharged.

14.3V would be charging voltage.

The aircraft industry calls the 6 cell lead acid battery electrical
system, with an autoderivative (i.e., automotive with a FAA-PMA tag:
the alternator is $50 and the tag $450) alternator and a lead acid
battery that differs from lawn tractor only in having check ball caps,
"14V". The alternative is the 28V system which may use a 12 cell lead
acid battery or a nicad with somewhat more cells. The aircraft 14 and
28 volt systems have precisely the same usable ranges as the
automotive 12V and 24V (military vehicles and some older trucks and
buses have 24V) systems.

Bogey voltages for tubes are 6.3 and 12.6 volts which was said to be
a good midpoint in those days.

6 volt systems (never used in aircraft AFAIK) are often converted to
8 volt with a four cell battery. The six volt light bulbs glow
brightly, live not so long, but most old cars don't drive that much
anyway. If you have a 6 volt radio in the car what's the fix? A
dropping resistor I guess.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PhattyMo[_2_] PhattyMo[_2_] is offline

It's sorta like the "120Vac" or "240Vac" nomenclature. 120V may be
anywhere from like 115-130Vac.. "240" might actually be 220V,230V,240V,etc..

wrote:
[...]

If you say so, but all the ones I can find say "12V." Like this line

http://www.advancedpowerproducts.com/main_batteries.php

Application guide http://www.advancedpowerproducts.com/aag1.php

I didn't check each and every make but all the ones I did check were
either 12V or 24V

The alternative is the 28V system which may use a 12 cell lead
acid battery or a nicad with somewhat more cells. The aircraft 14 and
28 volt systems have precisely the same usable ranges as the
automotive 12V and 24V (military vehicles and some older trucks and
buses have 24V) systems.

Bogey voltages for tubes are 6.3 and 12.6 volts which was said to be
a good midpoint in those days.

6 volt systems (never used in aircraft AFAIK) are often converted to
8 volt with a four cell battery. The six volt light bulbs glow
brightly, live not so long, but most old cars don't drive that much
anyway. If you have a 6 volt radio in the car what's the fix? A
dropping resistor I guess.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

flipper wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:03:26 -0800, PhattyMo wrote:

It's sorta like the "120Vac" or "240Vac" nomenclature. 120V may be
anywhere from like 115-130Vac.. "240" might actually be 220V,230V,240V,etc..

I'm not sure what kind of "sorta like" you mean.

"Sorta like" my wall outlet measures 127.0Vac right now,according to my
DMM. Isn't the standard in the USA 120Vac,or 125Vac?

The 'standard' so called '12Volt' battery varies also,as you've pointed out.

It's 'sorta like' in that there's a voltage tolerance and the battery
ranges from 10.5V to 12.7V depending on it's charge. But if you mean
how line voltage used to be 110VAC nominal, then 115VAC nominal, then
117VAC nominal, then 120VAC nominal then it isn't because a 6 cell
battery is a 6 cell battery and the voltage per cell hasn't changed.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lee Arnold Lee Arnold is offline

Check out the Millet Headphone Amp. It uses a choice of 3 different tubes
designed for car radios so should be just what you need. . The tubes are
12FK6, 12AE6, 12FM6. I use one and love the sound. The tubes are reasonably
cheap, also.