Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

Old November 7th 20, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Paul[_21_]

Default Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONEof the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

Arlen Holder wrote:

> What I'm wondering is how the hell you knew it would be 48 pins square?

Well, it's a standard.

That makes it easy :-) Don't have to be Kreskin.

Intel issued HDAudio_03.pdf (2004), that's the spec.

"Industry standard 48-pin QFP package and pinout for codec." (Page 14)

Paul
Old November 7th 20, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Arlen Holder

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 19:41:00 -0500, Paul wrote:

> Well, it's a standard.
> That makes it easy :-) Don't have to be Kreskin.
> Intel issued HDAudio_03.pdf (2004), that's the spec.
> "Industry standard 48-pin QFP package and pinout for codec." (Page 14)
> Paul

Way back when, I once went to a Kreskin event, where I went up on stage.
o Then I left on my own accord 'cuz it was clear the games he was playing.

It turns out those who _want_ to _stay_ on stage will play his game...
o Those who don't play his game simply leave the stage (or don't go up).

Anyway, I get it now that the 48-pin pinout is the Intel specification.
o Where your sound controller is apparently an ADI AD1988A chip.
<https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/AD1988A_1988B.pdf>

While mine is definitely the Realtek ALC888S sound controller chip:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/44HsVbX0/48pinu6.jpg>
<https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC888S_DataSheet_1.2.pdf>
Old November 7th 20, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Paul[_21_]

Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 19:41:00 -0500, Paul wrote:
>
>> Well, it's a standard.
>> That makes it easy :-) Don't have to be Kreskin.
>> Intel issued HDAudio_03.pdf (2004), that's the spec.
>> "Industry standard 48-pin QFP package and pinout for codec." (Page 14)
>> Paul

> Way back when, I once went to a Kreskin event, where I went up on stage.
> o Then I left on my own accord 'cuz it was clear the games he was playing.
>
> It turns out those who _want_ to _stay_ on stage will play his game...
> o Those who don't play his game simply leave the stage (or don't go up).
>
> Anyway, I get it now that the 48-pin pinout is the Intel specification.
> o Where your sound controller is apparently an ADI AD1988A chip.
> <https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/AD1988A_1988B.pdf>
>
> While mine is definitely the Realtek ALC888S sound controller chip:
> o <https://i.postimg.cc/44HsVbX0/48pinu6.jpg>
> <https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC888S_DataSheet_1.2.pdf>

They went to a lot of trouble to get a Stereo_Mix in there.

Paul
Old November 7th 20, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Arlen Holder

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 20:22:52 -0500, Paul wrote:

>> o Where your sound controller is apparently an ADI AD1988A chip.
>> <https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/AD1988A_1988B.pdf>
>>
>> While mine is definitely the Realtek ALC888S sound controller chip:
>> o <https://i.postimg.cc/44HsVbX0/48pinu6.jpg>
>> <https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC888S_DataSheet_1.2.pdf>

> They went to a lot of trouble to get a Stereo_Mix in there.

I do not understand that statement, where I'm not sure who "they" is,
and I'm not sure how you know what they did to get "Stereo Mix" in.

Assuming "they" is "Realtek", & looking at the Realtek ALC888S datasheet
<https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC888S_DataSheet_1.2.pdf>
(which I had to convert with ghostscript/ghostview in order to copy)
I see they never mentioned "stereo mix", per se, but did mention a "mixer"
"Two stereo ADCs support 16/20-bit PCM format, one for stereo microphone,
one for legacy mixer recording"
"Supports legacy analog mixer architecture"

And they mention the sound output jacks on my pc on the back & front:
"It provides ten DAC channels that simultaneously support 7.1 sound
playback, plus independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming)
through the front panel stereo outputs."

With respect to the analog pins, it says:
"All analog IO are input and output capable, and headphone amplifiers
are also integrated at each analog output."
"All analog jacks are stereo input and output re-tasking
for analog plug & play"

In summary, Realtek never once mentioned "Stereo Mix" in that datasheet,
but they do mention that the ALC888S supports a "legacy analog mixer".
--
See conversion tutorial below to enable copy & paste above:
o Tutorial for installing ghostscript/ghostview/pstoedit to remove PDF copy & password protection , downconvert, rotate pages, change paper sizes, fix corruption, extract text, etc.