guitarPsych

Default how to clean an amp

I'm just getting back in to tube stereo for listening to music and as a
start I bought an old integrated amp/tuner. I took off the cover and,
although it works, it's really dirty inside. I'd like to just leave the
cover off so I can see the glowing tubes and I'd like to clean this amp.

Any suggestions on good and safe ways to clean an amp?

guitarPsych wrote:
I'm just getting back in to tube stereo for listening to music and as a
start I bought an old integrated amp/tuner. I took off the cover and,
although it works, it's really dirty inside. I'd like to just leave the
cover off so I can see the glowing tubes and I'd like to clean this amp.

Any suggestions on good and safe ways to clean an amp?

If it is really scuzzy (lots of tobacco residue, old mouse ****, etc.)
strip any vulnerable parts from the chassis (and few if any are
vulnerable), tape off any transformer and inductor openings, and put it
in a dishwasher with no heating on the cycle (not joking). Then leave
it in a closet with a running dehumidfier for a week, or use another
effective means of long, thorough drying at low humidity before
energizing it.

Fabio Berutti

Something in between the two extremes. First, a good compressed air blow to
remove most of dirt. Then an old toothbrush or a paint brush (used dry) to
clean "hidden" corners, then a soft cotton cloth dampened with water or
alcohol (better both at 50%). Use the toothbrush to push the cloth through
narrow spaces.
If it is still dirt, mild soap can be used instead of water to clean greasy
spots. As a chemical engineer, I never suggest using "strange" detergents
on surfaces of unknown chemical nature, it is very easy to destroy an old
lacquer / varnish. Common "Marseille" soap is the best. Then leave it to
dry for many days.
I'd go progressively from very mild to very strong methods.. the scope is
to clean it, not to dissolve it, I presume.
Contacts can be cleaned with deoxidiser spray an cotton fiocs. Remember to
be gentle. Then pick a very small plier and CAREFULLY re-tension socket
clips, if You dare

Ciao

Fabio

"Rick Yerke" ha scritto nel messaggio
If it is only dust i use a small air compressor and a small paint
brush.Rick

In article .com,
wrote:

guitarPsych wrote:
I'm just getting back in to tube stereo for listening to music and as a
start I bought an old integrated amp/tuner. I took off the cover and,
although it works, it's really dirty inside. I'd like to just leave the
cover off so I can see the glowing tubes and I'd like to clean this amp.

Any suggestions on good and safe ways to clean an amp?

If it is really scuzzy (lots of tobacco residue, old mouse ****, etc.)
strip any vulnerable parts from the chassis (and few if any are
vulnerable), tape off any transformer and inductor openings, and put it
in a dishwasher with no heating on the cycle (not joking). Then leave
it in a closet with a running dehumidfier for a week, or use another
effective means of long, thorough drying at low humidity before
energizing it.

Rick Yerke
101 William St

PO Box 392
Moscow Pa. 18444
USA

fryzz

Putting it in the dishwasher works very well, I've also found that a
hydrostatic paint sprayer and mineral spirits makes a nice improvished
pressure washer.

Frank

Mics, amplifiers, speakers and processors for sale in liquidation of production inventory Brotherdave Pro Audio 7 March 11th 04 12:22 PM
How to clean 1/8" headphone jack? Andy Tech 0 February 8th 04 09:58 PM
Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
clean mic pre 2mb Vacuum Tubes 1 January 3rd 04 03:49 AM
Problem with "Clean Plus" Ken Palmateer General 0 August 23rd 03 06:27 PM