Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gigio

Default LPs restoration

I'm going to work on a quite large collection of LP (classical music) in
order to put them on cd and dvd.
For each LP I'll make a 'restored' copy on (audio) cd and a 'natural' copy
at 24/96 in wav format on dvd.
For the A/D conversion I'm going to use my Prism Sound AD- 2.
At the moment, however, I don't a LP player. Can you suggest me a model?
And is it an ordinary preamp (like the Tascam MX-4) good or I need something
different?

Thanks in advice,

gigio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Gigio wrote:
I'm going to work on a quite large collection of LP (classical music) in
order to put them on cd and dvd.
For each LP I'll make a 'restored' copy on (audio) cd and a 'natural' copy
at 24/96 in wav format on dvd.
For the A/D conversion I'm going to use my Prism Sound AD- 2.
At the moment, however, I don't a LP player. Can you suggest me a model?
And is it an ordinary preamp (like the Tascam MX-4) good or I need something
different?

You will need a phono preamp. Not a mike preamp.

What is your budget? You can get an entry level system, say a
Thorens TD-124 with the stock arm, a Grado DJ-100 cartridge, and
an Adcom preamp for around $500 if you shop around for used gear.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gigio

This is a good budget for me...
Thansk for this information Scott!

Gigio

"Scott Dorsey" ha scritto nel messaggio
Gigio wrote:
I'm going to work on a quite large collection of LP (classical music) in
order to put them on cd and dvd.
For each LP I'll make a 'restored' copy on (audio) cd and a 'natural'
copy
at 24/96 in wav format on dvd.
For the A/D conversion I'm going to use my Prism Sound AD- 2.
At the moment, however, I don't a LP player. Can you suggest me a model?
And is it an ordinary preamp (like the Tascam MX-4) good or I need
something
different?

You will need a phono preamp. Not a mike preamp.

What is your budget? You can get an entry level system, say a
Thorens TD-124 with the stock arm, a Grado DJ-100 cartridge, and
an Adcom preamp for around $500 if you shop around for used gear.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Gigio" wrote in message

I'm going to work on a quite large collection of LP
(classical music) in order to put them on cd and dvd.
For each LP I'll make a 'restored' copy on (audio) cd and a 'natural' copy
at 24/96 in wav format on dvd.
For the A/D conversion I'm going to use my Prism Sound
AD- 2.

At the moment, however, I don't a LP player. Can you
suggest me a model?

What's your budget? ;-)

Rega and ProJect are good names of low-mid-priced hi fi phono equipment.

Technics still make direct drive turntables for the DJ market that aren't
too shabby. Shure cartridges are still good.

And is it an ordinary preamp (like
the Tascam MX-4) good or I need something different?

You need a preamp with RIAA equalization and a standard 47K ohm input
impedance for the typical MM cartridge.

Here's a source of a lot of RIAA preamps at just about any price level:

http://www.kabusa.com/index_pp.htm

Or, surf eBay for some classics. I picked up an APT/Holman that way.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:29:27 +0100, "Gigio"
wrote:

This is a good budget for me...
Thansk for this information Scott!

Don't forget a vacuum record cleaning machine, such as a Nitty
Gritty, starting, IIRC, in the $150 range. You WANT to clean every
record using such a device before playing/transcribing it. The way I
work is clean side 1, play side 1, clean side 2, play side 2. This
keeps each side as clean as possible before it gets played.

Gigio wrote:
I'm going to work on a quite large collection of LP (classical music) in
order to put them on cd and dvd.
For each LP I'll make a 'restored' copy on (audio) cd and a 'natural'
copy
at 24/96 in wav format on dvd.
For the A/D conversion I'm going to use my Prism Sound AD- 2.
At the moment, however, I don't a LP player. Can you suggest me a model?
And is it an ordinary preamp (like the Tascam MX-4) good or I need
something
different?

You will need a phono preamp. Not a mike preamp.

What is your budget? You can get an entry level system, say a
Thorens TD-124 with the stock arm, a Grado DJ-100 cartridge, and
an Adcom preamp for around $500 if you shop around for used gear.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:05:35 GMT, Ben Bradley
wrote:

Don't forget a vacuum record cleaning machine, such as a Nitty
Gritty, starting, IIRC, in the $150 range. You WANT to clean every
record using such a device before playing/transcribing it. The way I
work is clean side 1, play side 1, clean side 2, play side 2. This
keeps each side as clean as possible before it gets played.

I'd even say, you MUST clean every record...

It's the most important thing to do, IMO.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Only necessity is heavy, and only what is heavy has value."
-Milan Kundera, _The Unbearable Lightness of Being_
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Willie K. Yee, MD

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:51:18 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

I'd even say, you MUST clean every record...

It's the most important thing to do, IMO.

This is why some of us thought CD's were a great improvement.