Bardolator

Default How to choose good speakers?

I am buying a new house and finally decided which rooms I would need
the speakerss in. I want 8 stereo speakers (not 8 pairs) in total...4
in-wall and 4 in-ceiling. I just now have to buy Speakers, Receiver and
volume control.

First thing first..how to pick good speakers and receiver?

My budget is $800 for all the speakers. Any recommendation??? Please
advise.

Also where should I buy it from????

I went to the local stores and seems like they seem to be expensive
there. Heard, one do a lot better on eBay. Is it correct? Are there any
other online stores where it's cheap and at the same time, reliable?

What receiver should I go with? I want to have one speaker that
connects all the 8 speakers.

Please help me..

"Bardolator" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am buying a new house and finally decided which rooms I would need
the speakerss in. I want 8 stereo speakers (not 8 pairs) in total...4
in-wall and 4 in-ceiling. I just now have to buy Speakers, Receiver and
volume control.

First thing first..how to pick good speakers and receiver?

My budget is $800 for all the speakers. Any recommendation??? Please
advise.

My recomendation is to start with a good pair of front speakers for that
amount of money, not 8 separate speakers. You'll be better off in the long
run. Try getting the main speakers from someone who also makes speakers to
go along with the mains for home theatre.

If you absolutely have to get all 8 speakers now, try Polk, Boston
Accoustics and possibly Paradigm and NHT. All make decent speakers and all
make Home Theatre speaker systems. You can also look at Klipsch but I don't
know what their price points are.

Also where should I buy it from????

Check all the usual places like Best Buy, Good Guys, Circuit City and so
forth, but also try finding a particular model or models that you like and
plug them into price grabber.com or similar online discount searchers. I
recently had a friend save $100.00 over the Best Buy price of a Pioneer
receiver, $399.00 on line vs. 499.00 at Best Buy.

I went to the local stores and seems like they seem to be expensive
there. Heard, one do a lot better on eBay. Is it correct?

You probably can, but it make take longer than you wish to wait and you
can't hear them first.

Are there any
other online stores where it's cheap and at the same time, reliable?

Try Dealers Choice, Electronics Expo, J&R Music, Next Tag and Price Grabber.

What receiver should I go with? I want to have one speaker that
connects all the 8 speakers.

The Pioneer I just mentioned is quite good, THX certified and 120 wpc @ 8
ohms, with 7.1 setup. Lots of neat features including digital EQ.

Andy Katz

On 23 Aug 2005 15:53:55 -0700, "Bardolator"
wrote:

I am buying a new house and finally decided which rooms I would need
the speakerss in. I want 8 stereo speakers (not 8 pairs) in total...4
in-wall and 4 in-ceiling. I just now have to buy Speakers, Receiver and
volume control.

First thing first..how to pick good speakers and receiver?

My budget is $800 for all the speakers. Any recommendation??? Please
advise.

I'm a fan of both e-bay and BIC America. I bought a pair of DV 62 si
last year and have been very happy with them. Matter of fact I just
bought a pair of B&W CM2s for $900.00. They're set up along with the
BICs in my living room. While the B&Ws are still breaking in, I think
the BICs are holding their own against them.

I don't see any 62s listed right now on e-bay, but Amazon has them for
110/pair.

I'm also a fan of used B&W 200 series. They're about the same size as
the BICs, wonderful for detail and clarity. You can generally get them
for about the same money (ebay) or even a bit less.

For wall mounts:

One of the URLs below links to an in-wall model of BIC America. I
haven't heard it, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them based on the
62's performance.

Another choice might be:

http://tinyurl.com/9ttng

Or,

http://www.hififorless.com/categorie...575&d=2&src=10

You ought to be able to get your speakers for about 500 - 600, and
perhaps put the rest into a multichannel AV receiver to run them?

There are several companies, eg, Axiom, that sell reasonably-priced,
highly esteemed speakers direct, mail order only, so presumably you're
not paying a showroom's rent or salesman's salary when you buy them.

Also where should I buy it from????

I went to the local stores and seems like they seem to be expensive
there. Heard, one do a lot better on eBay. Is it correct? Are there any
other online stores where it's cheap and at the same time, reliable?

What receiver should I go with? I want to have one speaker that
connects all the 8 speakers.

If you mean receiver, then you're definitely going multichannel. A
stereo receiver or amp will only power four speakers, two sets of two.

Andy Katz
Being lied to so billionaires can wage war for profits
while indebting taxpayers for generations to come, now
that's just a tad bit bigger than not admitting you like
the big moist-moist lips of chunky trollops on your pecker.

Paghat, the Rat Girl