jcor28 jcor28 is offline
Junior Member

Default Need help on how to wire up a DVC 2 ohm speaker to a 4 channel amp

I have a Kicker CVR 12 DVC (2 ohm). I fried my last amp because of wireng it up wrong. I got this second hand amp for now... It is a Jensen lxa400 4 channel amp. it has a built in crossover with what i believe are seperate gain controls...(not to sure)On the back of the amp it sayi can yous 2,4,or8 ohm speakers. but not to use... (2 ohm speaker in bridged (mono) mode only)... is what it says...I'm just trying to get the most out of the as i can till I can aford the amp i need thanks for the help

Thanks for the answers, i wired mine parralle form insted of series....

Last edited by jcor28 : May 30th 08 at 11:48 PM Reason: got the answer i needed
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

jcor28 wrote:
I have a Kicker CVR 12 DVC (2 ohm). I fried my last amp because of
wireng it up wrong. I got this second hand amp for now... It is a
Jensen lxa400 4 channel amp. it has a built in crossover with what i
believe are seperate gain controls...(not to sure)On the back of the
amp it sayi can yous 2,4,or8 ohm speakers. but not to use... (2 ohm
speaker in bridged (mono) mode only)... is what it says...I'm just
trying to get the most out of the as i can till I can aford the amp i
need thanks for the help

Wire your voice coils in series to go bridged mono OR run the DVC sub in
stereo off of your amp. I would only do the latter if your amp had a
mono switch (i.e. convert the stereo input to mono NOT to be confused
with bridging). DVC subs DO NOT play well if you happen to have a music
source that produces a stereo bass with the sub wired in stereo. Before
anyone tells me I am crazy because there are no music sources that have
stereo bass, I will retort back and say for certain that many genres of
modern electronic music do indeed have stereo bass!
jcor28 jcor28 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcor28 View Post
I have a Kicker CVR 12 DVC (2 ohm). I fried my last amp because of wireng it up wrong. I got this second hand amp for now... It is a Jensen lxa400 4 channel amp. it has a built in crossover with what i believe are seperate gain controls...(not to sure)On the back of the amp it sayi can yous 2,4,or8 ohm speakers. but not to use... (2 ohm speaker in bridged (mono) mode only)... is what it says...I'm just trying to get the most out of the as i can till I can aford the amp i need thanks for the help
but if i wire in series do i drop the amp into a to a low of an ohm load--- because thats what i did on the last amp... i wish i bought a 4 ohm dvc this amp is what i get only 2 ohm stable... and if i wire in stereo is it two channels per voice coil i forget...(4 channel amp)
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...

--
jcor28

How many DVC speakers? I think you mentioned only 1.

If each coil of the DVC speaker is 2 ohms, wiring the speakers VC's in
series [ +(VC#1 )- +(VC#2 )- ], the speakers VC's wired to each other
(neg - to pos +), will result in 4 ohms.

For some illustrations look he
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=68

In the case of the above links illustrations, each speaker represents 1
voice coil, so your DVC sub would be equivalent to 2 speakers. This
shows both the parallel and series wiring, with 1 2 ohm DVC speaker use
the series wiring diagram (2nd illustration).

Here is another site with diagrams: http://tinyurl.com/34sagz

In your case at the top of the page enter 1 speaker 2ohm DVC and
illustrations for both series and parallel wiring of a DVC speaker will
be shown. Again use the series wiring method to get 4 ohms.

Argh, you are bringing back nightmares of my physics professor who was
also a car audio installer at the time. He had a bonus question on one
of his physics tests as to how to wire up 26 speakers off of a single
car stereo amp without dropping below the 2 ohm per channel minimum.....
To make it more tricky, he threw in speakers with 4, 6, and 8 ohm
values.

At least I got it right :-)