Posted to rec.audio.car,uk.rec.audio.car
Stephanie[_2_] Stephanie[_2_] is offline

Default What security measures to take?

I thought I'd buy an older car for cheap transportation. It turns out I
bought the model that is #3 on the U.S. Most Stolen Car list ('89 Toyota
Camry).

Short of installing LoJack, what do you recommend?

Is a regular audible alarm with ignition- or starter-disabler effective?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Stef

Posted to rec.audio.car,uk.rec.audio.car
Derek Derek is offline

"Stephanie" wrote in message
obal.net...
I thought I'd buy an older car for cheap transportation. It turns out I
bought the model that is #3 on the U.S. Most Stolen Car list ('89 Toyota
Camry).

Short of installing LoJack, what do you recommend?

Is a regular audible alarm with ignition- or starter-disabler effective?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Stef

Since you are quoting a US source of information perhaps asking a US
newsgroup would be the way to go as UK theft profiles are somewhat different
as are the security devices available. If indeed you are in the UK you will
no doubt be happy to know the Camry does not figure in recent lists
http://www.cararticles.co.uk/uk-the-...olen-cars.html
http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_...umentid=996752
Derek

Posted to rec.audio.car,uk.rec.audio.car
Stephanie[_2_] Stephanie[_2_] is offline

Since you are quoting a US source of information perhaps asking a US
newsgroup would be the way to go as UK theft profiles are somewhat different
as are the security devices available. If indeed you are in the UK you will
no doubt be happy to know the Camry does not figure in recent lists
http://www.cararticles.co.uk/uk-the-...olen-cars.html
http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_...umentid=996752
Derek

Happy to hear.

The Internet is indeed a worldwide phenom. Security devices can't be *that*
different, can they? Brand issues aside...

Creativity isn't limited by borders. Got some good ideas?

Thanks,
Stef

Posted to rec.audio.car,uk.rec.audio.car
Derek Derek is offline

"Stephanie" wrote in message
obal.net...
Since you are quoting a US source of information perhaps asking a US
newsgroup would be the way to go as UK theft profiles are somewhat
different
as are the security devices available. If indeed you are in the UK you
will
no doubt be happy to know the Camry does not figure in recent lists
http://www.cararticles.co.uk/uk-the-...olen-cars.html
http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_...umentid=996752
Derek

Happy to hear.

The Internet is indeed a worldwide phenom. Security devices can't be
*that*
different, can they? Brand issues aside...

Creativity isn't limited by borders. Got some good ideas?

Thanks,
Stef

Oddly yes enough we have ( amongst others) the Spalsat 'Tracker' system
http://www.electrifyingtouch.co.uk/i...rm/tracker.htm where
you have Lojack ( I understand a UK company is developing it for use over
here) . Our alarm systems which our insurers require are Thatchem approved
Cat 1 alarm immobiliser and Cat 2 stand alone immobiliser( both have to
fitted by a certified installer) I would expect US insurers would require a
homegrown approval. If you dont need an approved device Ebay abounds with
feature packed japanese alarms. I fitted a pretty good one with dual
circuit immobiliser voltage drop detection ,shock, ultrasonic perimiter
sensor and internal pressure sensor tho' the perimiter unit was not very
reliable ( Cat + German Shepherd+ Spaniel issues )
I would be looking for
1) self arming - with disable (valet ) otherwise maintainence is a problem
2)battery backup-in case the thief attempts to disconnect
3)2 circuit immobiliser usually starter and fuel circuits
4) internal sensor - volumetric or ultrasonic
5) 2 stage alarm so an accidental nudge does not trigger a full alarm event
6) avoid voice warning systems unless they can be muted my neighbours were
not impressed by the phrase "system disarmed" when I was on early duty.

Derek

Kikes, her lemon was distant, abysmal, and measures around the forest, Noisy Barfly. Dave Balderstone Pro Audio 0 June 27th 06 11:23 AM
Auto Security Dr Know Car Audio 1 November 30th 04 02:41 AM
PRIME Security AMX 88 Jack Allen Car Audio 0 January 3rd 04 04:16 PM
Distortion measures that mimic subjective impressions Dennis Moore High End Audio 92 November 10th 03 04:51 AM
cool security jcheshire123 Car Audio 0 September 29th 03 09:14 PM