Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default overvoltage on audio circuits

geoff wrote:
On 27/10/2019 2:59 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
On 26/10/2019 1:18 pm, gareth magennis wrote:
Well I haven't scoped the supply as yet but will certainly do so.

Just stuck 20 ohms on each leg to find out what it might do, before connecting any module, and didn't like the overvoltage.

Sounds like a fairly random shonky empirical tack-on to me, rather than
a solid scientific 'good' firm supply. If you want +/-15V JUST DO IT.
iF YOU WANT +/-18v JUST DO IT. dON'Y DO SOMETHING ELSE AND STICK A
SERIES RESISTOR IN TO DO MAYBE WHATEVER DEPENDING ON WHAT HAPPENS. And
+/-24V- what's that all about ?

I think he means he used a 20 ohm shunt resistor as a test load.
Not a series resistor.

I was more referring to the claimed practice of SSL to stick a series
resistor in the power supply legs after regulation.

Oh, safety resistors! Yeah that's a good idea. It may degrade the sound,
but when capacitors short it dramatically reduces the collateral damage.
The SSLs aren't designed to sound great, they are designed to be convenient
and reliable. Philips was big on that practice too.