Yamaha RX-V596 humming

Old June 13th 10, 01:48 AM
Adamfarber Adamfarber is offline
Junior Member

Default Yamaha RX-V596 humming

Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V596 home theater that has all of a sudden started to hum, unit is about 8 years old. . You can hear it in all the speakers, it is coming from the unit itself, anyone know what I can do? Thanks, Adam
Old June 13th 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_2_]

"Adamfarber" > wrote in message

> Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V596 home theater that has all of a sudden
> started to hum, unit is about 8 years old. . You can hear it in all the
> speakers, it is coming from the unit itself, anyone know what I can do?
> Thanks, Adam
>

> --
> Adamfarber

If the Yamaha were actually producing hum, this would indicate most likely a
power supply problem.
Normally the Yamaha's protection circuit would shut it down in this
scenario.

Does the problem with ONLY the speakers and no other devices hooked up?

If not, perhaps a ground loop. This is not uncommon.

If so, maybe a main power supply capacitor open circuit - I'm not sure if
that would trigger the protect circuit.

Mark Z.

Old June 13th 10, 08:56 PM
Adamfarber Adamfarber is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zacharias[_2_] View Post
"Adamfarber" > wrote in message

> Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V596 home theater that has all of a sudden
> started to hum, unit is about 8 years old. . You can hear it in all the
> speakers, it is coming from the unit itself, anyone know what I can do?
> Thanks, Adam
>

> --
> Adamfarber

If the Yamaha were actually producing hum, this would indicate most likely a
power supply problem.
Normally the Yamaha's protection circuit would shut it down in this
scenario.

Does the problem with ONLY the speakers and no other devices hooked up?

If not, perhaps a ground loop. This is not uncommon.

If so, maybe a main power supply capacitor open circuit - I'm not sure if
that would trigger the protect circuit.

Mark Z.
Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam
Old June 14th 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

On 6/13/2010 12:56 PM Adamfarber spake thus:

> Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the
> outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam

The "him"?
Oh, you must mean the "hymn".

Old June 14th 10, 09:58 AM
Adamfarber Adamfarber is offline
Junior Member

[quote=David Nebenzahl;911263]On 6/13/2010 12:56 PM Adamfarber spake thus:

> Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the
> outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam

The "him"?
Oh, you must mean the "hymn".

Whoops, meant HUM, thanks, Adam
Old June 14th 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_2_]

"Adamfarber" > wrote in message

> 'Mark Zacharias[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;911215']"Adamfarber" > wrote in
>> message
>> ...-
>> >
>> > Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V596 home theater that has all of a sudden
>> > started to hum, unit is about 8 years old. . You can hear it in all

>> the
>> > speakers, it is coming from the unit itself, anyone know what I can

>> do?
>> > Thanks, Adam
>> >

>> > --
>> > Adamfarber-

>> If the Yamaha were actually producing hum, this would indicate most
>> likely a
>> power supply problem.
>> Normally the Yamaha's protection circuit would shut it down in this
>> scenario.
>>
>> Does the problem with ONLY the speakers and no other devices hooked
>> up?
>>
>> If not, perhaps a ground loop. This is not uncommon.
>>
>> If so, maybe a main power supply capacitor open circuit - I'm not sure
>> if
>> that would trigger the protect circuit.
>>
>> Mark Z.

> Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the
> outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam
>

> --
> Adamfarber

Well, you would need a schematic at this point, which brings up the
question, are you a technical person and able to read the schematic?

Mark Z.

Old June 14th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred[_12_]

"Adamfarber" > wrote in message ...

> David Nebenzahl;911263 Wrote:
>> On 6/13/2010 12:56 PM Adamfarber spake thus:
>> -
>> > Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the
>> > outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam-

>> The "him"?
>> Oh, you must mean the "hymn".
>>

>> Whoops, meant HUM, thanks, Adam

Most likely a cap in one of the low voltage supplies has failed, feeding unfiltered
DC to a regulator which cannot maintain smooth output voltage because the input
is going to zero 120 times a second.

You have to be a technician with troubleshooting skills, experience with AV receivers,
test equipment and service information to fix this. Assuming that's not you, the unit
needs to go to a Yamaha warranty station for repair (Yamaha's warranty stations have
access not just to service manuals but also to confidential service bulletins, and more
importantly they have access to the technical staff at Yamaha, which is the only really
competent technical staff in the business). I can call Allen at Yamaha, give him the
model number, and he'll tell me what the problem is and how to fix it because he and his
staff know their equipment that well.

Obviously, I work for a Yamaha warranty station. That's the only company we still do
warranty audio work for, because it's the only one with a staff that knows a damn thing
about their product. Well, them and McIntosh, but there are no Mac dealers around here,
so they don't figure they need a warranty station here (Reno, NV).

Fred

Old June 14th 10, 06:44 PM

[quote='Fred[_12_];911292']"Adamfarber" > wrote in message ...

> David Nebenzahl;911263 Wrote:
>> On 6/13/2010 12:56 PM Adamfarber spake thus:
>> -
>> > Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the
>> > outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam-

>> The "him"?
>> Oh, you must mean the "hymn".
>>

>> Whoops, meant HUM, thanks, Adam

Most likely a cap in one of the low voltage supplies has failed, feeding unfiltered
DC to a regulator which cannot maintain smooth output voltage because the input
is going to zero 120 times a second.

You have to be a technician with troubleshooting skills, experience with AV receivers,
test equipment and service information to fix this. Assuming that's not you, the unit
needs to go to a Yamaha warranty station for repair (Yamaha's warranty stations have
access not just to service manuals but also to confidential service bulletins, and more
importantly they have access to the technical staff at Yamaha, which is the only really
competent technical staff in the business). I can call Allen at Yamaha, give him the
model number, and he'll tell me what the problem is and how to fix it because he and his
staff know their equipment that well.

Obviously, I work for a Yamaha warranty station. That's the only company we still do
warranty audio work for, because it's the only one with a staff that knows a damn thing
about their product. Well, them and McIntosh, but there are no Mac dealers around here,
so they don't figure they need a warranty station here (Reno, NV).

Fred

Hey Fred, thanks for the post. I am somewhat handy, if someone could narrow down which part(s) may be suspect I will replace them so any help you could give me would be GREAT! Adam
Old June 15th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred[_12_]

"Adamfarber" > wrote in message ...

> 'Fred[_12_ Wrote:
>> ;911292']"Adamfarber" > wrote in
>> message ...-

>> the

>> Adam--

>> Most likely a cap in one of the low voltage supplies has failed,
>> feeding unfiltered
>> DC to a regulator which cannot maintain smooth output voltage because
>> the input
>> is going to zero 120 times a second.
>>
>> You have to be a technician with troubleshooting skills, experience
>> with AV receivers,
>> test equipment and service information to fix this. Assuming that's
>> not you, the unit
>> needs to go to a Yamaha warranty station for repair (Yamaha's warranty
>> stations have
>> access not just to service manuals but also to confidential service
>> bulletins, and more
>> importantly they have access to the technical staff at Yamaha, which is
>> the only really
>> competent technical staff in the business). I can call Allen at
>> Yamaha, give him the
>> model number, and he'll tell me what the problem is and how to fix it
>> because he and his
>> staff know their equipment that well.
>>
>> Obviously, I work for a Yamaha warranty station. That's the only
>> company we still do
>> warranty audio work for, because it's the only one with a staff that
>> knows a damn thing
>> about their product. Well, them and McIntosh, but there are no Mac
>> dealers around here,
>> so they don't figure they need a warranty station here (Reno, NV).
>>
>> Fred
>>

>> Hey Fred, thanks for the post. I am somewhat handy, if someone could
>> narrow down which part(s) may be suspect I will replace them so any
>> help you could give me would be GREAT! Adam

I'll check the service manual & bulletins when I get back to work (I'm out with
the flu at the moment, and don't know for sure when that will be; sometime in
the next day or three) and see if I can give you any worth while advice. Some
models are damn near impossible to take apart and get back together without
the manual. There can be 20 or more cables that have to be unplugged and
then plugged back in to the right socket on the right board on reassembly, just
to get to the board(s) you need to work on. I'm assuming you want to try a
shotgun approach and just replace every cap that could be causing the problem.
It'd take a 'scope to figure out what cap *is* the problem.

Watch this thread; I'll post again when I have some information for you.

Fred

Old June 15th 10, 07:29 AM

[quote='Fred[_12_];911336']"Adamfarber" > wrote in message ...

> 'Fred[_12_ Wrote:
>> ;911292']"Adamfarber" > wrote in
>> message ...-

>> the

>> Adam--

>> Most likely a cap in one of the low voltage supplies has failed,
>> feeding unfiltered
>> DC to a regulator which cannot maintain smooth output voltage because
>> the input
>> is going to zero 120 times a second.
>>
>> You have to be a technician with troubleshooting skills, experience
>> with AV receivers,
>> test equipment and service information to fix this. Assuming that's
>> not you, the unit
>> needs to go to a Yamaha warranty station for repair (Yamaha's warranty
>> stations have
>> access not just to service manuals but also to confidential service
>> bulletins, and more
>> importantly they have access to the technical staff at Yamaha, which is
>> the only really
>> competent technical staff in the business). I can call Allen at
>> Yamaha, give him the
>> model number, and he'll tell me what the problem is and how to fix it
>> because he and his
>> staff know their equipment that well.
>>
>> Obviously, I work for a Yamaha warranty station. That's the only
>> company we still do
>> warranty audio work for, because it's the only one with a staff that
>> knows a damn thing
>> about their product. Well, them and McIntosh, but there are no Mac
>> dealers around here,
>> so they don't figure they need a warranty station here (Reno, NV).
>>
>> Fred
>>

>> Hey Fred, thanks for the post. I am somewhat handy, if someone could
>> narrow down which part(s) may be suspect I will replace them so any
>> help you could give me would be GREAT! Adam

I'll check the service manual & bulletins when I get back to work (I'm out with
the flu at the moment, and don't know for sure when that will be; sometime in
the next day or three) and see if I can give you any worth while advice. Some
models are damn near impossible to take apart and get back together without
the manual. There can be 20 or more cables that have to be unplugged and
then plugged back in to the right socket on the right board on reassembly, just
to get to the board(s) you need to work on. I'm assuming you want to try a
shotgun approach and just replace every cap that could be causing the problem.
It'd take a 'scope to figure out what cap *is* the problem.

Watch this thread; I'll post again when I have some information for you.

Fred

Shall do Fred, thanks again for trying! Adam

humming noise [email protected] General 2 November 9th 05 03:19 AM
Radio humming noise rome Tech 1 September 18th 05 04:29 AM
Radio humming noise rome Tech 0 September 17th 05 07:57 PM
humming transformer gojamo Vacuum Tubes 11 March 13th 05 07:55 PM
yamaha rx v596 and aiwa sd dv370 news.online.de Tech 3 August 11th 03 05:58 AM