Which Caig Product for a Mackie 1604VLZ (the original VLZ model)

Old December 16th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Which Caig Product for a Mackie 1604VLZ (the original VLZ model)

Hello all !

I'm in the process of cleaning out the spider webs from a Mackie
1604VLZ mixer and would like to know which Caig product would be most
appropriate for the faders, pots and the ribbon cable connectors.

I have the Audio/Video survival kit from Caig Labs and it includes:

1. DeOxit
2. Calilube MCL
3. ProGold

All come in spray and jelly based formulas.

Any other tips, advice would be appreciated!

Happy Holidays to all!

Joey
Old December 16th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

>I'm in the process of cleaning out the spider webs from a Mackie
>1604VLZ mixer and would like to know which Caig product would be most
>appropriate for the faders, pots and the ribbon cable connectors.
>
>I have the Audio/Video survival kit from Caig Labs and it includes:
>
>1. DeOxit
>2. Calilube MCL
>3. ProGold
>
>All come in spray and jelly based formulas.
>
>Any other tips, advice would be appreciated!

What problem are you trying to solve? If it's the usual Mackie ribbon
cable thing with intermittent channels and busses, Caig won't help.
Old December 16th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 16, 2:14 pm, Laurence Payne <NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com>
wrote:
> >I'm in the process of cleaning out the spider webs from a Mackie
> >1604VLZ mixer and would like to know which Caig product would be most
> >appropriate for the faders, pots and the ribbon cable connectors.

> >I have the Audio/Video survival kit from Caig Labs and it includes:

> >1. DeOxit
> >2. Calilube MCL
> >3. ProGold

> >All come in spray and jelly based formulas.

> >Any other tips, advice would be appreciated!

> What problem are you trying to solve? If it's the usual Mackie ribbon
> cable thing with intermittent channels and busses, Caig won't help.

No it's not the ribbon cable problem.
I've already lived through that one and Mackie sent me a new set which
I installed about 2 years ago.
A real PITA BTW.

It's just some noisy pots because the board was sitting idle for a
year or so in less than great environmental conditions. ie:a basement :
(

I want to freshen it up because I'm planning on using it in my studio.

Old December 16th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>
>It's just some noisy pots because the board was sitting idle for a
>year or so in less than great environmental conditions. ie:a basement :
>(

So apply Cailube to the pots.

Old December 16th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 16, 2:57 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >It's just some noisy pots because the board was sitting idle for a
> >year or so in less than great environmental conditions. ie:a basement :
> >(

> So apply Cailube to the pots.
> --scott
>
> --

Thanks Scott!
I was just worried about whatever material the Mackie pots are made of
having problems with the chemicals because I thought I read someplace
about plastic pots vs metal and carbon pots (old stuff) having
different requirements as far as flushing and re-lubing.

Old December 16th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On Dec 16, 3:20 pm, wrote:

> I was just worried about whatever material the Mackie pots are made of
> having problems with the chemicals because I thought I read someplace
> about plastic pots vs metal and carbon pots (old stuff) having
> different requirements as far as flushing and re-lubing.

Mackie's official recommendation for the pots is to just blow out the
dust with compressed air and not use a cleaner. I think they were
afraid that if they didn't specify a brand people might get the greasy
kid stuff, and if they did specify a brand they'd feel responsible for
pots failing (maybe years) after a cleaning.

Cailube is good and it won't hurt. And if you didn't put a dab of Pro
Gold on the ribbon connectors when you replaced them, might as well do
it as long as you have the mixer opened up.
Old December 16th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
joey1263[email protected]

On Dec 16, 4:12 pm, Mike Rivers > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 3:20 pm, wrote:
>
> > I was just worried about whatever material the Mackie pots are made of
> > having problems with the chemicals because I thought I read someplace
> > about plastic pots vs metal and carbon pots (old stuff) having
> > different requirements as far as flushing and re-lubing.

> Mackie's official recommendation for the pots is to just blow out the
> dust with compressed air and not use a cleaner. I think they were
> afraid that if they didn't specify a brand people might get the greasy
> kid stuff, and if they did specify a brand they'd feel responsible for
> pots failing (maybe years) after a cleaning.
>
> Cailube is good and it won't hurt. And if you didn't put a dab of Pro
> Gold on the ribbon connectors when you replaced them, might as well do
> it as long as you have the mixer opened up.

Thank you Mike and Scott for the advice.
I didn't put any Pro Gold on when I replaced the ribbon cables so as
long as I have the beast opened up, not an easy trick BTW, I shall do
that as well.
Old December 16th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
D C[_2_]

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Mackie's official recommendation for the pots is to just blow out the
> dust with compressed air and not use a cleaner. I think they were
> afraid that if they didn't specify a brand people might get the greasy
> kid stuff, and if they did specify a brand they'd feel responsible for
> pots failing (maybe years) after a cleaning.

I remember when their first mixers came out, they made a point of the
pots being sealed, and none of this stuff would be needed. You'd know
betterm of course, since you wrote a lot of their manuals.
Old December 16th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 16, 5:55 pm, D C > wrote:
> Mike Rivers wrote:
> > Mackie's official recommendation for the pots is to just blow out the
> > dust with compressed air and not use a cleaner. I think they were
> > afraid that if they didn't specify a brand people might get the greasy
> > kid stuff, and if they did specify a brand they'd feel responsible for
> > pots failing (maybe years) after a cleaning.

> I remember when their first mixers came out, they made a point of the
> pots being sealed, and none of this stuff would be needed. You'd know
> betterm of course, since you wrote a lot of their manuals.

I remember this as well!!
Also the fact that the knobs have a ridge on them which prevents them
from impaling themselves into the board if something gets dropped on
the desk.
IOW the ridge hits the faceplate before the the shaft of the pot ends
up coming out the back of the pot.

Gotta give Mackie credit, their manuals are legendary.
Old December 16th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick

"D C" > wrote in message
. ..
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
>> Mackie's official recommendation for the pots is to just blow out the
>> dust with compressed air and not use a cleaner. I think they were
>> afraid that if they didn't specify a brand people might get the greasy
>> kid stuff, and if they did specify a brand they'd feel responsible for
>> pots failing (maybe years) after a cleaning.

> I remember when their first mixers came out, they made a point of the pots
> being sealed, and none of this stuff would be needed. You'd know betterm
> of course, since you wrote a lot of their manuals.

I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Only if the pot is then too dry and rough
do I put a little DeOxit in it.