Posted to rec.audio.car
Anthony Watters Anthony Watters is offline

Default expanding iPod hard drive

looking for a way to expand the amount of storage to 1 TB in my iPod so that
I can convert all of my 1000 CD's to wavs - non compressed format for use in
my car. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

Glue 1000's of iPods together.

In article , "Anthony Watters"
wrote:
looking for a way to expand the amount of storage to 1 TB in my iPod so that
I can convert all of my 1000 CD's to wavs - non compressed format for use in
my car. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob zee bob zee is offline

Anthony Watters wrote:
looking for a way to expand the amount of storage to 1 TB in my iPod so that
I can convert all of my 1000 CD's to wavs - non compressed format for use in
my car. Anyone have any ideas?

I was going to reply to this with something about using a compression
method other than mp3, something about not compressing the files down
to 128kb, but after re-reading it, i decided that it is just another
ipod question. yet, i can't resist.

if you truly want to put an uncompressed music collection in your car,
you need to lose the ipod and put in a real computer using this as your
starting point:
http://www.dashpc.com/

and if you decide that the hardware costs are going to be too much, you
can save a little money on the terabyte hard drives by compressing your
music files using a superior compression utility and, MOST IMPORTANTLY
- NOT compressing them to 128kb. Compress them things to only 384 or
512. You will drastically reduce your storage requirements whilst
enjoying the benefits of your near perfect sound reproduction.

audio encoder:
http://www.vorbis.com/

bob z.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Darthn3ss Darthn3ss is offline

mp3car.com for car pc stuff.

i'd highly doubt you're going to fidn a 1tb hard drive that would fit
in an ipod - and on top of that, its probably safe to assume that if
you did find a 1tb hard drive that woudl fit in an ipod and you could
afford it, the ipod would not recognize that much space.

--
Darthn3ss
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Darthn3ss wrote:
mp3car.com for car pc stuff.

i'd highly doubt you're going to fidn a 1tb hard drive that would fit
in an ipod - and on top of that, its probably safe to assume that if
you did find a 1tb hard drive that woudl fit in an ipod and you could
afford it, the ipod would not recognize that much space.

Considering it's pretty hard to even find a 1TB drive in a standard 3.5" form
factor, yeah, I doubt you'd find something small enough to go *inside* an iPod.
Biggest one my regular retailer even carries is 500GB; Seagate's website
doesn't list anything over 750GB.

It's an interesting concept, but I smell troll...

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Anthony,

If you're interested in doing uncompressed audio on an iPod, get an 80
GB model and use Apple Lossless compression. It give you about 40-50%
compression, but decompresses exactly the same as the bits on your CD.

Figure you have 1000 CDs at 650 MB each. Fully uncompressed, this would
be 650 GB, but with Apple Lossless it would be more like 300 GB. Still
won't fit, but it's a start.

Of course, you could buy 4 iPods.

smiles,
Jamie