J L

Default Kenwood KRC-2007/1007 post stereo trouble that makes no sense

My uncle has a 79 Z/28 (which I'm sure is irrelevant). I installed a
2007 model stereo in it a few years ago. He told me he was driving along
when all of a sudden the radio quit playing.

Here is the situation: the unit is getting power because the power
antenna goes up and down, and the backlights come on. The display lights as
well, but there are no numbers or anything...just a blank green display. I
asked him if a tape would play and he replied it wouldn't. So, he purchased
a new post stereo (a 1007 model). I hooked up the power, ignition, ground,
and power antenna. The exact same thing occurs...no numbers in the display,
just button and display backlighting and the power antenna operates. So, it
makes absolutely no sense! I'm making a circuit so that the unit powers on,
but there are no numbers in the display. There's nothing more I can do
except give the unit power. Just to clarify: there is no sound whatsoever
with all the wires hooked up to the old one, complete silence.

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

Sounds like only one of your two power leads is connected.

You have a red and a yellow wire on your harness.
The red should be connected to a switched ignition wire (one that only has
power when the key is on).

The yellow gets connected to a battery lead - one that has power all the time.

My best guess is that its the yellow wire that is not getting power. The break
in the circuit could be at the plug itself, in a connector, or in a fuse -
either the units fuse or the cars fusebox. Most likely the problem is at the
cars fusebox or at your connector.

..
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Buckshot

Hey J L Check the interior light fuse. (If thats relavent). Or whatever
fuse you have the memory wire going to for power. Usually yellow I guess. I
had the same problem and it ended up being that fuse good luck with it..

Buckshot

"Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology" wrote in
message ...

.
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php

J L

"Buckshot" wrote in message
[...]

Hey thanks. You guys were right. My uncle called me the next day and told
me after five hours he figured out the problem. It was indeed an inline
fuse (HIDDEN! he claimed). This was a confusing situation to me. I figured
since the unit turned on that it was receiving power. Evidently, not
enough.

Buckshot

It recieved power, but the memory, and the actual display didn't have power.
I do believe the lights and backlights and such are on the ACC power of the
car so they only operate when the cars on. Then the lettering (display and
memory) are hooked to constant 12v, that way nothing is lost.

Buckshot