Bill

Default Pioneer Premier internal amp

Frequency response 50 - 15000 Hz. Is this typical of most hu amps?

MZ

Frequency response 50 - 15000 Hz. Is this typical of most hu amps?

A freq resp. is meaningless without a level associated with it. You'll
commonly see +/- 1dB or +/- 3 dB after it.

Bill

Specs only list 5% THD in association with the low and top end frequency
pass through.

"MZ" wrote in message
Frequency response 50 - 15000 Hz. Is this typical of most hu amps?

A freq resp. is meaningless without a level associated with it. You'll
commonly see +/- 1dB or +/- 3 dB after it.

MZ

Specs only list 5% THD in association with the low and top end frequency
pass through.

Not sure exactly what's meant by that. THD changes considerably based on
output level as well, so you can't really tag 5% THD to a certain bandwidth
without knowing the output level. And then the question becomes...what is
the source of the harmonic distortion? And what is its frequency content?
In other words, ignore THD ratings, because they not very relevant.

Anyway, here's a link to the freq response of a Pioneer DEHP9300:

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/hd_u...P9300chts.html

This one has essentially a flat freq resp across the entire bandwidth. The
slight -1dB dips that you see on each end are inaudible to to their small
magnitude and relatively small bandwidth.

Bill

So if I understand this correctly, the graph shows that the frequency
response of the internal amp is wider than what is stated in the
manual(DHE-P930). Based on the manual I was surmising that the internal amp
did not process frequencies below 50 and above 15000 Hz. Thanks.

"MZ" wrote in message
Specs only list 5% THD in association with the low and top end

frequency
pass through.

Not sure exactly what's meant by that. THD changes considerably based on
output level as well, so you can't really tag 5% THD to a certain

bandwidth
without knowing the output level. And then the question becomes...what is
the source of the harmonic distortion? And what is its frequency content?
In other words, ignore THD ratings, because they not very relevant.

Anyway, here's a link to the freq response of a Pioneer DEHP9300:

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/hd_u...P9300chts.html

This one has essentially a flat freq resp across the entire bandwidth.

The
slight -1dB dips that you see on each end are inaudible to to their small
magnitude and relatively small bandwidth.

MZ

So if I understand this correctly, the graph shows that the frequency
response of the internal amp is wider than what is stated in the
manual(DHE-P930). Based on the manual I was surmising that the internal

amp
did not process frequencies below 50 and above 15000 Hz. Thanks.

I don't know if it's the same model as yours, but if it's made in the same
year the design is quite possibly the same. In any case, there's never a
steep cutoff. As you can see from the graph, the frequency response of this
unit would be 20Hz-20kHz @ +/-1 dB. It would probably also be something
like 10-40kHz @ +/- 3dB if you extended the graph out. The problem is that
manufacturers will sometimes just put "20-20kHz" or "10-50kHz" or whatever
in the specifications, leaving you without an idea what they're talking
about because they're not providing the dB threshold.

Anyway, I don't know why your unit says 50-15kHz.

Scott Gardner

The only thing I could find online for the DEH-P930 listed a CD
frequency response of 20-22,000 Hz. Could 50-15,000 be the frequency
response for the FM radio portion of the receiver?

I did find another Pioneer receiver that listed a frequency response
of 50-15,000 Hz, but that was listed as the RMS Power Bandwidth, and
described as the frequency range used in determining the RMS power of
the built-in amplifier. This same receiver had a separate frequency
response of 5-20,000 Hz for the CD portion of the receiver.

Scott Gardner

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

Bill

You are right about CD player. The frequency response for the fm receiver is
listed as 30- 15000 Hz. I can not post a link of the url to the group
because the Pioneer website requires registration and a password to download
the pdf formatted manuals. Scott, are you saying that if Pioneer were to use
a broader bandwidth, they would need to show fewer rms watts? .

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
news
The only thing I could find online for the DEH-P930 listed a CD
frequency response of 20-22,000 Hz. Could 50-15,000 be the frequency
response for the FM radio portion of the receiver?

I did find another Pioneer receiver that listed a frequency response
of 50-15,000 Hz, but that was listed as the RMS Power Bandwidth, and
described as the frequency range used in determining the RMS power of
the built-in amplifier. This same receiver had a separate frequency
response of 5-20,000 Hz for the CD portion of the receiver.

Scott Gardner

Scott Gardner

The frequency range that the manufacturer chooses for testing does
have an effect on the power numbers as well as the distortion numbers.
That's why some of the cheapie manufacturers use very small ranges for
their testing, or sometimes even no range at all, just a single
frequency such as 1 kHz.

But as others have said in this thread, a frequency response
specification is pretty much useless without listing attenuation
limits to go along with it. An amp with a frequency response of
50-15,000 Hz, plus or minus 0.5 dB might have a better overall
response than another amp with a range of 20-20000 hZ, plus or minus 3
dB.

Scott Gardner