timboritus

Default why do both subs move when only one is connected in a dual chambered box?

I have 2 DVC 12' subs in a dual chamber sealed enclosure. I wanted t
see how lound one could get by its self so I only connected one of th
subs to the amp. I noticed that when the connected sub plays, the no
connected sub moves also, but not nearly as much of coarse. Could thi
movement be soley from the vibration of the box or the spl inside th
car? It's made w/ 3/4 inch mdf and the outside doesn't seem to b
vibrating at all. it also happens at any volume. The subs are dual
ohm voice coil drivers connected in series (8ohm per sub) and the
paralleled at the amp connection (to a JL 500/1-internally bridged)

Now, I know alot of people would suggest the simplest answer to thi
problem would be that there is a leak in the box, or in the wal
between the two chambers. I have checked and double checked the box
There is NO leaks! When I push on one cone, the other does not move.

I read a few things about some behavior DVC drivers have when connecte
in series called Back EMF where the magnetic fields of each speaker tr
to modulate eachother. I don't really get it all, but could anyone els
explain, or would you think this could be a problem in my case? I'
pretty sure I connected the subs correctly. They both read 8 ohms
-
timboritu
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=17723

MZ

I read a few things about some behavior DVC drivers have when connected
in series called Back EMF where the magnetic fields of each speaker try
to modulate eachother. I don't really get it all, but could anyone else
explain, or would you think this could be a problem in my case? I'm
pretty sure I connected the subs correctly. They both read 8 ohms.

If you disconnected the second one electrically, then it obviously can't be
electrical. It must therefore have to do with pressure. My guess is that
there is a very slight leak in the divider. The reason you can't see it
when you push is because you can't push at nearly a hundred cycles per
second.

sanitarium

I would guess (among other things) its the pressure being exerted by the
active sub in the car that does that. Ever look at your subs when you
close the door and the windows rolled up... sometimes they push inwards from
the pressure. This is more apparent if you have dynamat applied over sheet
metal holes.

Could be enclosure vibration as well... Try playing the sub box out of the
car. Does it do the same thing?

Garrett

"timboritus" wrote in
message s.com...
I have 2 DVC 12' subs in a dual chamber sealed enclosure. I wanted to
see how lound one could get by its self so I only connected one of the
subs to the amp. I noticed that when the connected sub plays, the non
connected sub moves also, but not nearly as much of coarse. Could this
movement be soley from the vibration of the box or the spl inside the
car? It's made w/ 3/4 inch mdf and the outside doesn't seem to be
vibrating at all. it also happens at any volume. The subs are dual 4
ohm voice coil drivers connected in series (8ohm per sub) and then
paralleled at the amp connection (to a JL 500/1-internally bridged)

Now, I know alot of people would suggest the simplest answer to this
problem would be that there is a leak in the box, or in the wall

--
timboritus
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...hreadid=177234