John Bevan

Default Auto Tuner

Does anyone know how auto tuners work - as in the box that you play a note
to, and it tells you what note you are playing, and whether or not it is in
tune? I am trying to write some musical transcription software for my final
year project, and thought that modelling an autotuner's functionality may be
the best way to go about this - as opposed to the more traditional windowing
and fft-ing approach.

Thanks in advance,

John

Dave Platt

Does anyone know how auto tuners work - as in the box that you play a note
to, and it tells you what note you are playing, and whether or not it is in
tune? I am trying to write some musical transcription software for my final
year project, and thought that modelling an autotuner's functionality may be
the best way to go about this - as opposed to the more traditional windowing
and fft-ing approach.

If it only has to handle a relatively narrow frequency range (a few
octaves), and doesn't have a lot of noise to content with, then it'd
probably be possible to use a phase-locked loop (and translate the
resulting control voltage to a note value), or to feed the signal into
a Schmitt trigger and then count the number of zero-crossings per
second.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Jerry G.

In simple terms, it would have a type of set of frequency band pass
circuits. The outputs are measured, and then translated to display using
some logic circuits of types. Another approach would be to use a frequency
counter, and from the values measured, follow a scaling to display the
results.

In anycase, these instruments can be fairly sophisticated internally in
comparison to how simple they look.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"John Bevan" wrote in message
Does anyone know how auto tuners work - as in the box that you play a note
to, and it tells you what note you are playing, and whether or not it is in
tune? I am trying to write some musical transcription software for my final
year project, and thought that modelling an autotuner's functionality may be
the best way to go about this - as opposed to the more traditional windowing
and fft-ing approach.

Thanks in advance,

John

Richard Crowley

"John Bevan" wrote ...
Does anyone know how auto tuners work - as in the box
that you play a note to, and it tells you what note you are
playing, and whether or not it is in tune? I am trying to
write some musical transcription software for my final
year project, and thought that modelling an autotuner's
functionality may be the best way to go about this - as
opposed to the more traditional windowing and fft-ing
approach.

My guess is that most modern ones are digital and use
conventional frequency-counting. Quartz crystals (for
frequency reference) cost only a fraction of a USD/GBP
in consumer production quantities.

OTOH, if you are doing this in software with what is coming
from a sound card in a computer, fft may very well be the
optimal (easiest/fastest) method. You don't have the same
paradigm as designers of small hand-held pieces of HARD-
ware.

John Bevan

Hi Guys,

thanks for all of your responses.

I writing software to do the transcription, and have already started coding
using an FFT, but then realised that auto-tuners seemed to be far more
accurate than any of the similar software I have found so far. Perhaps this
is simply because the tuner is held near to the instrument, so noise is less
of an issue, but I thought it may be worth checking to see if there was a
really simple solution that had never occoured to others working in the DSP
domain.

Thanks again for all your replies.

John

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"John Bevan" wrote ...
[...]

John Bevan

[...]

Newbie with ST-8600 Tuner Jonathan Berry General 4 July 19th 04 04:01 PM
Auto Taser-unlike an alarm, this works! Peter Klein Car Audio 6 May 8th 04 12:52 AM
FS: Auto taser Peter Klein Car Audio 0 April 12th 04 09:57 PM
Installing Sirius Tuner in 03 Legacy Wagon Tony Baker Car Audio 0 April 4th 04 04:49 AM
FS: Pioneer TX-9500II Tuner BARGAIN ALERT! Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 July 13th 03 12:52 PM