Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fp fp is offline

Default The Best Speakers In The World.

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

fp.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:44:11 -0700, fp wrote
(in article ):

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

fp.

These are nowhere near the best speakers in the world. The best are made by
companies like MBL, Wilson Audio, Kharma, Magnepan (MG-20), Revel, YG
Acoustics and Martin Logan. My vote for the world's most accurate and musical
loudspeaker system goes to Martin-Logan for their CLX. Of course, you'll need
a good pair of subs to get you below about 50 Hz, but that can be done quite
nicely for under US$30,000. You can spend a lot more of course, but I doubt
if you'll get a better sounding speaker system.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On 26 Mar 2009 21:44:11 GMT, fp wrote:

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

First, there is no answer because there are too many situations and no
one speaker is ideal/best for every one. You have to tell us about
the room, the rest of the system, the program material and what your
listening preferences are.

Second, I wonder if you, like many others who say that money is no
problem realize that speaker prices can run easily into six-figure$.
Not that one generally needs to spend that much but real number limits
would be helpful.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

I have only heard one B&O speaker that I like but several B&W speakers
(I own several). There are, however, many, many other options
depending on your needs.

OTOH, mebbe you are only trolling for controversy. We'll see.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

fp writes:

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

This posting is remarkably similar to one that arrived a few days ago
titled "Best sounding speakers you have ever heard", also sent via
Individual.NET. I recommend that you read the replies to that
question.

Andrew.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] klausrampelmann@hotmail.com is offline

If by "best" you mean "most accurate", then Klein+Hummel's O500C/O900
is certainly a main contender:

http://www.klein-hummel.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/kleinundhummel_o900_o500_hq.jpg/$File/kleinundhummel_o900_o500_hq.jpg

Flat (± 1.5 dB) from 17 Hz to 20 kHz. A 10-band parametric equalizer
is included so they can be "voiced" by the user.

Another contender is the Geithain 800K:

http://www.me-geithain.de/download/me800k.pdf

Klaus

On 26 mrt, 22:44, fp wrote:
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

fp.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Denis Sbragion Denis Sbragion is offline

Hello fp,

fp wrote in news:732b9bFrq1b3U1
@mid.individual.net:

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are

in my opinion K+H 0500C, possibly with their dedicated O900 sub, if you
want the highest dynamic range and bass extension:

http://www.klein-hummel.com/klein-hu...nsf/root/prof-
monitoring_studio-monitors_main-monitors_O500C

http://www.klein-hummel.com/klein-hu...nsf/root/prof-
monitoring_studio-monitors_subwoofer_O900

Aesthetically wise they are not as pleasant as some other home speakers,
but when it comes to performances they are difficult to beat.

Bye,

--
Denis Sbragion
InfoTecna

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Davis Howard Davis is offline

"fp" wrote in message
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

fp.

Look into the Legacy Audio speaker series. State of the art!
They are indeed expen$ive, but I have a pair and they are the best speakers
I've ever owned.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Andrew Haley wrote:

This posting is remarkably similar to one that arrived a few days ago
titled "Best sounding speakers you have ever heard", also sent via
Individual.NET. I recommend that you read the replies to that
question.

Hmmmm. And I thought that this ng had developed a slap-back echo and was
about to propose that we apply some acoustic treatment to it.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On 27 Mar 2009 19:44:12 GMT, "Howard Davis"
wrote:

"fp" wrote in message
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

fp.

Look into the Legacy Audio speaker series. State of the art!
They are indeed expen$ive, but I have a pair and they are the best speakers
I've ever owned.

I do not wish to demean Legacy Audiio speakers but this sort
of response is not particularly useful. No doubt many of
us could post similarly indicating our enthusiasm for what
we have chosen. Doesn't really answer anything.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fp fp is offline

The speakers I'm looking for will be used in the living room. I listen
to artists like John Mayer and bands like Coldplay.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

fp wrote:

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

It depends if you want 'monitor class' or 'hi-fi' !

Monitor class speakers will reproduce the sound very accurately including
every flaw so may not be to everyone's taste.

'Hi-fi' speaker are designed to 'flatter the ear' regardless of the source
quality. Trust me - it's a long story.

2 companies that come to mind are ATC and PMC, both in England.

ATC are almost 'the reference standard' in studio monitor speakers and
they'll cost you more than you can imagine. They do some 'home speakers'
too.

PMC address both the hi-fi and pro monitor markets broadly and those I've
heard sounded lovely.

http://www.atc.gb.net/
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/

At the end of the day, you'll need to HEAR them to see if they suit you.
Select a few tracks you know well as a reference source and listen to
them.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 28 Mar 2009 01:25:36 GMT, fp wrote:

The speakers I'm looking for will be used in the living room. I listen
to artists like John Mayer and bands like Coldplay.

How big is the living room?
How is it decorated?
Is it in a separate house or in an apartment?
Can you give us a diagram of the room layout?
What else is in the system?
What levels do you require?
What size constraints are there?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
and
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
What is your budget?

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

fp wrote:

The speakers I'm looking for will be used in the living room. I listen
to artists like John Mayer and bands like Coldplay.

Have you paid any attention to acoustic treatment of your listening room ?
What is its current construction ? This is one of the first things that's
considered important in studio siyuations.

This can make cheese from chalk without even changing speakers.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

On Mar 28, 9:25*am, fp wrote:
The speakers I'm looking for will be used in the living room. I listen
to artists like John Mayer and bands like Coldplay.

In my humble opinion no matter how hard you try the room tend to
distort whatever accuracy you may have with your loudspeakers. Try
with lower end such as PSB, Axiom, Wharfadale, Mission and there like
and then audition on trial an expensive speakers and see if it worth
the price and whether your rest of the system match the loudspeakers.
On average listening volume you would settle with reasonable speakers
after a couple of weeks listening even if it is inaccurate.

Just two days ago, an so called audiophile said my system lacks bass
because his SPL meter says so at A-weighting measurement. So you can
find a group who prefers system setup at A-weighting level or C-
weighting. Enjoy music and stop chasing equipments as there is no
definitive answer.

Regards,
ST
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"fp" wrote in message

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers &
Wilkins are supposed to have the best speakers. But what
about Bang & Olufsen? Are these speakers just design, or
do they sound good to?

You might find these test results interesting:

http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

The paradigm monitor 100s caught my eye.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
You might find these test results interesting:

http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

Whoa! Check out the plots for Druid speakers from Zu Cables:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...zucable_druid/

50 hz to 20 khz, plus or minus 25 db.

I guess this is what one would expect from a company that sells "magic
cables".

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Walt" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:
You might find these test results interesting:

http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

Whoa! Check out the plots for Druid speakers from Zu Cables:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...zucable_druid/

50 hz to 20 khz, plus or minus 25 db.

I guess this is what one would expect from a company that sells "magic
cables".

//Walt

Sadly this is what has been happening to the "high-end" these days. It's
insufficient for loudspeakers to be accurate, as that's boring. If you want
high-end credibility you have to make the sound jump out at you. That means
highly coloured horns, direct "full-range" drivers and other abominations
that were rightly consigned to the rubbish bin as far back as 1968. And all
this driven by horribly distorting SET amplifiers with flea-power output and
high output impedance so that even if you did actually have a loudspeaker
with a sensibly flat response, its impedance variations would ensure the
resulting response was anything but flat.

I do rather despair at the gullibility of high-end buyers who only buy with
their ears, with no understanding of, or interest in, measured
specifications and who are so easily impressed by a high level of
coloration.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Walt" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
You might find these test results interesting:

http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

Whoa! Check out the plots for Druid speakers from Zu
Cables:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...zucable_druid/

50 hz to 20 khz, plus or minus 25 db.

I guess this is what one would expect from a company that
sells "magic cables".

So you noticed those, too?

I was wondering if there was some SET someplace whose crazy output impedance
curve would yield a reasonably flat overall response.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fp fp is offline

Thanks everybody!

Lots of good suggestions here. I've listened to different speakers the
last days, and I'm really impressed by Martin Logan's Summit Speakers.
But I haven't bought anything yet. I will be using the new speakers in
my living room. The roof height is 6 meters, and the room is 80 square
meters big. Please come with more suggestions!

Kalman Rubinson: the price is no issue. And I mean no issue. If it
will cost me $200,000 , that's okay, as long as it will get me the
best possible speakers. I've got some questions on why I'm rich, and
the answer is internet marketing. If you want to earn a lot of money,
and be able to buy the speakers you want, you can join www.mackthemillionaire.com,
if it's not too late.. Hehe!

Anyways, Howard Davis: I will check out Legacy Audio next week!
Looking forward to it.

Thanks everybody!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On 1 Apr 2009 16:16:08 GMT, fp
wrote:

Thanks everybody!

Lots of good suggestions here. I've listened to different speakers the
last days, and I'm really impressed by Martin Logan's Summit Speakers.
But I haven't bought anything yet. I will be using the new speakers in
my living room. The roof height is 6 meters, and the room is 80 square
meters big. Please come with more suggestions!

Kalman Rubinson: the price is no issue. And I mean no issue. If it
will cost me $200,000 , that's okay, as long as it will get me the
best possible speakers. I've got some questions on why I'm rich, and
the answer is internet marketing. If you want to earn a lot of money,
and be able to buy the speakers you want, you can join www.mackthemillionaire.com,
if it's not too late.. Hehe!

Good for you.

Now, there are many speakers one might suggest but you need
speakers that will be capable of filling that space and/or
use multiple speakers. Assuming we are talking about 2
channels only, I would suggest looking at powered studio
monitors from PMC and ATC, if you can tolerate their rather
plain appearance. In addition to the ML's suggested above,
look into B&W 801Ds or 800Ds, Cabasse La Sphere and the
larger speakers from Wilson, Aerial, Avalon, Dali,
EgglestonWorks, JMLab, Revel, mbl, Meridian (generally only
with Meridian Electronics), SoundLabs, KEF Reference, etc.

The list is long, even though I have kept it to speakers I
know, because (1) once you get above $15K or so, the price
is not directly correlated with performance quality and (2)
personal taste becomes the over-riding issue (as it always
should be). Thus, you need to get to hear these before
choosing.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Walt wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
You might find these test results interesting:

http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

Whoa! Check out the plots for Druid speakers from Zu Cables:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...zucable_druid/

50 hz to 20 khz, plus or minus 25 db.

I guess this is what one would expect from a company that sells "magic
cables".

//Walt

the conclusion of the Druid review at high end flooby haven Positive
Feedback:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue11/zudruid.htm

"I generally like to discuss certain recordings during my reviews, but it
seems rather pointless here. Every CD I played sounded totally neutral,
without either warmth or coldness, harshness, or brightness. The Druids
render acoustic music very well, but will definitely rock when called upon
to do so. Although I have some badly recorded CDs, the Druids made them
all sound good, despite their ability to reproduce extreme detail.

What are the downsides? If you are looking for warmth or room-thudding
bass, look elsewhere. Bass is not emphasized in any way, so if you like
tons of low end you may be disappointed. The bass is certainly there, but
the Druids do not call attention to it. I did some tests with
Stereophile's Test CD #1 and my Radio Shack sound meter, and found that in
my room, the bass extended down to 40Hz, then fell off rapidly."

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Walt wrote:

Whoa! Check out the plots for Druid speakers from Zu Cables:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...zucable_druid/

50 hz to 20 khz, plus or minus 25 db.

the conclusion of the Druid review at high end flooby haven Positive
Feedback:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue11/zudruid.htm

The money quote:

"Fifty-two inches tall, with 10-inch drivers and supertweeters mounted
topside, and painted red with flames, they cut striking figures in my
den. These tall beauties generated quite a few interesting comments from
audio friends and family. Upon first seeing them, one nephew said that
they looked like surfboards! Most other comments had the word "cool" at
least once in each sentence. If the idea is that our beloved audio hobby
should be fun, the Druids deliver by the boatload on looks alone. "

As a wise person once said, "most people listen with their eyes, think
with their dicks and f**k with their wallets."

Now, about that 25 db hole at 160 hz ...

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On 1 Apr 2009 16:16:08 GMT, fp
wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised, Kal, that you don't make a pitch for surround sound. If he
wants to do it right, he needs *five* of the best speakers, and a sub to
boot. Why does a top-end Thiel system come to mind?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Apr 3, 7:19*am, Walt wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
Walt wrote:

[...]

I see nothing worng with a subjective review of any piece of equipment
including comentary on the visual appeal of the equipment. Some people
actually care about these things.

Now, about that 25 db hole at 160 hz ...

I would expect that to be a big problem. But I haven't hear thse
speakers so I reserve judgement.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 4 Apr 2009 02:18:27 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

I'm surprised, Kal, that you don't make a pitch for surround sound. If he
wants to do it right, he needs *five* of the best speakers, and a sub to
boot. Why does a top-end Thiel system come to mind?

Because the question is too open-ended already. Besides, I really
wonder if this is real or just a troll trying to get us to his
website.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_] Grumpy AuContraire[_2_] is offline

Walt wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Walt wrote:

[...]

I dunno, but for me the equipment (speakerwise) produced in the late
1950's through the 1960's has little in the way of modern competition.

I very much enjoy listening to my ol' rig, a Marrantz quad 4230 that
drives Electro-Voice Regency/TRX 15s (front) and Aristocrat/TRX 12s
(rear). I've listened to a good deal of new stuff but (to me) it just
doesn't measure up.

Oh, and despite being the ripe ol' age of 69, I still have a hearing
range of 30-18KHz.

But, maybe I'm just stuck in a time rut but then again, so are a number
others considering the resurgence of vinyl and all...

JT

PS: When I was first introduced to HiFi in the 1950's, one of the best
work out for speaker reproduction were George Wright theatre organ
records. 16-20,000 CPS range in them thar' ol' days!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"fp" wrote in message
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

Your goal should be better audio engineering, not "which speakers should I
buy." The problem of reproduction is not one of designing a speaker that
once and for all can reproduce the sound perfectly, but one of understanding
what it is we are trying to do with the system.

You may be on a fool's errand asking what are the "best" speakers in the
world.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 7, 10:33*am, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:
"fp" wrote in message

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

Your goal should be better audio engineering, not
"which speakers should I buy."

That's an absurd assertion: he's not an audio engineer, he
has no stake in the realm of audio engineering as a whole,
he alledgedly wants to buy a speaker. (he may well have
another agenda by the looks of his post, but it is far
removed from audio engineering).

The problem of reproduction is not one of designing
a speaker that once and for all can reproduce the
sound perfectly, but one of understanding
what it is we are trying to do with the system.

Is it JUST me or is this a load of gobbledygook?

You may be on a fool's errand asking what are the
"best" speakers in the world.

Not if the question is EVER so slightly different:
"What are the best speakers in the world ... for
me."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message
On Apr 7, 10:33 am, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

The problem of reproduction is not one of designing
a speaker that once and for all can reproduce the
sound perfectly, but one of understanding
what it is we are trying to do with the system.

Is it JUST me or is this a load of gobbledygook?

It probably isn't just you, but it probably would be gobbledegook to you.

You may be on a fool's errand asking what are the
"best" speakers in the world.

Not if the question is EVER so slightly different:
"What are the best speakers in the world ... for
me."

Sounds like you just contradicted yourself.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Hans Kruse Hans Kruse is offline

"fp" wrote in message
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you guys. I'm
thinking about buying some really good audio speakers. And I mean the
best there is! I know it will cost a lot of money, but that's no
problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers & Wilkins are
supposed to have the best speakers. But what about Bang & Olufsen? Are
these speakers just design, or do they sound good to?

These speakers are among the best there are
http://www.teresonic.com/product_speakers.htm, especially the Ingenium
Silver.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Hans Kruse www.hanskrusephotography.com, www.hanskruse.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Hans Kruse" wrote in message

"fp" wrote in message
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and was hoping to get som advice from you
guys. I'm thinking about buying some really good audio
speakers. And I mean the best there is! I know it will
cost a lot of money, but that's no problem.

What would you recommend? I've heard that Bowers &
Wilkins are supposed to have the best speakers. But what
about Bang & Olufsen? Are these speakers just design, or
do they sound good to?

These speakers are among the best there are
http://www.teresonic.com/product_speakers.htm, especially
the Ingenium Silver.

Oh my goodness - someone actually believes the Lowther hype? IME they are
among the most wretched-sounding expensive speakers ever foisted off on the
world of audiophilia.

Speaking as a past owner of Ohm Fs, it is nearly physically impossible or
impossible to build a single driver that does everything right. The
requirements conflict with themselves too much.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Oh my goodness - someone actually believes the Lowther hype? IME they are
among the most wretched-sounding expensive speakers ever foisted off on
the
world of audiophilia.

Well, I have a pair of the Ingeniums and I can say for sure that they do
sound pretty much as described in this review
http://www.dagogo.com/TeresonicIngeniumSilver.html. I guess one can say they
are not for all, but if you ever heard them driven by a very good amplifier
then you will know how good they are.

Speaking as a past owner of Ohm Fs, it is nearly physically impossible or
impossible to build a single driver that does everything right. The
requirements conflict with themselves too much.

These are quite different speakers.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Hans Kruse www.hanskrusephotography.com, www.hanskruse.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
WB WB is offline

Wow,
This one is really all but impossible to answer. A hifi system is a
package by which each component must work well with all the others. So,
what speaker will sound best in a system has a lot to do with the
amplifier that will drive it, the type of music you like, and your room
acoustics. In general, I find that the most accurate sound seems to come
from speakers with 5.25 - 6.5" woofers and a high quality tweeter.
Although there is a law of diminishing returns, there is still a lot to
be said for the old adage that you get what you pay for. Myself, I have
had good luck with Sonus Faber, and Mirage (the stuff geared toward hifi
and not home theater). I like the Paradigm Mini monitors as well (the bi
ampable ones, not the cheap ones). None of these speakers are super
expensive, but they do sound quite nice. I have heard some home made
speakers that were amazing sounding as well. But, is there one
'perfect' speaker that is best? Probably not. I have never heard any
speaker that sounds great with every amp and with every different type
of music. Just listen to a few sets, preferably in your home with your
other equipment, and let YOUR ears decide. We can suggest all the
speakers in the world to you, but only you can say which sounds right to
you.
..
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:07:19 -0700, WB wrote
(in article ):

[...]
.

The question cannot really be answered. Reason? No speaker is perfect. This
means that each of us latches on to some aspect of reproduction that we deem
important for our own personal "willing suspension of disbelief." To some,
flat frequency response is most important, to others its convincing low
frequency reproduction. Others don't care so much about the frequency
extremes as long as the midrange is accurate. Others value silken, extended
highs, and still others value a wide, deep soundstage with excellent image
specificity. To each one of these disparate tastes, a different speaker will
qualify as the "world's best". Of course, some speakers do several things in
a world-class way and will be on the short lists of audiophiles with wildly
different criteria. To me (as I've said before) the speaker which ticks all
of my personal boxes, is the new Martin Logan CLX. Imaging, speed, low
distortion and silky highs are its long suits. Of course, they need good
subwoofers to make them a complete full-range system, but if one can afford a
US$22,000 speaker system, what's another US$5,000 for subwoofers?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"WB" wrote in message ...
[...]

Ah, as I started reading this response, I thought it was related to my
posting, but I realize it is not.

But I do agree that a hifi system should be viewed as a whole and how the
various components fit together. Speakers like the Teresonic Ingeniums sound
very dry and realistic when driven by some amplifiers. With a big SET
amplifier like the one I have driven by 211 tubes it sounds absolutely
wonderful and with a lot of bass (it is a new version of the Teresonic 2A3
amp. shown here http://www.teresonic.com/product_amp.htm). With an Audio
Note Oto SE tube amplifier it is sounding a bit thin and clinic although
extremely detailed. Again acoustics in the room can change this balance too.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Hans Kruse www.hanskrusephotography.com, www.hanskruse.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:40:24 -0700, Hans Kruse wrote
(in article ):

"WB" wrote in message ...
[...]

Watts is Watts. I do not share the common audiophile attitude that modern
electronics (pre-amps, amps) all sound noticeably different from one another.
I've been privy to too many double-blind ABX tests to buy that myth. If there
are any differences that can be noted in a real statistically consistent way,
then I'd say that one of the amps/pre-amps under test is either broken or
fundamentally flawed.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_3_] Doug McDonald[_3_] is offline

WB wrote:
Wow,
This one is really all but impossible to answer. A hifi system is a
package by which each component must work well with all the others. So,
what speaker will sound best in a system has a lot to do with the
amplifier that will drive it

huh?? Huh?? Other than abnormal speakers (too low impedance) or
amplifiers (not voltage sources) the amplifier simply does not matter.
Its job is to produce a voltage at the speaker that is a magnified
version of the source.

the type of music you like, and your room
acoustics.

That's true.
Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Sonnova wrote:

Watts is Watts. I do not share the common audiophile attitude that modern
electronics (pre-amps, amps) all sound noticeably different from one another.
I've been privy to too many double-blind ABX tests to buy that myth. If there
are any differences that can be noted in a real statistically consistent way,
then I'd say that one of the amps/pre-amps under test is either broken or
fundamentally flawed.

Mostly agree, with two caveats:

1) Amplifiers *do* sound different when pushed to their limits. When
driven into clipping every amp is going to behave differently and
consequently sound different. Tube amps really do sound better than
solid state when overdriven. That said, when operated within their
design limits, there's not much difference between amps.

2) I'm willing to entertain the possibility that there are subtle
differences between amplifiers that may be ascertained by carefully
controlled listening tests. Thus far, I'm not aware of any such tests
that show this, but if someday someone produces such a result, the
differences would of necessity be small and subtle at best otherwise we
would have seen it by now. In particular, the differences among amps
pales in comparison to differences among speakers - thus your speakers
make *far* more difference than your amp.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:55:34 -0700, Walt wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

Watts is Watts. I do not share the common audiophile attitude that modern
electronics (pre-amps, amps) all sound noticeably different from one
another.
I've been privy to too many double-blind ABX tests to buy that myth. If
there
are any differences that can be noted in a real statistically consistent
way,
then I'd say that one of the amps/pre-amps under test is either broken or
fundamentally flawed.

Mostly agree, with two caveats:

1) Amplifiers *do* sound different when pushed to their limits. When
driven into clipping every amp is going to behave differently and
consequently sound different. Tube amps really do sound better than
solid state when overdriven. That said, when operated within their
design limits, there's not much difference between amps.

Of course. The idea, of course, is to never overdrive them -Tube or
Transistor.

2) I'm willing to entertain the possibility that there are subtle
differences between amplifiers that may be ascertained by carefully
controlled listening tests. Thus far, I'm not aware of any such tests
that show this, but if someday someone produces such a result, the
differences would of necessity be small and subtle at best otherwise we
would have seen it by now. In particular, the differences among amps
pales in comparison to differences among speakers - thus your speakers
make *far* more difference than your amp.

It is possible that due to differences in components that there are small
differences in the sound of amplifiers or preamps. However, these differences
are tiny and don't really mean anything significant. In fact, they are so
small that double-blind tests do not reveal them and if they do exist,
fretting over them is a lot like counting the number of angels that can dance
on the head of a pin. IOW, most modern amplifiers sound pretty neutral and
have for at least the last 20 years.