Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Roger Kulp Roger Kulp is offline

Default Would you buy...?

I was just wondering if anybody here would be willing to buy someone's
custom built amp off the web,without being able to hear it ?

Roger

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Roger Kulp wrote:
I was just wondering if anybody here would be willing to buy someone's
custom built amp off the web,without being able to hear it ?

I might pay up to a dollar, if the shipping was free. But only if I was
feeling particularly loose with my money that day.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Jun 2, 11:16*am, Roger Kulp wrote:
I was just wondering if anybody here would be willing to buy someone's
custom built amp off the web,without being able to hear it ?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Roger

Um, no. With one (1) exception: Patrick Turner of Australia writes all
the right things in all the right places, and those of his suggestions
I have followed have been exactly as represented, or better.

Otherwise, I would much rather either restore/modify existing devices
or build my own. I know what I will get for my efforts, I learn a
little bit in the process at least, and it is incredibly much less
expensive.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Drew Eckhardt Drew Eckhardt is offline

On Jun 2, 8:16*am, Roger Kulp wrote:
I was just wondering if anybody here would be willing to buy someone's
custom built amp off the web,without being able to hear it ?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Roger

It depends on the design. Something which mated Tripath or AKSA
modules to appropriate sized heat sinks and power supplies would be
fine. A good design (Nelson Pass, Douglas Self) built on commercial
circuit boards (good layout) would be fine. A well implemented
application note (The National Semiconductor bridged/parallel LM3886
designs) would be fine.

Otherwise I'd worry about about amplifier stability (I don't want to
cook my tweeters with an RF oscillation) and noise.

Used mid-fi amps known to have sufficient heat sinking and stability
are so cheap there wouldn't be a good reason to in most cases.