Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

Default Recording XM signals...an issue

My satellite TV service is now supplying XM sound. Sounds "pretty"
good for most pop music and some classical, except for opera. My
intent is to see whether it makes sense to subscribe to the service
directly. Here's the scenario.

I record the XM sound...opera... on my PC, but when I replay it , it
sounds like hell. I am pretty picky....I can sometimes pick up on
differences between ripping or sampling at 256K vs. 320Kb. A local FM
station does an excellent job with classical...comparison of ripped
tracks vs recorded tracks just doesn't show any deviations to my ear.
But, these XM broadcast for inherently high dynamic range music like
opera are a true litmus test.

When I use a small utility from Nero...WaveEditor...I can see the
frequency and amplitude of the recorded sound. Pretty funky compared
to CD sound....clipped signals and frequency truncations and
artificial boost at higher frequencies. Plays havoc with opera. Other
stuff seems to "sound" reasonable...who can tell with the Stones???

Went to AOL/XM streams and recorded some opera at my dialup speed of
44kb...damned slow but these new compression algorithms are amazing.
The sound was still not good enough to capture classical, especially
opera, but looking at the signals showed that the signals were not as
garbaged up as those from my satellite TV source. Stands to reason
that some extra truncations, compressions, and filtering are occurring
on the satellite beam.

Now, here's the issue: if the XM or Sirius signals are that
manipulated when directly transmitted, then, again, the opera is
likely to be the most damaged. I don't want to spend the time or money
on the service and hardware unless I am truly getting CD quality
sound.

There is a wrinkle. My satellite TV has a small amount of
objectionable ghosting...three or more very small ghosts... that they
cannot figure out...I think its back or forward refelction/deflections
from a nearby tree that is ... for all practical
purposes...interferring with the clear line of sight to the satellite.
If it is in the video, it may be in the audio, too, but I don't have a
way of sampling the video.

Anybody have some experience they could share?? On any aspect of this
series of experiments??

Thanks.

Henry
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:32:46 GMT, NewGuy wrote:

[...]

Is this a digital satellite service? Ghosting is not possible with
digital, so I presume it is analogue, although I thought all new users
were digital - oh well.

The source of the ghost image can be estimated by measuring how far
across the screen from the original image it is. I have to say,
though, that ghosting with satellite is unusual because the dish beam
is so narrow. If you are on a communal distribution system, it is more
likely to be reflections from unterminated cable runs. Talk to the
installer about this.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , (Don Pearce) wrote:
[...]

I think digital processing can produce ghosts. Actually, a pre and a post ghost.
I see in on analog transmissions of digitally processed video.

I see many digital artifacts on many TV transmissions, while
either viewing digital TV or digitally processed TV. Having both
is a bigger distraction. I not talking HDTV, allthough I see
different things there also.

greg

The source of the ghost image can be estimated by measuring how far
across the screen from the original image it is. I have to say,
though, that ghosting with satellite is unusual because the dish beam
is so narrow. If you are on a communal distribution system, it is more
likely to be reflections from unterminated cable runs. Talk to the
installer about this.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:16:07 GMT,
(GregS) wrote:

Is this a digital satellite service? Ghosting is not possible with
digital, so I presume it is analogue, although I thought all new users
were digital - oh well.

I think digital processing can produce ghosts. Actually, a pre and a post

ghost.
I see in on analog transmissions of digitally processed video.

I see many digital artifacts on many TV transmissions, while
either viewing digital TV or digitally processed TV. Having both
is a bigger distraction. I not talking HDTV, allthough I see
different things there also.

greg

No, it can't produce ghosts - there simply isn't a mechanism. What
does happen, though, particularly on channels that are starved of
bandwidth is that artificial edge-sharpening techniques are sued that
produce a sort of nasty white outline to picture features. I suppose
these might be construed as ghosts.

I've had a chance to look at some newer formats and some new TV's lately.
I have seen the white outlines, but on my old Toshiba 36 inch
direct view, I have seen the worst problems viewed, many on sports
broadcasts. The grass looks like vertical lines, and so does the background
crowd., and I swear on this TV, I have seen pre and post outlines. It may be the Toshiba is
intensifying those problems, because I have not seen it anywhere near as bad. I was sitting in front
of large HDTV LCD and plasma screens on Thanksgiving. I find much of my time looking at all
the problems, rather than just enjoying the broadcast.

greg

HDTV is producing some huge problems of its own. Having to compress a
pretty huge original stream into a normal channel makes for some
pretty horrid MPEG artifacts at times. I'm not saying that the picture
would necessarily look better at standard definitions, but that is
certainly the case on occasions.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

Wow! You folks jumped on the ghost issue...and I only threw it in as
an afterthought. Frankly, the issue of digital vs analog is confusing.
Any digital signal can be "synthisized" from an infinite series of
analog sine waves etc etc. In a way, even digital signals are
inherently analog...it is how the information is picked off the
signal. I had hoped never and try and re-acquaint myself with this
stuff. My former cable company began sending digial signals that
actually improved the picture on my analog receiver...but it was not
HDTV...which is more, denser, info but not all that different. Like an
MS and PhD... More of the Same and Piled Higher and Deeper.

Old timers know ghosting as a multipath phenomenon. The Satellite guy
actually put in a fresh antenna detector unit and directly hooked a
cable to it and dragged it into my house with no connections other
than at my TV. Since I have two other TVs using in house wiring that
show exactly the same ghosting effect, and if the satellite signal is
"ghost" free, then the problem is in what my receiver is detecting.
These are faint ghosts that smear out small objects like on-screen
lettering or football player in a wide-angle field shot...totally
blurred out. When I called to complain the first time, nobody knew
what I was talking about when I said a ghost image....it is apparently
that rare.

Now, to beat the horse to death, anything that is limiting the
bandwidth adds artifacts called ringing, and scanning causes
aliasing....ringing is typically at higher harmonics that are filered
out. Aliasing, a scanning artifact, shows up in TVs when a
fine-patterned image...coat patterns or tie patterns on clothing seem
to "run" and not be stable. Digital signals should get rid of this but
analog sets with their analog signal scanning just jitter back and
forth giving the impressing of flowing patterns. Its the edges and the
widths in the scan direction. Egads, what are you making me
remember???

What I want is to know if the XM signals that I should be able to
recieve are inherently CD quality...which is how they are billed.

Henry
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:27:39 GMT, (Don Pearce)
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:16:07 GMT,
(GregS) wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:54:52 GMT, NewGuy wrote:

What I want is to know if the XM signals that I should be able to
recieve are inherently CD quality...which is how they are billed.

Sorry - went for the interesting bit.

Very unlikely. They will be transmitting in some sort of compressed
format, which will be sub-CD standard. Happily, it is also pretty
certain that they will be keeping the bit rate high enough that you
shouldn't hear the difference.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"NewGuy" wrote in message
news
My satellite TV service is now supplying XM sound. Sounds
"pretty" good for most pop music and some classical,
except for opera. My intent is to see whether it makes
sense to subscribe to the service directly. Here's the
scenario.

I record the XM sound...opera... on my PC, but when I
replay it , it sounds like hell. I am pretty picky....I
can sometimes pick up on differences between ripping or
sampling at 256K vs. 320Kb.

XM and Sirius have been getting careful scrutiny from a
group of experienced audio engineers I'll refer to as "The
Detroit Audio Mafia" ever since they first came out. These
guys have been listening to XM and Sirius since the only
receivers around were prototypes for the big 3 auto makers
to try out.

After all, this *is* Detroit and the reason XM and Sirius
exist primarily for listening in cars.

"The word" on the street in Detroit from "The Detroit Audio
Mafia" is that the sound quality of XM and Sirius has been
flushed down the porcelain convenience, as more and more
concurrent services were added.

This makes perfect sense, of course. As the bitrate per
service goes down, the sound quality *must* go down.

At this time XM and Sirius are generally agreed-upon by "The
Detroit Audio Mafia" to be generally *unacceptable* for
serious listening, even in a moving car.

XM and Sirius weren't always this way, but that was then and
this is now.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

Wow! Well, I asked for it. I use to work in the spread spectrum world
and my hope was that technology would eventually render all this
bandwidth angst to the junk yard. True spread spectrum, like the
miliary use with very expensive...and in the past...GaAs based
processors, renders bandwidth an obsolete concern....in so far as
specrual allocations and bandwidth has the same narrow definition as
in the past.

With SS, you actually spread the signal over such a large bandwidth
that any signal looks like noise...non-detectible noise against all
other signals cluttering any given bandwidth allocation....with enough
spectrum, signal reception, multipath, power, and signal fidelity and
noise in the traditional S/N become of historical interest. Sadly, the
technology in cheap silicon still looks deficient and too expensive.
However, it won't be long.

WiMax is suppose to be this technology, but I am not sure. As I look
at the way WiMax is being implemented, I suspect they are not using
true spread specturm.

I also appreciate the comments on the deficiencies of modern TVs to
the various signal formats. My sets range from high end to crap and
they each see the same signal from the satellite...so it is the
satellite signal modulated by my live oak tree foliage.

Looks like XM will be useful for non-classical recording...for which
it seems to excel. I guess until further notice, I won't bother with
XM or Sirius for anything other than convenience.

Thanks for the info.

Henry

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:57:24 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"NewGuy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article ,
NewGuy wrote:

[...]

T'ain't quite so simple, I'm afraid. You can't get something for
nothing.

Spread-spectrum comes at a price... it does raise the noise level (as
seen by other users of that part of the spectrum) throughout whatever
transmission bandwidth it uses. Although the increase in noise level
created by one SS transmitter may be small and difficult to detect,
put enough of 'em together in one area and you've got a large amount
of added noise energy to deal with. This added noise can degrade both
SS and non-SS uses of the frequencies in question.

The amateur radio community has been dealing with the results of this
for some time. I've been told that in many urban areas, it's no
longer possible to do weak-signal work in the 2.4 GHz ham bands, due
to the presence of many thousands of low-powered 802.11b/802.11g
direct-sequence spread spectrum radios.

WiMax is suppose to be this technology, but I am not sure. As I look
at the way WiMax is being implemented, I suspect they are not using
true spread specturm.

My understanding is that WiMax uses OFDM (orthogonal frequency
division multiplexing), a system with large numbers of closely-spaced
carriers. It's similar to 802.11g in that respect.

There's some new UWB (ultra-wide-band) work being done, which shows
promise for very high bandwidths over very short distances (ideal for
in-home video and that sort of thing). One UWB group is proposing or
using OFDM, while another is using high-speed-impulse modulations
which I suspect are closer to the "true spread spectrum" stuff you
worked on in the military.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

Your points are well taken.....you are right about wimax...I had
forgotten that technology in my zeal to promote SS ;). On the other
hand, true SS is literally noise....if it is cluttering the frequency
bands to other more commercial users, then it is a not the real thing.

Consider noise: FM...lightning strikes wipe out AM but FM barely
hears a click. The noise immunity in SS is even greater. The beauty of
SS is that a well-designed receiver picks the signal out of literally
the noise...very low power using optimal filtering and signal
tracking. My guess is that WiFi is a cheap imitation and therein lies
the problem. Commercial silicon is still not up to the task...but it
will be.

As for WiMax, it will not be worth the efforts until a true SS
implementation at low prices can be fielded.

As for something for nothing, you are paying for the capability
through use of very wide bandwidth and very expensive transmitters and
signal processing....though with todays production costs for
semiconductor signal processors, I can't image the cost would remain
an issue...it is still likely a performance hit due to marginal
capabilities at affordable commercial prices.

Be that as it may...this discussion is making my head hurt...XM is not
in my future.

Thanks for the dialog.

Henry

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:47:47 -0000, (Dave Platt)

NewGuy wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , NewGuy wrote:
Your points are well taken.....you are right about wimax...I had
forgotten that technology in my zeal to promote SS ;). On the other
hand, true SS is literally noise....if it is cluttering the frequency
bands to other more commercial users, then it is a not the real thing.

Consider noise: FM...lightning strikes wipe out AM but FM barely
hears a click. The noise immunity in SS is even greater. The beauty of
SS is that a well-designed receiver picks the signal out of literally
the noise...very low power using optimal filtering and signal
tracking. My guess is that WiFi is a cheap imitation and therein lies
the problem. Commercial silicon is still not up to the task...but it
will be.

I don't know all these formats. I have a spread spectrum portable
phone which is spread sprectrum, but I found it fairy simplified
just kind of switching freqs, at a prescribed interval. Then, I thought
thats what spread sprectrum was. Glad to hear something else exists.
I used to run some equipment that was modulated by a digital psedo random
code, which appeared as noise around the baseband signal. That was
the manned spacecraft 2275 freqs, and the code was used to aquire range data.
They made the code long enough to do the moon and back.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article ,
GregS wrote:

I don't know all these formats. I have a spread spectrum portable
phone which is spread sprectrum, but I found it fairy simplified
just kind of switching freqs, at a prescribed interval. Then, I thought
thats what spread sprectrum was. Glad to hear something else exists.

I'm aware of at least four types of modulation which fall under the
general category of "spread spectrum".

One of them is FH (frequency-hopping), which is the sort that your
cordless phone uses. It uses a single, narrow-band carrier, which is
switched or "hopped" between multiple frequencies on a periodic and
pre-programmed basis. The idea with this form of SS is to keep the
carrier from sitting for any great length of time on a single
frequency where it might be interfered with, or interfere with other
users of the channels. Dropouts in transmission can and do occur, when
the hopper lands on a frequency that's in use by another set of
stations, but it's usually limited to one or two "hop times" (e.g. a
fraction of a second of voice outage on a portable phone). Several
different FH users can be operating at once, as long as they're using
different frequency-hopping patterns (or the same pattern but offset
in time). Bad things happen if two or more users happen to pick the
same hopping pattern and fall into synchronization - at that point
they interfere with one another 100% of the time!

This form of SS was, I believe, the first one deliberately used for
security and robustness against interception. It was used during
World War II, and was first patented by an actress (Hedy Lamarr) and a
composer (George Antheil)! Reportedly, their idea was inspired by
consideration of a player-piano scroll.

A second form of spread spectrum is "direct sequence". In this
system, a single carrier frequency is chosen, and is then modulated
(multiplied, or just turned on and off) at very high speeds by a
binary "spreading sequence". This modulation has the effect of
spreading the carrier's energy across a wide bandwidth, in a way which
causes the energy in each portion of the bandwidth to closely resemble
random noise. A receiving station tunes to the center frequency of
the range, multiplies the RF signal by the same spreading sequence,
and gets out a clean sequence of pulses which reproduce the original
data. Narrowband interference in the bandwidth (e.g. a non-spread-
spectrum signal) tends to be "smeared out" by the receiver's spreading
sequence multiplier and "looks" to the receiver like white noise...
degrading the SS receiver's signal-to-noise ratio somewhat but not
interfering very strongly.

Similarly, SS receivers which use different spreading sequences, or
narrow-band receivers, simply "see" the white-noise-like signal (which
degrades their signal-to-noise ratio somewhat but is not a strong
interferer).

802.11b wireless uses direct-sequence spread spectrum.

A third form is OFDM (orthogonal frequency division multiplexing),
which transmits a whole bunch of carrier signals at closely-spaced
frequencies, each one of which is modulated at a relatively low symbol
rate and carries some portion of the payload information. OFDM-like
multicarrier modulations have been in use for quite a few years... I
believe they were developed at Bell Labs back in the 1960s, were used
in the classic Telebit Trailblazer modems (the first to achieve
reliable, inexpensive 9600-bit/second-and-faster transmission over
voice-grade phone lines), and are the basis of most ADSL network
hookups today (DMT, or "discrete multitone" modems are widely used for
this).

Individual carriers in an OFDM system can be degraded or wiped out by
narrow-band interference. OFDM systems will often react to this in an
adaptive fashion (e.g. the sender and receiver figure out which
carrier frequencies work best at any given point in time), and/or
include forward error correction coding of one sort or another to
recover those bits which were transmitted on carriers that were
interfered with.

WiMax uses OFDM, as does one of the upcoming UWB (ultra-wide-band)
semi-standards.

OFDM has an advantage over direct-sequence spread spectrum, in that
it's more resistant to multipath distortion (signal cancellation due
to the signal arriving via two or more routes which differ in length).

The fourth method is impulse-based ultra-wide-band, which transmits
signals as a series of very closely spaced pulses with very rapid
rise-times (and thus an extremely wide range of frequencies). The
information can be conveyed by the timing, width, spacing, and/or
amplitude of the pulses.

All of these systems can be used to reduce the degree to which the SS
system interferes with other users of the frequency band, and to make
the SS transmission itself less sensitive to narrowband noise.

None of them is, or can be, idea. The signal transmitted by a SS
transmitter will, at best, look like purely random "white noise" to
other users of that frequency band, and will necessarily degrade the
signal-to-noise ratio seen by those other users.

Similarly, other users of a frequency (whether narrow-, wide-, or
spread-spectrum) will at best look like white noise to the receiver in
a spread spectrum system, and will degrade that receiver's SNR to some
extent.

The amount of data any system can transmit depends on the signal
bandwidth, and the signal-to-noise ratio: it's set by the Shannon
limit. Spread-spectrum systems can pump a lot of data through because
their bandwidth is quite wide, and because they can tend to make
interfering signals look like random noise... but they aren't immune
to the Shannon limit themselves (their error rate increases as the
noise level rises) nor can they avoid degrading to some extent the
useful bandwidth of other users of their frequency band.

Modern error-correction coding techniques (specifically, turbo codes)
seem to be able to deliver a useful bandwidth which is very close
indeed to the Shannon limit.

I used to run some equipment that was modulated by a digital psedo random
code, which appeared as noise around the baseband signal. That was
the manned spacecraft 2275 freqs, and the code was used to aquire range data.
They made the code long enough to do the moon and back.

Sounds like a direct-sequence system, presumably using a Barker code
or some similar self-synchronizing pseudorandom code.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark

None of them is, or can be, idea. The signal transmitted by a SS
transmitter will, at best, look like purely random "white noise" to
other users of that frequency band, and will necessarily degrade the
signal-to-noise ratio seen by those other users.

Similarly, other users of a frequency (whether narrow-, wide-, or
spread-spectrum) will at best look like white noise to the receiver in
a spread spectrum system, and will degrade that receiver's SNR to some
extent.

Dave,
great post.. I have one little nit to pick.....

It is my understanding that 2 or more SS users that are synchronized to
each other and are using __orthogonal__ spreading codes will not create
and interference to each other, not even noise....

To the OP
If you have 3 TVs hooked up, your ghosts are probably from all the
wiring..... try it with one TV directly connected ot the sat rcv.

And also to the OP...

I assumme you are talking about Direct TV which now has XM radio....how
did you like the previous Music Choice Service...

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On 30 Nov 2005 18:12:53 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

None of them is, or can be, idea. The signal transmitted by a SS
transmitter will, at best, look like purely random "white noise" to
other users of that frequency band, and will necessarily degrade the
signal-to-noise ratio seen by those other users.

Similarly, other users of a frequency (whether narrow-, wide-, or
spread-spectrum) will at best look like white noise to the receiver in
a spread spectrum system, and will degrade that receiver's SNR to some
extent.

Dave,
great post.. I have one little nit to pick.....

It is my understanding that 2 or more SS users that are synchronized to
each other and are using __orthogonal__ spreading codes will not create
and interference to each other, not even noise....

That is true to an extent. First, it only holds in single path
conditions like a cable connection. In the real world radio waves
arrive by multiple paths of different lengths, so destroying the
coherence of the code edges. Otherwise orthogonal codes then look
increasingly like plain old noise. Secondly, whatever the coding,
there is still power there, which will cause blocking of the front end
of the receiver.

There is a big fallacy concerning spread spectrum that it somehow
makes really efficient use of radio spectrum because if you spread far
enough it "disappears". This is of course nonsense, it doesn't matter
whether you use TDMA, FDMA, OFDM, SS or whatever. You still need the
same bandwidth * SNR product to shift a given amount of data. Shannon
will not be denied.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark

Don,

I agree with you that SS does not give something for nothing. SS does
NOT allow you to cram more data into a given BW... SS does NOT make
more efficient use of the spectrum I never said it does... It is
useful for cell phones becasue it is a good way for multiple users to
share spectrum but the overall agreggate data throughput is not
increased by the use of SS.. I agree with you!

But my understadning is that synchronized SS users do not interfere
with each other when using orthogonal spreading codes. Let me clarify
two things...

1) There is a limit to the number of orthogonal codes so there is a
limit to the number of users...you can NOT pack more and more aggregate
data into the BW then you could without SS.

2) sychronized means that the SS spreading signals are synchronized
____when they arrive at the Rx____ the system must take the prop delay
into account so that the signals are synched at the Tx.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On 1 Dec 2005 07:09:44 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

But my understadning is that synchronized SS users do not interfere
with each other when using orthogonal spreading codes. Let me clarify
two things...

1) There is a limit to the number of orthogonal codes so there is a
limit to the number of users...you can NOT pack more and more aggregate
data into the BW then you could without SS.

2) sychronized means that the SS spreading signals are synchronized
____when they arrive at the Rx____ the system must take the prop delay
into account so that the signals are synched at the Tx.

Mark

You are right. But as I said, in a real system, the degree of
synchronization is way below optimum because of multipath. The signal
from any phone to the base station travels by many paths, of unequal
length and hence delay. This destroys the synchronization. You can
only take propagation delay into account for one of those paths.

As for the other direction, phones receive signals not only from their
own base station, but also from those nearby. The base stations do
their best to synchronize, but unless you are stood equidistant from
all nearby base stations, you don't get synchronized interference.

So although you do get a certain amount of benefit from RW
(orthogonal) coding, it is in reality way beyond what theory would
give you.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:16:08 GMT, (Don Pearce)
wrote:

[...]

Sorry that last sentence should read way BELOW.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

Wow, again. You are making my head hurt...haven't thought much about
this stuff in YEARS. Yeah, DirectTV....did a single test with a
straight drop to one TV...same issue. Unless the whole house is
ringing back into the antenna, it looks like a signal problem and not
local interferrence. I thought the old sound was OK but not great.
Even the new stuff is good for low bandwidth stuff, which is anything
but classical or...at the top of the heap...opera.

This is a truly great discussion. One thing to consider is that if you
have spread spectrum, which is a way of distributing the information
across a wide bandwidth, you also have multicoding schema embeded. The
good stuff used what NASA came up with...actually adapted...for deep
space telemetry. They used what were called inner and outer codes and
Gold codes to make exra-ordinary reduncancy in the signal. This let
the S/N creep do damn near zero and with enough integration and
processing, you could pull something out of nothing.

Frankly, I had forgotten some of the stuff the others are talking
about. But in my early years in lasers, we use to dsay, if you pump
something hard enough, it will lase, even the fabled jello laser,
which was based on lasing the florescent dyes in the damned stuff. The
same types of truisms hold for signal processing. With enough crunch
power, you can encode the hell out of stuff and basically recover a
signal from nothing if it was there to begin with, even in the
presences of all the stuff we dread, such as fading, multipath,
interference, drops, etc. It is truly a matter of bandwidth and
crunching power. Now, the trick is to get this crunch to real time at
a no cost....GOTCHA!!!

Henry

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

True, but there are scheme where Shannon is finessed. Bandwidth, my
man, and encoding. It is the encoding. You aren't cheating Dr.
Shannon...who I think may have just died a few years ago...RIP great
man....you are really being profligate with bandwidth, not chincing on
it. That is the trade off. Redundancy bought with profiligate
bandwidth. As I said before, the trick is to do things in real time
and cheaply. We used to collect data and crunch for a week to pull the
signal out.

Henry

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 08:42:54 GMT, (Don Pearce)
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

I had forgotten this stuff. The problem really is that we are trying
to maximize information and noice/interference immunity in a too
small bandwidth....and doing a really good job with what we have to
work with.

The irony is that with a full-fledged robust spread spectrum system,
theoretically, bandwidth restrictions become moot. You can operate in
any band without screwing up the owners of that band, but regulation
won't allow it and nobody can really build these things cost
effectively.

This was the same thing with writing efficient code in the days when
processors were slow and memory was dear. Anybody old enough to
remember that pain. It is gone now as will the bandwidth concept in
some near future...but those who have paid dearly for that bandwidth
will stiffle any try attempt to move beyond that box. Does the
wireless, cable, and phone regulatory mess ring any bells? Follow the
money.

Henry

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewGuy

People, thanks for the re-education. I am so energized I might make
love to my wife tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!