George Eberhardt

Default How to record phone on computer

I need to make a PC based recording of a phone conference.

Both the phone and the computer will be dedicated to this task, and I will
be using another phone for my input.

I need to know what equipment to purchase and where to purchase it.

My first try, a magnetic pickup from Radio Shack just did not hack it.

TIA
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Len Moskowitz

George Eberhardt wrote:

I need to make a PC based recording of a phone conference.

Get a "phone patch". We use a JK Audio "Inline Patch" and it works
fine. Feed it to the line input on you PC's sound card.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Lucas Tam

"George Eberhardt" wrote in
:

I need to make a PC based recording of a phone conference.

Both the phone and the computer will be dedicated to this task, and I
will be using another phone for my input.

Something like:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...x?language=en-
CA&catalog=RadioShack&category=Recorders&product=4 308957

Or

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...x?language=en-
CA&catalog=RadioShack&category=Recorders&product=4 308236

Will work. You should be able to find a similar product at any Radio Shack.

--
Lucas Tam )
George Eberhardt

"Lucas Tam" wrote in message
.. .
"George Eberhardt" wrote in
:

I need to make a PC based recording of a phone conference.

Both the phone and the computer will be dedicated to this task, and I
will be using another phone for my input.

Something like:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...x?language=en-
CA&catalog=RadioShack&category=Recorders&product=4 308957

Or

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...x?language=en-
CA&catalog=RadioShack&category=Recorders&product=4 308236

Will work. You should be able to find a similar product at any Radio

Shack.

Thanks. With your information I was able to find what I needed in my local
radio shack. Turns out I had been standing about 3 feet away from it about
a week earlier, with a sales droid "helping" me, and did not find it.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

George Eberhardt

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
I need to make a PC based recording of a phone conference.

Both the phone and the computer will be dedicated to this task, and I will
be using another phone for my input.

I need to know what equipment to purchase and where to purchase it.

My first try, a magnetic pickup from Radio Shack just did not hack it.

Thanks to members of this group, I now have the above problem resolved. But
now I find that I need to compress the volume level to make things workable.
My voice comes through well, but some other members of the conference can
just barely be heard; even when I hear them well. A software solution would
be great, but reasonably priced hardware would work too

Thanks.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Lucas Tam

"George Eberhardt" wrote in
:

Thanks to members of this group, I now have the above problem
resolved. But now I find that I need to compress the volume level to
make things workable. My voice comes through well, but some other
members of the conference can just barely be heard; even when I hear
them well. A software solution would be great, but reasonably priced
hardware would work too

What software are you using to record? BTW, are the other members sounding
quiet on your end too (i.e. on the handset?) or is it only recording
softly?

Check your recording parameters too - in the Windows Volumne Control, go
under properties, recording. Click OK. If you have your recording device
attached to the microphone port, you might have access to a feature called
Microphone boost (under Microphone - Advanced). Give that a try and see
how it works. If that doesn't work out... you can do it in software too.
See if your sound editing software has a feature to normalize volumes.

--
Lucas Tam )
Richard Crowley

"George Eberhardt" wrote ...

Thanks to members of this group, I now have the above
problem resolved. But now I find that I need to compress
the volume level to make things workable.

Or maybe not "solved"?

My voice comes through well, but some other members of
the conference can just barely be heard; even when I hear
them well.

That is one of the differences between a cheap gadget from
Radio Shack and the kind of telephone hybrid devices used
by people who are serious (especially broadcast phone-in
talk shows, etc.)

A software solution would
be great, but reasonably priced hardware would work too

Check out "dictation buddy" at www.highcriteria.com.
They sell a bundle of software and hardware specialized for
recording from the phone on a computer.