Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] a6mech@rocketmail.com is offline

Default Peavey CS-800X Question

Scott,

Thanks for the excellent info. I actually got inside of this amp this
weekend. Low, and behold: The culprit is the cooling fan. It's a
115VAC muffin fan that is run at a reduced speed until the unit heats
up. I'm not sure if this is a worn fan, or if the buzz is normal due
to the reduced voltage. When the fan is disconnected, the amp is dead
quiet. I considered just plugging it into 115VAC; but, running it
full-on would be annoying as well. Think a DC fan (of similar
dimensions and air flow rate) would work? Implemntation would be
simple: 115VAC-12V transformer, bridge rectifier, filter cap.... That
would preserve the dual-speed feature without getting into the temp
sensing end of it. There's plenty of room inside the case.

Regards,
Ernst

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

I have one these units, and am pleased with it except for the growling
of the power transformer. Peavey Co. says this is normal. Are there
any replacement (preferably toroidal) transformers available out there?

Sure. Get the voltages, currents, and physical size. Call Plitron and
Toroid Corporation of Maryland and ask how much they'll charge to make you
one.

Semicustom toroids are pretty common... the company winds the primaries
and keeps them on the shelf, then they'll add whatever secondaries you
want on when you order them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Thanks for the excellent info. I actually got inside of this amp this
weekend. Low, and behold: The culprit is the cooling fan. It's a
115VAC muffin fan that is run at a reduced speed until the unit heats
up. I'm not sure if this is a worn fan, or if the buzz is normal due
to the reduced voltage. When the fan is disconnected, the amp is dead
quiet. I considered just plugging it into 115VAC; but, running it
full-on would be annoying as well. Think a DC fan (of similar
dimensions and air flow rate) would work? Implemntation would be
simple: 115VAC-12V transformer, bridge rectifier, filter cap.... That
would preserve the dual-speed feature without getting into the temp
sensing end of it. There's plenty of room inside the case.

Go to Ace Hardware and ask for Zoom Spout Oil. This is Castrol OC-11
turbine oil that has been rebadged. Then get some high grade instrument
grease... in a pinch Mobil 1 racing grease will work.

Take the fan out and remove the plastic cover over the bearing.... on
some fans you may need to remove the label on it. Put a couple drops
of oil in there and work it back and forth. Press down on the blade so
the oil can get down the shaft and around the bearing. Then pack the
hole up with grease (it will only take a gram or two) and put the plastic
cover over it. This will keep the fan quiet for a couple more years
until you wind up having to replace it.

Digi-Key will sell you a Comair/Rotron replacement that will last forever.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

wrote:

full-on would be annoying as well. Think a DC fan (of similar
dimensions and air flow rate) would work? Implemntation would be
simple: 115VAC-12V transformer, bridge rectifier, filter cap.... That
would preserve the dual-speed feature without getting into the temp
sensing end of it. There's plenty of room inside the case.

Delta Electronics makes a series of DC brushless fans
called Sensflow with builtin thermal sensing control.

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/d...cfans_main.asp

I have one that's 12vdc, 4.75" square.
There should be a size, voltage, and flow-rate model to fit
your needs. You might find one that can be used with the
voltages available inside the amp without needing an additional
ps to supply the fan, or the amp may have 12vdc already.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Go to Ace Hardware and ask for Zoom Spout Oil. This is Castrol OC-11
turbine oil that has been rebadged. Then get some high grade instrument
grease... in a pinch Mobil 1 racing grease will work.

Worth a try. I do have a line on a Rotron replacement.

Thanx

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Brian Running Brian Running is offline

Thanks for the excellent info. I actually got inside of this amp this
weekend. Low, and behold: The culprit is the cooling fan.

This is not an uncommon thing with Peavey amps, apparently. I had a
Peavey T-Max bass amp a few years back with a cooling fan that howled
like a banshee. Mentioned it to the dealer, and they acted as if it was
a common thing. Peavey sent me a new one, free of charge, with no
questions asked. Problem solved. Wouldn't surprise me if yours was the
identical fan.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Brian Running wrote:
Thanks for the excellent info. I actually got inside of this amp this
weekend. Low, and behold: The culprit is the cooling fan.

This is not an uncommon thing with Peavey amps, apparently. I had a
Peavey T-Max bass amp a few years back with a cooling fan that howled
like a banshee. Mentioned it to the dealer, and they acted as if it was
a common thing. Peavey sent me a new one, free of charge, with no
questions asked. Problem solved. Wouldn't surprise me if yours was the
identical fan.

Guess it never hurts to ask. Thanks for the info.

Ernst