Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Speaker troubles

My Boston (2.1) Speakers have been having some trouble. I have had the
speakers for about 5 years now and up till now they have been great.
Lately though the volume level goes up and down sparatically without me
touching anything. I think it is a short. What should I do and how do I
fix it. Thanks!!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Boston (2.1) Speakers have been having some trouble. I have had the
speakers for about 5 years now and up till now they have been great.
Lately though the volume level goes up and down sparatically without me
touching anything. I think it is a short. What should I do and how do I
fix it. Thanks!!

That sounds like a speaker cable problem, actually. Look for a loose
connection at either the speaker or the amplifier.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

"mc" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
My Boston (2.1) Speakers have been having some trouble. I have had the
speakers for about 5 years now and up till now they have been great.
Lately though the volume level goes up and down sparatically without me
touching anything. I think it is a short. What should I do and how do I
fix it. Thanks!!

That sounds like a speaker cable problem, actually. Look for a loose
connection at either the speaker or the amplifier.

.... or a broken crossover component lead or PCB.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Boston (2.1) Speakers have been having some trouble. I have had the
speakers for about 5 years now and up till now they have been great.
Lately though the volume level goes up and down sparatically without me
touching anything. I think it is a short. What should I do and how do I
fix it. Thanks!!

This may be a dumb question, but have you swapped the speakers round to
determine that it is definaely the speaker that is faulty?

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Gareth Magennis wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

My Boston (2.1) Speakers have been having some trouble. I have had the
speakers for about 5 years now and up till now they have been great.
Lately though the volume level goes up and down sparatically without me
touching anything. I think it is a short. What should I do and how do I
fix it. Thanks!!

This may be a dumb question, but have you swapped the speakers round to
determine that it is definaely the speaker that is faulty?

Especially when he specifically says 'speakers' (note plural), it sounds
like he should be looking at something common to both stereo sides...in
this case the amplifier or receiver.

Just a guess would be a faulty volume control pot, but often even that
manifests on one channel at a time....

jak

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Thanks guys for all your help. I looked for lose connections and there
didn't seem to be any. But when I opened up the speaker case and looked
around I saw that were that where the negative wire is soldered onto
the speaker it seemed to be burnt (there are black and brown marks
around it). Do you think that this is the source of the problem?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks guys for all your help. I looked for lose connections and there
didn't seem to be any. But when I opened up the speaker case and looked
around I saw that were that where the negative wire is soldered onto
the speaker it seemed to be burnt (there are black and brown marks
around it). Do you think that this is the source of the problem?

sometimes a maker will put markings on soldered connections that will easily
indicate if the unit has been tampered with and thus violate warranty.

look for loose connections, loose parts on the crossovers, cracked PC
boards.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks guys for all your help. I looked for lose connections and there
didn't seem to be any. But when I opened up the speaker case and looked
around I saw that were that where the negative wire is soldered onto
the speaker it seemed to be burnt (there are black and brown marks
around it). Do you think that this is the source of the problem?

Given that heat arises in a conductor which is too thin for the current
needed, I would guess that the cionnection has fatigued and partially
broken.

That burn-marks are not normally a feature of speaker wiring makes me
suspect that this may indeed have some bearing. While it was open did you
do the obvious, and re-terminated the wire ? Did the intermittancy go away
?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"Geoff@home" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks guys for all your help. I looked for lose connections and there
didn't seem to be any. But when I opened up the speaker case and looked
around I saw that were that where the negative wire is soldered onto
the speaker it seemed to be burnt (there are black and brown marks
around it). Do you think that this is the source of the problem?

The black and brown marks may just be flux (the stuff that is in the core of
solder and is supposed to burn away when you solder but never completely
does).

But that is the obvious connection to check. I'd take it off and redo it.