Brian

Default Sony MDR-7506 for tracking guitar??

Here is my situation (non-ideal - I know!!). I recently decided I want to
put my SM57 to use instead of recording my guitar direct. Just bought a VHT
2502 and a GenzBenz G-Flex 2x12 cab for this purpose. Using a hafler Triple
Giant preamp. Anyway, the cabinet will be mic'd in the same room I am
recording in. So I need headphones that

1. Will show me accurately what that mic'd cab is sounding like
2. Is comfortable while I am recording
3. Has great isolation so I don't hear too much of that cabinet coming
through. Does this requirement conflict with 2 above?

Is the Sony MDR-7506 good for this purpose? Other recommendations? I see
people mentioning Beyer and Sennheiser a lot.

thanks,

brian
www.guitar-dreams.com

Garthrr

In article m, "Brian"
writes:

p. Anyway, the cabinet will be mic'd in the same room I am
recording in. So I need headphones that

1. Will show me accurately what that mic'd cab is sounding like
2. Is comfortable while I am recording
3. Has great isolation so I don't hear too much of that cabinet coming
through. Does this requirement conflict with 2 above?

Is the Sony MDR-7506 good for this purpose? Other recommendations? I see
people mentioning Beyer and Sennheiser a lot.

I am not aware of any headphones that could effectively keep out the sound of a
guitar amp which is in the room with you (unless you play whisper quiet). For
that reason there is no way to hear what the guitar is really sounding like as
it goes to the recorder while you are playing. You will probably have some
phasing between the live amp and the feed through the recorder and no doubt you
will hear more low end coming from the amp in the room than you will on
playback.

That being said, you could do just fine with MDR 7509s (a step up from the
7506). They have good iso and they sound good IMO. For the most isolation I am
aware of in a headphone try the Beyer 150. I dont think guitar sounds very good
through them though.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Peter Hawkinson

There is a manufacturer that puts the drivers from the 7506 into an
isolating headset. I haven't used them but they have gotten some good
reviews. Check them out he

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

-p

In article m,
"Brian" wrote:

Here is my situation (non-ideal - I know!!). I recently decided I want to
put my SM57 to use instead of recording my guitar direct. Just bought a VHT
2502 and a GenzBenz G-Flex 2x12 cab for this purpose. Using a hafler Triple
Giant preamp. Anyway, the cabinet will be mic'd in the same room I am
recording in. So I need headphones that

1. Will show me accurately what that mic'd cab is sounding like
2. Is comfortable while I am recording
3. Has great isolation so I don't hear too much of that cabinet coming
through. Does this requirement conflict with 2 above?

Is the Sony MDR-7506 good for this purpose? Other recommendations? I see
people mentioning Beyer and Sennheiser a lot.

thanks,

brian
www.guitar-dreams.com

alex

"Brian" wrote in message ws.com...
1. Will show me accurately what that mic'd cab is sounding like
2. Is comfortable while I am recording
3. Has great isolation so I don't hear too much of that cabinet coming
through. Does this requirement conflict with 2 above?

Is the Sony MDR-7506 good for this purpose? Other recommendations? I see
people mentioning Beyer and Sennheiser a lot.

etymotic ear buds, ear plugs and reference quality headphones in one.
i took the reccomendation from many people here and am so glad i did.
it's the only solution that has even come close to solving these three
problems for me. bass response it a little weird, but that's the only
complaint i have.

alex
Geoff Wood

"Brian" wrote in message
s.com...
Here is my situation (non-ideal - I know!!). I recently decided I want to
put my SM57 to use instead of recording my guitar direct. Just bought a

VHT
2502 and a GenzBenz G-Flex 2x12 cab for this purpose. Using a hafler

Triple
Giant preamp. Anyway, the cabinet will be mic'd in the same room I am
recording in. So I need headphones that

1. Will show me accurately what that mic'd cab is sounding like
2. Is comfortable while I am recording
3. Has great isolation so I don't hear too much of that cabinet coming
through. Does this requirement conflict with 2 above?

Is the Sony MDR-7506 good for this purpose? Other recommendations? I see
people mentioning Beyer and Sennheiser a lot.

Whatever phones you choose, you stand a good chance of damaging your
hearing. The 7506s go dangerously loud, and emphasise the upper mids.

Why do you need to hear your guitar through headphones (isn't the direct
sound realistic enough ?!!) . What about concentrating on the performance
in time domain, with the already laid trax, and obssess about the minutii of
the guitar tone afterwards ?

geoff

Richard Kuschel

Whatever phones you choose, you stand a good chance of damaging your
hearing. The 7506s go dangerously loud, and emphasise the upper mids.

Not if you choose the Etymotic Canal phones.

You can listen at levels less than ambient SPL's.

I bought them for jazz recording gigs when I am in the same room as the band. I
no longer need to have 'phones that are 35 dB louder than the band.
Richard H. Kuschel
Garthrr

In article , "Geoff Wood"
-nospam writes:

Why do you need to hear your guitar through headphones (isn't the direct
sound realistic enough ?!!) . What about concentrating on the performance
in time domain, with the already laid trax, and obssess about the minutii of
the guitar tone afterwards ?

geoff

If he has to wear the phones while playing he's going to need some guitar in
them. The sound from the room that manages to leak through the phones is going
to sound very dark and muted. It wont sound realistic. If he's not digging the
sound he hears in his phones its going to affect his playing and make it hard
to perform. Getting a (hopefully) inspirational tone in the phones is worth
trying to do and it can be done. His original question, though, had to do with
blocking all of the room sound out with the headphones and that is not possible
AFAIK.