Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Stolte Keith Stolte is offline

Default Recording Orchestra

Today at a concert I saw a orchestra being recorded by two mics, I
believe that they were Cardroid Condenser (but I'm not entirely sure),
going in to a Cassette Tape machine. If I remember correctly Compact
Cassette tapes have a sample rate of 38kHz. The mics were about 5 feet
apart, at different altitudes, and also at different vertical angles.
What are your opinions on this situation?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Keith Stolte wrote:
Today at a concert I saw a orchestra being recorded by two mics, I
believe that they were Cardroid Condenser (but I'm not entirely sure),
going in to a Cassette Tape machine. If I remember correctly Compact
Cassette tapes have a sample rate of 38kHz. The mics were about 5 feet
apart, at different altitudes, and also at different vertical angles.
What are your opinions on this situation?

I think you are a troll and you're making it up. At least, I hope you are.
The alternative is almost too horrible to contemplate.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Keith Stolte wrote:
Today at a concert I saw a orchestra being recorded by two mics, I
believe that they were Cardroid Condenser (but I'm not entirely sure),
going in to a Cassette Tape machine. If I remember correctly Compact
Cassette tapes have a sample rate of 38kHz. The mics were about 5 feet
apart, at different altitudes, and also at different vertical angles.
What are your opinions on this situation?

I think you are a troll and you're making it up. At least, I hope you are.
The alternative is almost too horrible to contemplate.

Sorry I am not a troll, so you agree with me that the recording was not
up to par, right? It was a high school Regional Orchestra concert, and
the orchestra director of the school instead of hiring a professional,
decided that she thinks her method would work, because apparently
sarcasmshes made some great recordings!/sarcasm. I personally have
experience in the recording field, and its going to be my major in
college, and I went up to my director to complain saying that the
recording is not going to be any good, and then after she told the
director that was doing the recording, my director apparently got in
trouble and blah blah blah. I hope you guys understood that, I really
tried to fix the situation but nothing worked. It's very unfortunate.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2 Dec 2006 16:38:11 -0800, "Keith Stolte"
wrote:

Sorry I am not a troll, so you agree with me that the recording was not
up to par, right? It was a high school Regional Orchestra concert, and
the orchestra director of the school instead of hiring a professional,
decided that she thinks her method would work, because apparently
sarcasmshes made some great recordings!/sarcasm. I personally have
experience in the recording field, and its going to be my major in
college, and I went up to my director to complain saying that the
recording is not going to be any good, and then after she told the
director that was doing the recording, my director apparently got in
trouble and blah blah blah. I hope you guys understood that, I really
tried to fix the situation but nothing worked. It's very unfortunate.

So, what did the recording sound like? Actually, sticking any old
microphones up, feeding any old recording system, often produces a
remarkably acceptable result. You can enjoy music on a trannie
radio, a TV speaker, a low-rate MP3 etc. etc even though in some
respects they're technically crap.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Stolte Keith Stolte is offline

On Dec 2, 8:02 pm, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
Actually, sticking any old
microphones up, feeding any old recording system, often produces a
remarkably acceptable result. You can enjoy music on a trannie
radio, a TV speaker, a low-rate MP3 etc. etc even though in some
respects they're technically crap.

I'm hoping that the mics were from around the same time as the
recording system. But isn't recording to Cassette Tape considered bad?
I mean I know recording to Analogue is good, but I kinda think that
Cassette's are more of a consumer grade then master/professional grade.

I'm hoping that I am proved wrong, because the orchestra was extremely
good this year, we had a remarkable concert, and I would like to have
something to remember it by.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Keith Stolte wrote:

Sorry I am not a troll,

Not all had that as their first thought. Sample rate does not apply for
cassette tape btw, assuming you mean compact casette.

so you agree with me that the recording was not
up to par, right?

IF it was cardioids, then it would be problematic, it could be less
problematic if it was in fact omnis.

It was a high school Regional Orchestra concert, and the
orchestra director of the school instead of hiring a professional,
decided that she thinks her method would work,

Some musicians get that ailment. Some are curable, conductors that think
they know sound can be more of a challenge. You could have approached
the situation wiser, for instance by asking what the benefit of the
arrangement of the microphones was.

As long as you are to learn, then it is a good default policy to learn
WHY people do things in ways that appear to make no sense, because some
of the time there is sense in it anyway, so learn how they think. Feel
free to disagree, and to do otherwise if you have a go at the same
chore, but do not alienate them unless you are positive that you can do
without their learning.

because apparently
sarcasmshes made some great recordings!/sarcasm.

Forget that attitude, then you will learn more and learn faster. You
were, as you describe it, trolling at the event. It is wise to learn to
disagree silently some of the time, you may be factually right, but
other concerns may decide things.

One such example is the recent discussion of when to compress vox,
before or after "tape". The good reason for doing it "before" was given
to me yesterday afternoon: the decision of what to do is made, there is
one less decision to make later. It is not a technical reason, it a
stress control reason.

I personally have
experience in the recording field, and its going to be my major in
college, and I went up to my director to complain saying that the
recording is not going to be any good, and then after she told the
director that was doing the recording, my director apparently got in
trouble and blah blah blah. I hope you guys understood that, I really
tried to fix the situation but nothing worked. It's very unfortunate.

There is hardly ever any changing a show 30 minutes before the event,
people behave like drivers in the morning traffic that close to an
event, they are all on a script and detest being interrupted, detest
anything that does not happen as they imagined it would.

If the recording had been vital, then they had gotten someone to do it,
it may be difficult to get optimally sounding, but it is still the best
recording there is, and the actual event is documented, something that
may well suffice.

I agree with you that the setup probably was foolish, I would probably
have been as stupid as you were, and I may not be able to avoid being
similarly stupid some other time, but it was nevertheles plain silly of
you not to address the issue in the way that gave you most actual
learning. Or perhaps you did ....

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Keith Stolte" wrote in message
ps.com

Today at a concert I saw a orchestra being recorded by
two mics, I believe that they were Cardroid Condenser
(but I'm not entirely sure), going in to a Cassette Tape
machine.

Spaced cardioids - not the best
Cassette recorder - not good at all

If I remember correctly Compact Cassette tapes
have a sample rate of 38kHz.

Cassette is analog, sample rates are digital. Thing is, if cassette worked
as well as good digital sampled at 38 Khz, some people would probably take
it a lot more seriously.

The mics were about 5 feet apart,

Not really any of the better-accepted ways to use cardioids.

at different altitudes,

Shows a lack of care.

and also at different vertical angles.

More lack of care.

What are your opinions on this situation?

Poorly-informed, poorly-equipped amateur, to say the least.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Keith Stolte" wrote in
ups.com:

I'm hoping that the mics were from around the same time as the
recording system. But isn't recording to Cassette Tape considered bad?
I mean I know recording to Analogue is good, but I kinda think that
Cassette's are more of a consumer grade then master/professional grade.

Like all analog gear, maintenance is key. If the deck is clean and
calibrated with the correct tape you can get enough quality to hear the
concert.

There are much better choices that cassette tape, but, depending on the
environment, cassettes might be as good as anything else.

Recording a high school orchestra in a gym with big heaters blowing and an
audience who aren't paying much attention, the noise levels will be higher
than the noise floor of a decent cassette deck. And there are many
microphones without no more high end than a cassette tape.

I'm hoping that I am proved wrong, because the orchestra was extremely
good this year, we had a remarkable concert, and I would like to have
something to remember it by.

You'll have that. It certainly could have been recorded better, but
there's a good chance that the product will be at least listenable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Stolte Keith Stolte is offline

On Dec 2, 8:30 pm, Peter Larsen
wrote:
Some musicians get that ailment. Some are curable, conductors that think
they know sound can be more of a challenge. You could have approached
the situation wiser, for instance by asking what the benefit of the
arrangement of the microphones was.

As long as you are to learn, then it is a good default policy to learn
WHY people do things in ways that appear to make no sense, because some
of the time there is sense in it anyway, so learn how they think. Feel
free to disagree, and to do otherwise if you have a go at the same
chore, but do not alienate them unless you are positive that you can do
without their learning.

You are right, I should have asked why instead of immediately
critizising it. This person is a high school conductor, I forgot if
they were Band or Orchestra.

because apparently
sarcasmshes made some great recordings!/sarcasm.Forget that attitude, then you will learn more and learn faster. You

were, as you describe it, trolling at the event. It is wise to learn to
disagree silently some of the time, you may be factually right, but
other concerns may decide things.

I should have just kept to my self, but at the time I was really
excited and passionate about the concert, inwhich that got the better
of me and made me act irrationally.

If the recording had been vital, then they had gotten someone to do it,
it may be difficult to get optimally sounding, but it is still the best
recording there is, and the actual event is documented, something that
may well suffice.

True.

I agree with you that the setup probably was foolish, I would probably
have been as stupid as you were, and I may not be able to avoid being
similarly stupid some other time, but it was nevertheles plain silly of
you not to address the issue in the way that gave you most actual
learning. Or perhaps you did ....

I don't understand this last paragraph.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 2, 9:30 pm, Carey Carlan wrote:
"Keith Stolte" wrote roups.com:

I'm hoping that the mics were from around the same time as the
recording system. But isn't recording to Cassette Tape considered bad?
I mean I know recording to Analogue is good, but I kinda think that
Cassette's are more of a consumer grade then master/professional grade.Like all analog gear, maintenance is key. If the deck is clean and

calibrated with the correct tape you can get enough quality to hear the
concert.

There are much better choices that cassette tape, but, depending on the
environment, cassettes might be as good as anything else.

Unfortunately, I do not know what the condition of the equipment, but I
do believe that it was Public High School equipment. And so I'm kinda
if-y on the condition of the equipment.

I'm hoping that I am proved wrong, because the orchestra was extremely
good this year, we had a remarkable concert, and I would like to have
something to remember it by.You'll have that. It certainly could have been recorded better, but

there's a good chance that the product will be at least listenable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Keith Stolte wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Sorry I am not a troll, so you agree with me that the recording was not
up to par, right? It was a high school Regional Orchestra concert, and
the orchestra director of the school instead of hiring a professional,
decided that she thinks her method would work, because apparently
sarcasmshes made some great recordings!/sarcasm. I personally have
experience in the recording field, and its going to be my major in
college, and I went up to my director to complain saying that the
recording is not going to be any good, and then after she told the
director that was doing the recording, my director apparently got in
trouble and blah blah blah. I hope you guys understood that, I really
tried to fix the situation but nothing worked. It's very unfortunate.

Who is the recording for? If it's for her, and she's the one paying
the bills, it's her right.

If you're paying the bills, you can hire me. I'm very reasonable.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 2, 10:27 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Who is the recording for? If it's for her, and she's the one paying
the bills, it's her right.

If you're paying the bills, you can hire me. I'm very reasonable

$15 per CD and with the stack of order forms that I saw, it looked like
alot of money.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 2, 10:33 pm, "Keith Stolte" wrote:
On Dec 2, 10:27 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Who is the recording for? If it's for her, and she's the one paying
the bills, it's her right.

If you're paying the bills, you can hire me. I'm very reasonable$15 per CD and with the stack of order forms that I saw, it looked like

alot of money.

oh geez, I didn't answer your question, It's for whoever wants to pay
for the CD.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Fuchs Daniel Fuchs is offline

Keith Stolte wrote:

If I remember correctly Compact
Cassette tapes have a sample rate of 38kHz.

Ouch.

The mics were about 5 feet
apart, at different altitudes, and also at different vertical angles.
What are your opinions on this situation?

I saw worse yesterday. A choir concert with a small orchestra in a very
reverberant church, and someone (probably the conductor's father) had
placed two cheap ****ty mics (the kind that looks like headphone plugs
and can actually be plugged into your ears to form a "natural" dummy
head -"OKM"), dangling somewhere, less that a foot apart, and placed all
the way across the church, up at the organ, feeding a portable Minidisc
recorder. Simply criminal....

D.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2 Dec 2006 17:13:28 -0800, "Keith Stolte"
wrote:

I'm hoping that the mics were from around the same time as the
recording system. But isn't recording to Cassette Tape considered bad?
I mean I know recording to Analogue is good, but I kinda think that
Cassette's are more of a consumer grade then master/professional grade.

Yeah, they could have done better. But it'll be OK. As you say,
she's done it that way before, and the result was acceptable. Anyway,
what were you going to do about it? Did you have better gear ready to
rig? A professional recordist waiting in the car-park?

When the recording's distributed, get a copy. If you want, compare it
with a recording of a concert YOU recorded. No-one has to be a
wanabee recordist these days, adequate equipment is cheap. Maybe
you'll get the job next time. (If you don't WANT the job, perhaps you
should just shut up:-)

What has this taught you about your people skills?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

What are your opinions on this situation?

Poorly-informed, poorly-equipped amateur, to say the least.

Now, Arny! Don't we remember a recent occasion when you defended
your policy of using incompetent sound-board operators on your church
gig? Keenness was rated higher than result. Why is this different?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 10:17:09 +0100, Daniel Fuchs
wrote:

The mics were about 5 feet
apart, at different altitudes, and also at different vertical angles.
What are your opinions on this situation?

I saw worse yesterday. A choir concert with a small orchestra in a very
reverberant church, and someone (probably the conductor's father) had
placed two cheap ****ty mics (the kind that looks like headphone plugs
and can actually be plugged into your ears to form a "natural" dummy
head -"OKM"), dangling somewhere, less that a foot apart, and placed all
the way across the church, up at the organ, feeding a portable Minidisc
recorder. Simply criminal....

You must have been LIVID! I trust you gave someone a good
shouting-out over it :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian Bell Ian Bell is offline

Keith Stolte wrote:

I personally have
experience in the recording field, and its going to be my major in
college,

Really. Then you really need to work a little harder because compact
cassette is analog so talking about sample rate is completely wrong, and
even if you meant DCC the sample rate is not 38KHz and even if it were that
would give a 19KHz bandwidth which is as good as FM radio.

Secondly, spaced microphones for stereo is a commonly used technique.
Doesn't always work but isn't always bad.

and I went up to my director to complain saying that the
recording is not going to be any good,

And you really need to learn some interpersonal skills if you are going to
work in the industry. Complaining will get you nowhere.

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

Keith,

the two mics were stereo mics, dual capsule.?

the cassette recorder was a da78 digital multi track tape recorder.?

she recorded two stereo pair, dumped into a daw, mixed to cd.?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in
message

What are your opinions on this situation?

Poorly-informed, poorly-equipped amateur, to say the
least.

Now, Arny! Don't we remember a recent occasion when you
defended your policy of using incompetent sound-board
operators on your church gig?

You're barking up the wrong tree. I think I know exactly who has done that,
and it ain't me. If I need to, I can post names and dates and google
references to prove my point. Do you want me to let this pass or take you to
the mats and kick your A$$?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 06:06:14 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Now, Arny! Don't we remember a recent occasion when you
defended your policy of using incompetent sound-board
operators on your church gig?

You're barking up the wrong tree. I think I know exactly who has done that,
and it ain't me. If I need to, I can post names and dates and google
references to prove my point. Do you want me to let this pass or take you to
the mats and kick your A$$?

Sure, if I remembered the wrong guy, point me at the thread. I'll be
happy to retract.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Keith Stolte wrote:

But isn't recording to Cassette Tape considered bad?

No or perhaps yes.

I mean I know recording to Analogue is good

No or perhaps yes.

but I kinda think that Cassette's are more of a consumer
grade then master/professional grade.

To some extent that grading could be about whether price should be "xx
dollards" or "xx multiplied by 3" dollars, Sony did multiply the price
of the 510 by three when they moved it from the consumer catalouge to
the pro catalouge.

Some years ago I heard a sales guy compare Sony's first DAT recorder
with one of their compact casette recorders with dolby S (?), both
machines in ex works state. The compact casette recorder sounded more
pleaasing to the ear. Of course, all dolby versions are - to varying
degree - problematic if you move the tape to a slightly differently
aligned casette recorder .... AD and DA conversion did however improve
fairly rapidly in those years and that difference would probably not
have been or be the general rule.

I'm hoping that I am proved wrong, because the orchestra was
extremely good this year, we had a remarkable concert, and I
would like to have something to remember it by.

If there is only one recording, then that recording is the best one. Get
it and enjoy it for the documentation of the event, it is probably not
perfect but it is something vital for you: it is a recording with known
"issues".

As for the somewhat high lix count of my previous followup: here are
some extra paragraph dividers, appply as needed: ,,,,,,;;;;;;.....

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Daniel Fuchs wrote:

I saw worse yesterday. A choir concert with a small orchestra
in a very reverberant church, and someone (probably the
conductor's father) had placed two cheap ****ty mics (the kind
that looks like headphone plugs and can actually be plugged into
your ears to form a "natural" dummy head -"OKM"),

The small Sennheisers? - they are not "****ty"! They work very well on a
jecklin disk, a wee bit too much 10 kHz on axis, but they are not meant
to be used on axis, rather they are meant for being aimed upwards.

dangling somewhere, less that a foot apart, and placed all
the way across the church, up at the organ, feeding a portable
Minidisc recorder. Simply criminal....

A bit far away yes, but the stuff you describe is not at all bad.
Suggest the making of a jecklin disk, 6 mm plywood 5 by 10 inches
(horisontally) covered with carpet will do nice but somewhat larger and
round is probably better. It need not be as large as the center slice of
a head. Supplement with a Manfrotto stand to get it some 8 to 12 feet
up, generally 4 feet behind the conductor and that equipment will many
rigs fair competition.

Back in the 1970-ties in our tape recordists club an old semideaf guy
with such a pair of Sennheisers, a homemade jecklin disk and a fairly
ordinary mic stand, came home with some of the overall best recordings,
in spite of using a portable compact casette deck with dolby B. It needs
to be said that we have always considered "obtained quality" vs.
"obtainable with equipment" but still Chris, as he was called, some of
the times came home with the best overall sound, ie. simply the most
listenable recording, and never came home with something that was really
bad.

D.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Fuchs Daniel Fuchs is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

The small Sennheisers? -

No. OKM. Made by a german company called Soundman. Here's a pic:
http://www.fravaclavik.com/okm/images/YAPOJENI_VELK.JPG
Maybe not even *all* that ****ty, but the placement was absurd.

A bit far away yes, but the stuff you describe is not at all bad.

Believe me, it was... The sound in the church was muddy to begin with, I
was contemplating and concluded that I could have just so managed a
decent recording with 8 mics, without things getting lost in the reverb.
The conductor said he didn't need an external recordist, he was going to
do it himself. I was expecting something like a stereo pair of cardioids
in front of the ensemble (would have still not sounded good), but not
this... :-/

but still Chris, as he was called, some of
the times came home with the best overall sound, ie. simply the most
listenable recording, and never came home with something that was really
bad.

I've made listenable recordings with cheap mics (like two old Radio
Shack PZMs) , placemement matters a lot... In this case, this was just
*not* done with any brains... The mics were dangling across the reilings
of the organ's gallery, forming a bit of a PZM in a way, but at this
distance from the source and so close together, the music will be barely
recognizable and practically mono. Add to this the AGC of the MD
recorder...

D.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Now, Arny! Don't we remember a recent occasion when
you defended your policy of using incompetent
sound-board operators on your church gig?

You're barking up the wrong tree. I think I know exactly
who has done that, and it ain't me. If I need to, I can
post names and dates and google references to prove my
point. Do you want me to let this pass or take you to
the mats and kick your A$$?

Sure, if I remembered the wrong guy, point me at the
thread. I'll be happy to retract.

I have a ton more quotes, but this one should make my position
with/respect/to the person in question clear:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...7ee9b9b916014c

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Daniel Fuchs wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:

The small Sennheisers? -

No. OKM. Made by a german company called Soundman. Here's a pic:
http://www.fravaclavik.com/okm/images/YAPOJENI_VELK.JPG

Oh oh, not the assumed equipment grade.

Maybe not even *all* that ****ty, but the placement was absurd.

Indeed.

D.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 08:06:25 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Sure, if I remembered the wrong guy, point me at the
thread. I'll be happy to retract.

I have a ton more quotes, but this one should make my position
with/respect/to the person in question clear:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...7ee9b9b916014c

That quote seems to be about powerpoint?

As you've got "a ton more quotes", it'll be no problem to find the
right one? Otherwise it might look as if you're wriggling. We
wouldn't want that :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Keith Stolte" wrote in
ups.com:

On Dec 2, 10:33 pm, "Keith Stolte" wrote:
On Dec 2, 10:27 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Who is the recording for? If it's for her, and she's the one
paying the bills, it's her right.

If you're paying the bills, you can hire me. I'm very
reasonable$15 per CD and with the stack of order forms that I saw,
it looked like

alot of money.

oh geez, I didn't answer your question, It's for whoever wants to pay
for the CD.

Back up. She's going to tranfer this to CD and charge $15 each for the
copies? That's starting to move a bit to the "unreasonable" side.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 3, 9:36 am, Carey Carlan wrote:
Back up. She's going to tranfer this to CD and charge $15 each for the
copies? That's starting to move a bit to the "unreasonable" side.

I am unsure where the money is going to go to though, it might go to
the school or to help pay for the event. I am not sure.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Keith Stolte wrote:
On Dec 3, 9:36 am, Carey Carlan wrote:
Back up. She's going to tranfer this to CD and charge $15 each for the
copies? That's starting to move a bit to the "unreasonable" side.

I am unsure where the money is going to go to though, it might go to
the school or to help pay for the event. I am not sure.

You sure that was a cassette recorder and not a DAT deck?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
You sure that was a cassette recorder and not a DAT deck?

I am very sure, there were blank cassette tapes next to the machine, no
DAT to be found anywhere. It was a Cassette Deck, I know what a DAT
machine looks like.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 3, 12:00 pm, "Keith Stolte" wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
You sure that was a cassette recorder and not a DAT deck?I am very sure, there were blank cassette tapes next to the machine, no

DAT to be found anywhere. It was a Cassette Deck, I know what a DAT
machine looks like.

do you know what a Hi-8 tape machine/tape looks like??
do you know what a stereo mic cable looks like??

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
SNIP
Suggest the making of a jecklin disk, 6 mm plywood 5 by 10 inches
(horisontally) covered with carpet will do nice but somewhat larger and
round is probably better. It need not be as large as the center slice of
a head. Supplement with a Manfrotto stand to get it some 8 to 12 feet
up, generally 4 feet behind the conductor and that equipment will many
rigs fair competition.

SNIP
Peter Larsen

Peter-- where can one obtain the Manfrotto stands? The model that works
best for me, the model 3076 is no longer in production.

Had I known that they were going to be discontinued, I would have
purchaded about 1/2 dozen of them.

They were better built than the s-15 sold by Beyer and Shure -- less
money also.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Daniel Fuchs wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:

The small Sennheisers? -

No. OKM. Made by a german company called Soundman. Here's a pic:
http://www.fravaclavik.com/okm/images/YAPOJENI_VELK.JPG

Oh oh, not the assumed equipment grade.

Maybe not even *all* that ****ty, but the placement was absurd.

Indeed.

Unless the recordist was the organist, who wanted to hear him/herself for
purposes of checking the performance, and didn't care about the rest of the
sound.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Peter-- where can one obtain the Manfrotto stands?

The usable ones constitute "photographic equipment" by being lightweight
lighting stands. I don't think they even know that they make the best
portable mic stands on the planet.

The model that works
best for me, the model 3076 is no longer in production.

The one I have wanted for years, and always postponed because I have a
larger custom made stand, is - as I recall this - the 350. I had a pdf
printed from a webpage about it somewhere, so that I would know what
model it is, I probably still have it, but I have moved lots of data to
a backup-server to keep this here box uncluttered and reasonably fast to
back up.

A similar stand is still around, but it has been shortened ....

They were better built than the s-15 sold by Beyer and Shure -- less
money also.

The one I am thinking of allows all the stuff for a two track location
recording to be easily transported by public means of transport, and it
is extremely convenient to have that option.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Sure, if I remembered the wrong guy, point me at the
thread. I'll be happy to retract.

I have a ton more quotes, but this one should make my
position with/respect/to the person in question clear:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...7ee9b9b916014c

That quote seems to be about powerpoint?

Sure, and it names the guilty party, and shows something about our
relationship.

As you've got "a ton more quotes", it'll be no problem to
find the right one?

I was just doing a Rockwell test on your head, Laurence. It came up about
90.

http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/rockwell.htm

Otherwise it might look as if
you're wriggling. We wouldn't want that :-)

It is you who are wriggling, Lauren\ce. Even when faced with the name of the
guilty party and evidence that I've been known to exhort him to set his
technical standards higher, you choose to act like nothing ever happened. If
you can't or don't want to provide evidence to back up your false claims
about me (which of course you can't because your claim is false) then you
should just admit that you were talking out the back of your neck.

I've been the extra mile with you Laurence, and now the ball is in your
court. Fish or cut bait.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
message ...
Daniel Fuchs wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:

The small Sennheisers? -

No. OKM. Made by a german company called Soundman.
Here's a pic:
http://www.fravaclavik.com/okm/images/YAPOJENI_VELK.JPG

Oh oh, not the assumed equipment grade.

Maybe not even *all* that ****ty, but the placement was
absurd.

Indeed.

Unless the recordist was the organist, who wanted to hear
him/herself for purposes of checking the performance, and
didn't care about the rest of the sound.

The irony being that with organs, very casual mic placment can work pretty
well, because their sound tends to be very pervasive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul Stamler wrote:

Unless the recordist was the organist, who wanted to hear him/herself for
purposes of checking the performance, and didn't care about the rest of the
sound.

There was no organ here... The musical action took place all the way
across the church, partly even behind a rather big stone altar.

D.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:34:24 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

[...]

Well, from your ton of quotes, you still haven't found the relevant
one :-)

I remember a God-botherer defending his use of incompetent sound
operators. As you're our resident God-botherer, I thought it was you.
You offered to provide evidence that it wasn't you. Having made this
offer, I count it as wriggling that you seem unable to do so.