Posted to rec.audio.tech
A S Goh

Default Switching PS improvement

Hi rat

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355
Thanks

Goh

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"A S Goh" wrote ...
How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd
player? Is it possible to replace with a normal power
supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355

What is it about your PS that needs "improvement"?
The very generic nature of your question makes it seem
rather dubious.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:35:39 +0800, "A S Goh"
wrote:

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355

What's it doing wrong? What improvement is required?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann

In , on 03/18/06
at 10:35 PM, "A S Goh" said:

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it
possible to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer
DV-355 Thanks

I'll sing along with the chorus -- why do you need to replace the power
supply? This does not sound like a good idea to me.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA

If the power supply has a good clean DC output to operate your player, it
should not need servicing or substitution.

There are many articles written in various magazines that indicate
modifications, and claiming improvements in various equipment. The bottom
line is that proper testing, comparisons, and evaluation are required to
prove if these mods really work.

--

JANA
_____

"A S Goh" wrote in message
Hi rat

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355
Thanks

Goh

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

"A S Goh" wrote in message
Hi rat

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it

possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355
Thanks

Goh

measure the existing power supply voltages and replace with batteries for
pure ripple free DC. add Anchor powered speakers to make it a real beach
blaster. add solar panels for hours of good clean sounding entertainment.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
A S Goh

Hi All
Thanks for the respond
In mod, people replace with better caps to get better sound. Switching PS is
cheap and inferior when compared to normal PS with trans, that is what I
understand.
People mod Marantz 63 to improve the sound.
There is nothing wrong with my player. Just trying to make it sound like a
audiophile equipment.
There are shops doing mod on this player. One shop in Malaysia call Octave.
I am trying to DIY
"TimPerry" wrote in message

"A S Goh" wrote in message
Hi rat

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it

possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355
Thanks

Goh

measure the existing power supply voltages and replace with batteries for
pure ripple free DC. add Anchor powered speakers to make it a real beach
blaster. add solar panels for hours of good clean sounding entertainment.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:49:09 +0800, "A S Goh"
wrote:

In mod, people replace with better caps to get better sound. Switching PS is
cheap and inferior when compared to normal PS with trans, that is what I
understand.
People mod Marantz 63 to improve the sound.
There is nothing wrong with my player. Just trying to make it sound like a
audiophile equipment.
There are shops doing mod on this player. One shop in Malaysia call Octave.
I am trying to DIY

I really wouldn't bother. Much (most?) audiophile opinion is
bull****.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"A S Goh" wrote ...
Thanks for the respond
In mod, people replace with better caps

We are talking about the POWER SUPPLY, right?
And a switching supply at that. Do these people know
that switching supplies require special low-ESR
capacitors in order to operate safely and properly?

to get better sound.

Only in their imaginations. A properly filtered
power supply will be as stable and clean as a big
battery and will have no effect, positive or negative
on "the sound".

Switching PS is cheap and inferior when compared to
normal PS with trans, that is what I understand.

You have been hanging around with those people your
parents/parole officer warned you about. A great many
pieces of equipment (likely including the equipment
used to record the music you are playing back) uses
switchmode power supplies. "Normal" linear PS
are becoming as extinct as black vinyl LP records.

People mod Marantz 63 to improve the sound.
There is nothing wrong with my player. Just trying
to make it sound like a audiophile equipment.

Spend your money where it counts. The single most
likely place you will hear an improvement from more
investment is your speakers.

There are shops doing mod on this player. One
shop in Malaysia call Octave. I am trying to DIY

Recommend becoming a shop yourself and bilking
others out of their money. Then use your riches to
buy good speakers for yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

"A S Goh" wrote in message
Hi All
Thanks for the respond
In mod, people replace with better caps to get better sound. Switching PS

is
cheap and inferior when compared to normal PS with trans, that is what I
understand.
People mod Marantz 63 to improve the sound.
There is nothing wrong with my player. Just trying to make it sound like a
audiophile equipment.
There are shops doing mod on this player. One shop in Malaysia call

Octave.
I am trying to DIY

good luck, be sure to use oxygen free wire, silver solder, and only the
finest components to modify your unit which sells for $100 USD.
let us know if you get any measurable improvement.

"TimPerry" wrote in message

"A S Goh" wrote in message
Hi rat

How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it

possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355
Thanks

Goh

measure the existing power supply voltages and replace with batteries

for
pure ripple free DC. add Anchor powered speakers to make it a real

beach
blaster. add solar panels for hours of good clean sounding

entertainment.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Old Fangled

"A S Goh" wrote in
:

In mod, people replace with better caps to get better sound. Switching
PS is cheap and inferior when compared to normal PS with trans, that
is what I understand.

You understand incorrectly. A power supply isn't inferior if it does its
intended job correctly.

People mod Marantz 63 to improve the sound.

Hoo boy -- you have been hanging out with the lunatic fringe. These are
the same people that insist the sound is improved by special bricks to
place on/under your CD player, wooden replacement knobs to control "bad
vibrations", and special clocks to "condition" your power supply. That
type of audiophile subscribes to pseudo-science at its worst.

There is nothing wrong with my player. Just trying to make it sound
like a audiophile equipment.

Then just lie and tell your audiophile buddies that you already had it
done. They will hear the improvement (try this if you don't believe me).

There are shops doing mod on this player. One shop in Malaysia call
Octave. I am trying to DIY

If you want real "audiophile sound", then look at getting better speakers
and/or improving the acoustics in your listening room. Your CD player
isn't the problem.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jack

"
How can I improve the switching power supply of a cd player? Is it

possible
to replace with a normal power supply? My player is a Pioneer DV-355
Thanks

Modding an SMPS is not a trivial task -- the ESR of the output filter
capacitors affect the stability of the feedback (error control) loop -- you
can make a decent supply awful if you use caps with a different ESR from
those originally specified.