Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jerry Barnes

Default Scott Reams' reaction to Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference

It was a nice, warm and sunny morning on June 23, 2003, for a young,
bristling Scott Millhouse Reams.

Scott was feeling pretty good about himself and thought, "Finally, this
is the year Scott Reams Water Daws goes from a garage-run, Internet
clone maker into Reams Frozen Daws Inc. listed on NASDAQ!"

For Scott Reams, times were changing. He was the head geek in his home
favorite Sonar newsgroup. He felt loved and needed there. He
single-handedly converted 90% of the group into believing AMD was the
way to go with Sonar.

By selling his AMD machines at Intel prices, Scott was able to pad his
margin on the 50 or so computers he sold.

"I'm just one benchmark away..." Scott would often think, "One benchmark
away from the big time!"

All his other goals realized - making people believe PACE was a company
owned by a poisoned dwarf, conquering RAP's Fletcher with the help of
his Sonar followers and trolls, witnessing the exit of Emagic from the
PC world and the conversion to Sonar of his childhood idol, Ted Perlman.

He was just one benchmark away from securing his summer orders and he
felt the night before he had just achieved it.

"This benchmark here shows that the AMD will be 2% faster, 5% of the
time, when used in conjunction with my water cooling, Windows SP1 and a
Logitech 5 button mouse!"

Scott bristled at the possibilities, "Today the Sonar group, tomorrow
the world!"

Scott turned on his computer that fateful morning and read his email.

"Hmm, a link to Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference. I'll check it
out for a few minutes. That way I can rip on Apple and act like I know
what I'm talking about, " Scott thought to himself.

It wasn't pretty.

Scott learned that a G5 could run over 1000 24 bit stereo voices.
Scott's benchmarks never even came close to that! He also learned that
1600 bands of EQ could be had at only 25% processor usage. Scott's
dreams of Reams Frozen Daws Inc. were crashing before his very eyes.

Click on the link to see a picture of Scott Reams taken on 6/23/03 after
he watched the Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference:

http://www.thinkbigdesigns.com/justin/Suicide.jpg