Mark Shaw

Default Wanted: opinions on audio equipment

Where's a good place to post a query for opinions on audio
components, specifically large-capacity CD changers?

Thanks!

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"Books... stick egg-beaters in your head and make you think.... They'll
Robert Morein

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Where's a good place to post a query for opinions on audio
components, specifically large-capacity CD changers?

Thanks!

I think most people on this group consider these devices to be strictly
utilitarian.
Oddly, I would suggest rec.audio.marketplace.

Mark Shaw

Robert Morein wrote:
"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Where's a good place to post a query for opinions on audio
components, specifically large-capacity CD changers?

Thanks!

I think most people on this group consider these devices to be strictly
utilitarian.

Meaning they're pretty much all the same? Not really; or at
least I hope not -- the one I have now has no capability to
shuffle-play by disk (rather than by track), and that's what
my query is. It seems like such an obvious feature, yet I
can't locate a model that has it.

Oddly, I would suggest rec.audio.marketplace.

Thanks -- I've posted my query there.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"Books... stick egg-beaters in your head and make you think.... They'll
shape a personal philosophy that lasts a lifetime." Rob "Acidman" Smith
normanstrong

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:
"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Where's a good place to post a query for opinions on audio
components, specifically large-capacity CD changers?

Thanks!

I think most people on this group consider these devices to be

strictly
utilitarian.

Meaning they're pretty much all the same? Not really; or at
least I hope not -- the one I have now has no capability to
shuffle-play by disk (rather than by track), and that's what
my query is. It seems like such an obvious feature, yet I
can't locate a model that has it.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a jukebox changer
that will shuffle both disc and track, so that all the tracks on all
the discs are played once in random order. If that is what you're
looking for, forget it. I doubt that ANY such player is on the
market.

The first problem would be to keep track of all the songs in the
player (since this is a shuffle play.) Then there is the delay for
disc change, which is much longer than for track change. I imagine
this would be exasperating to most users.

Besides, why would you want to play any selection in the jukebox in a
perfectly random fashion? It doesn't sound to me like a good way to
build a playlist.

Norm Strong

MaxH

normanstrong wrote:

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:
"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

My Pioneer does this... it's also sitting empty under the stairs, I still
can't believe I made such an impulse buy.... that changer seemed to take
all the fun out of listening to music, and I've basically abandoned it. I
find it much easier to just grab a CD and put it on, than to punch in a
number, look up the cover in a book, etc. I think he means he wants it
to play random discs though, not tracks.. and this is a feature my
Pioneer lacked.

Besides, why would you want to play any selection in the jukebox in a
perfectly random fashion? It doesn't sound to me like a good way to
build a playlist.

Norm Strong

Mark Shaw

MaxH wrote:
I think he means he wants it
to play random discs though, not tracks.. and this is a feature my
Pioneer lacked.

Exactly. This seems so freakin' BASIC to me. What are these
designers thinking?

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"Books... stick egg-beaters in your head and make you think.... They'll
shape a personal philosophy that lasts a lifetime." Rob "Acidman" Smith
Arny Krueger

MaxH wrote:

My Pioneer does this... it's also sitting empty under the stairs, I
still can't believe I made such an impulse buy.... that changer
seemed to take all the fun out of listening to music, and I've
basically abandoned it. I find it much easier to just grab a CD and
put it on, than to punch in a number, look up the cover in a book,
etc. I think he means he wants it to play random discs though, not
tracks.. and this is a feature my Pioneer lacked.

One more reason why more than 6 mllion hard drive based portable players
have been sold in the past year.

Mark Shaw

normanstrong wrote:
"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Meaning they're pretty much all the same? Not really; or at
least I hope not -- the one I have now has no capability to
shuffle-play by disk (rather than by track), and that's what
my query is. It seems like such an obvious feature, yet I
can't locate a model that has it.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a jukebox changer
that will shuffle both disc and track, so that all the tracks on all
the discs are played once in random order.

No. I want the changer to 1. choose a disk at random, 2. play
that disk all the way through (i.e. all tracks on the chosen
disk, in order), 3. choose another disk at random, and so on.

It makes little sense to me to hear a cut from Beethoven's 9th
followed immediately by one from Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Or,
for that matter, one from Dark Side of the Moon right after one
from Physical Graffiti.

Anyway, the Sony I have now will not do this, and since it's in
the shop and I may have to replace it I'm looking for one that
does. No other high-capacity Sony will do it either (I've
confirmed this with them).

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"Books... stick egg-beaters in your head and make you think.... They'll
shape a personal philosophy that lasts a lifetime." Rob "Acidman" Smith
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

"normanstrong" wrote in message

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:
"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Where's a good place to post a query for opinions on audio
components, specifically large-capacity CD changers?

Thanks!

I think most people on this group consider these devices to be

strictly
utilitarian.

Meaning they're pretty much all the same? Not really; or at
least I hope not -- the one I have now has no capability to
shuffle-play by disk (rather than by track), and that's what
my query is. It seems like such an obvious feature, yet I
can't locate a model that has it.

If I understand you correctly,

No you don't.

Cheers,

MvBB

Mark Shaw

MaxH wrote:
try www.audioreview.com and see if there's any reviews

Thanks.

Otherwise try the websites of the companies who make these units.

Working on that. They're so bloody hard to negotiate, though
- particularly Sony's. What a piece of crap!