Looking for crossover or solution to problem

Old July 2nd 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.audio.car
DManzaluni

Default Looking for crossover or solution to problem

I have a car with an 8 or 10 speaker setup. It seems to have had an
Alpine head unit original with eight speaker outputs (I dont know
which model)

Someone has replaced the head unit and put a gigantic Diamond Audio
amp in the trunk which seems to feed into as many as two squakers, one
in each door.

Is there anything I can do to try to ameliorate this and get the two
channel amp to power all speakers at once please? Is there such a
thing as an 8 speaker cross-over out there which i can install between
the amp and the speakers?
Old July 6th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_]

In article >, DManzaluni > wrote:
>I have a car with an 8 or 10 speaker setup. It seems to have had an
>Alpine head unit original with eight speaker outputs (I dont know
>which model)
>
>Someone has replaced the head unit and put a gigantic Diamond Audio
>amp in the trunk which seems to feed into as many as two squakers, one
>in each door.

As many as two? This is confusing.

>Is there anything I can do to try to ameliorate this and get the two
>channel amp to power all speakers at once please? Is there such a
>thing as an 8 speaker cross-over out there which i can install between
>the amp and the speakers?

I never saw one. You could begin by describing all speakers.
You could instal crossover caps here and there, and parallel
most drivers.

greg

Old July 6th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

I think we need clarity all around on this one...

The car was manufactured with an 8-10 speaker setup, but someone
bypassed all that to power two speakers? That doesn't sound right...
An Alpine HU with 8 speaker outputs - really? Replaced the HU with
what? When you say 8 speakers, do you mean components (woofer and
separate tweeter)?

In order to do any of this yourself, you're going to have to know more
about the setup than you're letting on. Perhaps you wrote this in a
hurry, but I think more likely that you're going to need professional
assistance on this one.

~Mister.Lull

Old July 7th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.audio.car
DManzaluni

On Jul 6, 6:08*pm, "Mister.Lull" > wrote:
> I think we need clarity all around on this one...
>
> The car was manufactured with an 8-10 speaker setup, but someone
> bypassed all that to power two speakers? *That doesn't sound right...
> An Alpine HU with 8 speaker outputs - really? *Replaced the HU with
> what? *When you say 8 speakers, do you mean components (woofer and
> separate tweeter)?
>
> In order to do any of this yourself, you're going to have to know more
> about the setup than you're letting on. *Perhaps you wrote this in a
> hurry, but I think more likely that you're going to need professional
> assistance on this one.
>
> ~Mister.Lull
>
> On Jul 2, 2:05*pm, DManzaluni > wrote:
>

> > I have a car with an 8 or 10 speaker setup. It seems to have had an
> > Alpine head unit original with eight speaker outputs (I dont know
> > which model)

> > Someone has replaced the head unit and put a gigantic Diamond Audio
> > amp in the trunk which seems to feed into as many as two squakers, one
> > in each door.

> > Is there anything I can do to try to ameliorate this and get the two
> > channel amp to power all speakers at once please? Is there such a
> > thing as an 8 speaker cross-over out there which i can install between
> > the amp and the speakers?- Hide quoted text -

Somehow my message didnt get posted on this today: The rear doors have
a woofer and lower mid range speakers. The front doors have mid range
and upper mid range speakers.(the door speakers may well have cross-
overs in them?) There is a tweeter facing upwards in the outer egdes
of the top of the dashboard. I am told there is an upper tweeter in
the head lining which makes sense as to pointing in the right
direction but to me they look like motion sensors for the alarm.

Some idiot in Queens who left his name on a sticker installed in the
glove compartment some astronomically expensive & extraordinarily
powerful DIamond Audio amp in the trunk which feeds off the outputs
of the new head unit. There are four wires coming off it which seem to
feed into the front door speakers. I spoke to him and he left me in no
doubt that he is the cause of the problem as opposed to being the
solution. Anyway the fader doesnt fade and the balance doesn't
balance. So I wondered whether I can get a crossover to take the
output from the amp and direct it in the correct quantities/
frequencies to the speakers? So may be I can put a three way crossover
in between the amp and the speakers? There are RCA plugs for cross-
overs which i assume are designed to feed out line level signal to
external mid-range amps??

Put another way, is there anyone in NYC who can make sense out of all
this please? Preferably without selling me any new units to take up
even more space in the trunk. When I look behind the head unit, I can
see lots of cut speaker wires which dont go anywhere.
Old July 8th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_]

> [...]

>feed into the front door speakers. I spoke to him and he left me in no
>doubt that he is the cause of the problem as opposed to being the
>solution. Anyway the fader doesnt fade and the balance doesn't
>balance. So I wondered whether I can get a crossover to take the
>output from the amp and direct it in the correct quantities/
>frequencies to the speakers? So may be I can put a three way crossover
>in between the amp and the speakers? There are RCA plugs for cross-
>overs which i assume are designed to feed out line level signal to
>external mid-range amps??
>
>Put another way, is there anyone in NYC who can make sense out of all
>this please? Preferably without selling me any new units to take up
>even more space in the trunk. When I look behind the head unit, I can
>see lots of cut speaker wires which dont go anywhere.

Sounds like you need a setup from scratch, except some of that stuff is installed.
The person needs to go through ALL the wiring and possible passive
crossovers.

greg