Ipod to 1958s car radio

Old April 3rd 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.audio.car
JayJay

Default Ipod to 1958s car radio

Is it available any reasonable way to connect Ipod or CD-player to old
Imperial 1958s Am-radio? One possible way is AM-transmitter, for example
Gizmo, but is there too much interference inside the car? Also the antenna
may be difficult to hide. I suppose there should be many classic car owners
with same problem.

JJ

Old April 3rd 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

Hi JJ,

I suppose if you could find an AM Transmitter, that would be the
easiest way to go. The quality of the music would be the same as any
normal AM radio transmission. There are, however, other options
depending on how invasive you care to be. I understand that since you
have a classic, you might not want to touch anything - but maybe you'd
be open to some changes where they couldn't be seen/detected.

It is possible to install a new deck somewhere besides the dashboard.
If you get a deck with a detachable face, you could use a ribbon cable
from any PC to wire the faceplate away from the actual deck...

I've always thought this would be a great solution for a collector's
vehicle. Let's say you install the new deck (CD player or Digital
Media Receiver) under the driver's seat. If you wire the faceplate
remotely, you could clip it just about any place you'd like (on the
door, on the visor, in a center console). There are several iPod
compatible head units available for this, and there are quite a few
iPod docks that could fit into a cupholder and require no
"installation." If you're up for replacing the speakers, then there's
no reason why your classic car couldn't keep it's looks while having
an excellent new sound system!

Just a thought or two,
~Mister.Lull

Old April 4th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Lull, as usual, has some very good ideas. An AM transmitter was the first
thing that went through my mind as well. However, the SQ will be no better
than the SQ of a very good AM station.

Another possible option is to forgo ANY trpe of head unit whatsoever. Buy
buying, let's say, a four channel amplifier you could connect your iPod
directly to the amp, from there, the amplifier would drive the speakers.
This would certainly be a much better sounding option than going the AM
transmitter route as an outboard amplifier would make even old factory
speakers sound better than a very old (and no doubt very underpowered)
factory radio.

You would simply control all volume, track and tone controls directly from
your iPod. The only trick to this is that all car audio amplifiers have an
input (along with positive and negative) called a REM input that connects a
single wire to the amplifier from the radio. When the radio is on, 12 volts
are sent across this REM wire which tells the amplifier to turn on, the
reason for this is that a properly installed outboard amplifier is connected
directly to the battery and would thefore be always "on" if not for this REM
wire telling it to turn off when the head unit is off. You, however, can
get around this by simply connecting the car's ignition wire, or cigarrette
lighter wire (any wire that becomes hot when the key is turned) to this REM
input. Sure, you're amps will always be "on" when the key is turned
(whether music is playing or not), but the current drain is so small as not
to matter.

Actually, the REALLY tricky part in a scenario like the one I suggest is how
to incorporate this into your existing system. If you connect both the
factory radio AND the amplifier to the speakers, there's a chance some of
the power fom the amp will back-feed into your radio, possibly causing it
damage.

I guess an AM transmitter really is you best option, OR, as Lull suggests,
getting a new aftermarket deck and hiding it somewhere like the glove
compartment. I recommend taking your car to a reputable installation shop
and asking their opinions. Without intimate details about the car it is
difficult to recommend options, but a shop having looked your car over,
could probably make some good suggestions.

MOSFET

Old May 4th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.audio.car
gizmojohn