Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Brian Parker

Default Looking at Mirage, what is comparable?

In the very near future, I will be in the market for:

1) An Amp / Receiver
2) Speakers for the living room and kitchen

To level-set - I'm no audiophile but I'm not tin earred. I enjoy a
large variation of music at all volume levels and whatever solution I go
with needs to be able to do a good job of reproducing music at all
frequencies from the very lows to the piercing highs.

The solution also needs to be a quality home theater system for 5.1
surround. We will soon have some sort of LCD or Plasma TV in the
entertainment center.

The setup I'm currently looking at is:

1) Denon deck ( can't remember the model at the moment ) 7.1 2-room
dual-source, etc.
2) Mirage Omnisat Center channel
3) 2 x Mirage Omnisat Floor Speakers
4) 2 x Mirage Omnisat Sattelite Speakers
5) Mirage 10" or 12" Sub

that's for the living room.

For the other 2 channels, I'm looking at some ceiling mounted speakers
for the kitchen. I don't have the make / models handy, and these really
aren't that important to me right now - just keep in mind I need those
channels reserved.

I think I need a deck that does 7.1 with dual source so I can send a
different signal to the kitchen than I'm sending to the living room.

Not counting the 2 kitchen speakers, I'm looking at $2k - $2.5k not
counting wiring for the items above, but I'd like to find another
solution that gives me close to the same quality for a little less.
I've listened to the Mirage's and am happy with the quality of sound the
deliver.

We currently have a DVR, a DVD/VCR combo unit, and a computer just
serving MP3s in our entertainment center which will be used as audio inputs.

What suggestions do you have for spending a little less but not ending
up with junk?

Thanks,
-BEP
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Brian Parker wrote:
In the very near future, I will be in the market for:

1) An Amp / Receiver
2) Speakers for the living room and kitchen

To level-set - I'm no audiophile but I'm not tin earred. I enjoy a
large variation of music at all volume levels and whatever solution I go
with needs to be able to do a good job of reproducing music at all
frequencies from the very lows to the piercing highs.

The solution also needs to be a quality home theater system for 5.1
surround. We will soon have some sort of LCD or Plasma TV in the
entertainment center.

The setup I'm currently looking at is:

1) Denon deck ( can't remember the model at the moment ) 7.1 2-room
dual-source, etc.

I think you meant to say Denon "receiver," not "deck."

2) Mirage Omnisat Center channel
3) 2 x Mirage Omnisat Floor Speakers
4) 2 x Mirage Omnisat Sattelite Speakers
5) Mirage 10" or 12" Sub

that's for the living room.

For the other 2 channels, I'm looking at some ceiling mounted speakers
for the kitchen. I don't have the make / models handy, and these really
aren't that important to me right now - just keep in mind I need those
channels reserved.

I think I need a deck that does 7.1 with dual source so I can send a
different signal to the kitchen than I'm sending to the living room.

Sorry, I'm not up to date on receivers with that feature. Suggest you
shop around locally.

BTW, you may find it simpler to have a separate receiver for the
kitchen. You can buy a new stereo receiver these days for $100.

Not counting the 2 kitchen speakers, I'm looking at $2k - $2.5k not
counting wiring for the items above, but I'd like to find another
solution that gives me close to the same quality for a little less.
I've listened to the Mirage's and am happy with the quality of sound the
deliver.

I think if you're happy with the Mirage speakers, you should get those.
If you get something cheaper and you like the sound less, you'll wish
you'd spent the $$$ for the Mirage speakers.

We currently have a DVR, a DVD/VCR combo unit, and a computer just
serving MP3s in our entertainment center which will be used as audio inputs.

I think any 7.1 receiver will have plenty of inputs. Check before you
buy.

What suggestions do you have for spending a little less but not ending
up with junk?

Athena (sold via Best Buys stores) and Energy speakers are from the
same folks that design and make Mirage. Athena and Energy are also good
brands. But of these brands, only Mirage makes speakers with the "omni"
design.

A possible alternative would be to look for used speakers on eBay. But
if you've got a local dealer who offers Mirage and you like the sound,
I suggest you go ahead and buy the Mirages at the local dealer.

Thanks,
-BEP

PC interface comparable to Metric Halo ULN-2? Rale Pro Audio 12 November 22nd 04 02:39 AM
PC interface comparable to Metric Halo ULN-2? Rale Pro Audio 0 November 20th 04 06:22 AM
WTB: Mirage 750's EKalm Marketplace 0 June 27th 04 05:02 AM
KEF 2002.5 V.S. Mirage OmniSat bino Audio Opinions 0 December 24th 03 01:52 PM
Mirage SM-1 Speaker System, new foam! Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 July 1st 03 01:39 PM