georgeh

Default Dissing the Funk Brothers

Did anyone notice the letter in the Nov. issue of Mix that totally dissed
The Funk Bros? The writer claims to be a good friend of the engineer
who did the post for the soundtrack album (Standing In The Shadows).
The engineer supposedly told the writer that the tracks were awful and a
real pain to work with. The writer shrugs it off saying "let's face it,
these guys are way past their prime, in ill health" then singles out
Joe Messina for having "not played at all since the 70s".

Personally I found this letter to be very offensive. While I don't
doubt that there was sweetening done to the orig tracks, after all
show me a "live" album where this ISN'T done today, I cannot imagine
that these guys have completely lost their ability to play. Based
on the comments I've read here in RAP form those who have worked
with some of The Funks in recent yrs, I find the letter maddening.

Then to single out Joe M ... one of the true jazz legends of Detroit
and reputedly one of the nicest guys ever in the biz ... really seals
it. And while Joe *did* stop playing in the 70s, I've heard
(at the risk of acting like the writer by passing hearsay), from some
local jazzmen that Joe had started jamming again several yrs ago
(before SITSOM) and had quickly regained much of his old form.

I'm hoping that those who have worked with these gentlemen will answer
the hatchet job in this letter. It really peed me off.

BLCKOUT420

I saw the Funk Bros. live in April.The best show I've ever seen. You think
these guys can't play anymore? Get Freakin real...
BLCKOUT420

And I took my teenage daughter with me when I saw them. She was absolutely
blown away.
Brian

(georgeh) wrote in message ...
[...]

And at the end of the day these guys will own a major spot in rock and
roll, and soul history...and he'll be an engineer. I'll take half of
Babbit's best bass playing anyday.

Mike Caffrey

In article ,
(georgeh) wrote:

[...]

The guy who engineered the tracks, and I think was involved in making the
movie too, posted about a rebuilt Neve board he wanter to sell here. Many
people had issues with his style and his claims about the board, in
particular Fletcher and a lot of feathers got ruffled. I ahve no idea what
the tracks were acutally like, and two incidences of feather ruffling
isn't even for a scientifically accurate sample, but if there were a
pattern, this might fit it.

www.monsterisland.com
Dave Martin

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

This is the Internet. Anyone can work with anyone, and probalby has
said so at one time or another.

Sure. I've recorded Jack Ashford and Bob Babbitt in the last couple of
months - At what they do, neither is past their prime...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Harvey Gerst

"Dave Martin" wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote:

This is the Internet. Anyone can work with anyone, and probalby has
said so at one time or another.

Sure. I've recorded Jack Ashford and Bob Babbitt in the last couple of
months - At what they do, neither is past their prime...

They're both among my newly discovered heros.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Ricky W. Hunt

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

" . . . Ted's herculean effort delivered something worth from the Funk
Brothers out of sone very marginal material. . . "

Now we all know that these days, you can about drop a guitar, a bass,
and a drum kit down a flight of stairs (one at a time, to give the
poor engineer a fighting chance) with a recorder running and a good

Also, don't forget how much a tracking engineer can screw up an otherwise
great performance. I think we've all been given tracks that were played OK
but were recorded crappily and had to do a lot of work.

LeBaron & Alrich

Dave Martin wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote...

This is the Internet. Anyone can work with anyone, and probalby has
said so at one time or another.

Sure. I've recorded Jack Ashford and Bob Babbitt in the last couple of
months - At what they do, neither is past their prime...

Yeak, okay, but what do _you_ know??...

--
ha

Dave Martin

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
.. .

Yeak, okay, but what do _you_ know??...

--

I don't have to know anything - this is Usenet. All I have to do is CLAIM I
know everything...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

LeBaron & Alrich

x-no archive: yes

Dave Martin wrote:

I don't have to know anything - this is Usenet. All I have to do is CLAIM I
know everything...

In Usenet there are no claim checks.

--
ha