Mark Gifford

Default Excessive handling noise in SM-57?

I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it has
excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older Unidyne
III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and couldn't
find anything obvious wrong with it.

Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat emptor?
Thanks in Advance,

Mark

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 7 Dec 2004 12:18:48 -0800, Mark Gifford wrote:
I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it has
excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older Unidyne
III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and couldn't
find anything obvious wrong with it.

Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat emptor?
Thanks in Advance,

Does the capsule removed from the body still have the handling noise?
See if perhaps the RTV hasn't tried out and become ineffective at
limiting noise.

Capsule? I don't think there are any parts that you can get at without
trashing the thing, but I may simply be misremembering.

Arny Krueger

"Mark Gifford" wrote in message
ups.com
I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it has
excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older
Unidyne III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and
couldn't find anything obvious wrong with it.

Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat emptor?
Thanks in Advance,

Let's put it this way. I inherited a church system that was wall-to-wall
SM57s. Handling noise was one big reason why they were replaced with CAD
95s.

Mark Gifford

wrote:
I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it

has
excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older

Unidyne
III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and

couldn't
find anything obvious wrong with it.

Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat

emptor?
Thanks in Advance,

Does the capsule removed from the body still have the handling noise?
See if perhaps the RTV hasn't tried out and become ineffective at
limiting noise.

Capsule? I don't think there are any parts that you can get at

without
trashing the thing, but I may simply be misremembering.

Yup, the capsule itself is noisy - rubbery stuff is fine.
Thanks for the replY!

Mark

Mark Gifford

This is WAY out of control - easily 2-3X a normal SM-57. I had 5 57s up
for a live show, including this one, and couldn't even walk on the
stage w/o very loud rumbling. Forget about it when I tried to adjust
the stand!

Guess I could make a lamp out of it...

Mark

Jeff Snider

yeah, a very noisy one.... ~~8^)---

Guess I could make a lamp out of it...

Mark

Jeff Snider

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
---- Woody Allen
DeserTBoB

On 7 Dec 2004 23:12:26 -0800, "Mark Gifford"
wrote:

Guess I could make a lamp out of it... snip

Good recycling for old 57s: alternative hammer in tool box. Also a
good alternative use for active 57s and 58s.

dB