islander

Default Tone generators

Several decades back I was involved in the specs for a new line of
Audio consoles that our Network was buying. The had a tone generator
module designed in with a range of frequencies. I recommended they
add 440HZ and they did.

Is this still seen in some of the newer consoles today?

cheers
Marv

Scott Dorsey

islander wrote:
Several decades back I was involved in the specs for a new line of
Audio consoles that our Network was buying. The had a tone generator
module designed in with a range of frequencies. I recommended they
add 440HZ and they did.

Is this still seen in some of the newer consoles today?

It is on too few consoles. On the small consoles, it's usually left off
because nobody calibrates anything any longer. On the large consoles it
is usually an optional module, and occasionally you'll see folks order it
if they are using analogue tape. But it is FAR too often left off.

I've never seen one with a 440 tone but it would be a really nice thing to
have, come to think of it.

Bob Smith

"Scott Dorsey" wrote:
islander wrote:
Several decades back I was involved in the specs for a new line of
Audio consoles that our Network was buying. The had a tone generator
module designed in with a range of frequencies. I recommended they
add 440HZ and they did.

Is this still seen in some of the newer consoles today?

It is on too few consoles. On the small consoles, it's usually left off
because nobody calibrates anything any longer. On the large consoles it
is usually an optional module, and occasionally you'll see folks order it
if they are using analogue tape. But it is FAR too often left off.

I've never seen one with a 440 tone but it would be a really nice thing to
have, come to think of it.

440 Hz is far more pleasant on the ears while calibrating with speakers
engaged than 1KHz, even when wearing hearing protection.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

TonyP

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I've never seen one with a 440 tone but it would be a really nice thing to
have, come to think of it.

Mine only has 1kHz too, but the test CD I made for set-up, has 1kHz, 440 Hz,
white noise, pink noise etc.
Cheaper than buying a new console :-)

TonyP.

normanstrong

islander wrote:
Several decades back I was involved in the specs for a new line of
Audio consoles that our Network was buying. The had a tone

generator
module designed in with a range of frequencies. I recommended they
add 440HZ and they did.

Is this still seen in some of the newer consoles today?

It is on too few consoles. On the small consoles, it's usually left

off
because nobody calibrates anything any longer. On the large

consoles it
is usually an optional module, and occasionally you'll see folks

order it
if they are using analogue tape. But it is FAR too often left off.

I've never seen one with a 440 tone but it would be a really nice

thing to
have, come to think of it.

There should be a complete tuning meter built in, just like the ones
you can buy for about $30. Adding it to a console would be remarkably
cheap since mikes, power supplies and packaging are already there.

Norm Strong

Raymond

Carey wrote
"OK everybody, let's tune to the console..."

Yuk Yuk, but I prefer to use my Peterson strobe.
Raymond

Carey wrote
"OK everybody, let's tune to the console..."

Yuk Yuk, but I prefer to use my Peterson strobe.
Rob Reedijk

islander wrote:
Several decades back I was involved in the specs for a new line of
Audio consoles that our Network was buying. The had a tone generator
module designed in with a range of frequencies. I recommended they
add 440HZ and they did.

Is this still seen in some of the newer consoles today?

The Tascam DA38s had this. (yes a deck and not a board). Very convenient.
And now you can get one for oh...about the price of a new guitar tuner.

Rob R.

Kurt Albershardt

DeserTBoB wrote:

Note: Don't try
sychronizing anything by cell phone. Most cell phone operators run
dirtbag networks with free running synchronization and thus, have no
traceability to a credible standard.

Unless it's a CDMA network. They all have easily recoverable stratum one clocks broadcasting 24x7x365.

e.g. Symmetricom TimeSource 2700 and others...

Oh, and of course--no dialtone on cellphones.
DeserTBoB

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:19:22 -0800, Kurt Albershardt
wrote:

Unless it's a CDMA network. They all have easily recoverable stratum one clocks broadcasting 24x7x365.snip

True...TDMA's a different story, but it's starting to go
away...finally.

Oh, and of course--no dialtone on cellphones. snip

True...but don't try sending something on TDMA and expect it to arrive
at the distant end right on frequency. We tried this a couple of
years ago, just for ****s and giggles, using two old but rock solid
Northwestern 10X2E12 counters long-term calibrated to WWV with good
TCXOs. Sure enough, 1 KHz transmitted wound up being 1012 one time,
994 another. Whether it was just free-running clocking or a mess of
errors due to traffic loading, I do not know, nor do I really care,
since i hate cell phones with a passion, anyway. But we do know the
counters were again in complete agreement after we did that test. So
obviously SOMETHING was amiss.

Seen today at the doctor's office: Big signs on wall: DO NOT USE CELL
PHONES IN HOSPITAL! Right below one, some broad was making call after
call after call, and sure enough, a duty nurse came out threatening to
throw her out. Evidently, some vitals monitors in the clinic were
going berserk for no apparent reason. When shown the sign she was
sitting directly under, her response was, "You think that applies to
ME?" I had to chime in, "Who the F___do you THINK it applies to,
biotch??"

She left.

dB

Is there a plug-in which can find a base tone frequency in a sound? bj Pro Audio 6 November 3rd 04 06:41 PM
Denon Receiver Tone Defeat Question RobH Tech 0 November 8th 03 02:19 PM
Question regarding "tone defeat" button on Denon receiver RobH Audio Opinions 0 November 8th 03 01:51 PM
TONE DEAF TJ Hertz Pro Audio 44 August 8th 03 04:32 PM
Any interest in buying a test tone CD? Jason Whorton Car Audio 0 July 11th 03 08:48 AM