Andy Milk

Default any suggestions on using soundboard material for soundproofing?

I just bought some soundboard last night at Home Depot and I had it
cut to fit my windows in my rehearsal/recording room. I nailed it to
the frame of the window, and that seems to work fine. I'm going to
cover it with drapes so it looks a little better, and so that it
doesn't rub off on someone who bumps into it. This stuff is messy.

I had some extra pieces that I wanted to put on either side of the
drums, against the walls (the drums are in the corner of the room.) I
placed them against the wall and on the floor, but they're very messy,
and it's rubbing off on pretty much anything I put it around.

Also, on one of the walls, there's a forced-water heater, so I put a
piece of particle board in between the soundboard and the heater. I'm
a little nervous that the soundboard is going to catch on fire and
burn my place down. So I have a few questions:

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can use the soundboard better, or
how I can stop it from being so messy?

Is it very flammable? Do I really need to keep it far away from my
heater?

I read somewhere that I could glue the soundboard to a piece of
plywood, and then glue carpeting to the plywood, and staple the
overlapping ends of the carpet to the plywood, and then it would be
sort of sealed inside.

How does that sound?

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
Ethan Winer

Andy,

I just bought some soundboard last night at Home Depot

I'm not sure what you mean by "sound board," but it's unlikely Home Depot
carries anything that's useful as either acoustic treatment or sound
isolation. Note that these are very different things. Acoustic treatment
aims to improve the sound within a room, but does nothing to prevent sound
from travelling between rooms.

Have a look at the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

It explains these issues in detail.

--Ethan

J&L

respectfully dissagree

acoustics ,nice hard wood floors at home depot...

Also nothing better then cement for isolation also at home depot...

Regards

Leon

I'm not sure what you mean by "sound board," but it's unlikely Home Depot
carries anything that's useful as either acoustic treatment or sound
isolation.

Twist Turner

Some Home depots do carry the dark 4 x 8 celotex stuff that is made of
compressed dark cardboardy particales, it seems to be exactly the same
stuff sold at 5x's the price as acoustical sound board.

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70