Posted to rec.audio.tech
Good Music Good Music is offline

Default Question: Acceptable range of headphone impedances for iPod amps?

Question:

Anyone know the acceptable range of headphone impedances for modern personal
iPod-type MP3 players & walkman-type CD players?

My understanding (not positive) is modern headphones range about 24 ohms up
to 400 ohms for pro DJ models.

I want use 1970 stereo headphones which are 8 ohms impedance, and want to
know just how reckless that would be, or if that's close to within the
acceptable range.

Thanks,
- Goodmusic

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

You should be using headphones of greater than 40 ohms for your iPod
player. The higher the impedance, the better for it. If you use the 8
ohm headphones, most likely the sound will be very low in volume from
being loaded. Also, the batteries will probably run down much quicker.

--

Jerry G.

"Good Music" wrote in message
Question:

Anyone know the acceptable range of headphone impedances for modern
personal
iPod-type MP3 players & walkman-type CD players?

My understanding (not positive) is modern headphones range about 24 ohms
up
to 400 ohms for pro DJ models.

I want use 1970 stereo headphones which are 8 ohms impedance, and want
know just how reckless that would be, or if that's close to within the
acceptable range.

Thanks,
- Goodmusic

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Jerry G." wrote ...
You should be using headphones of greater than 40 ohms for your iPod
player. The higher the impedance, the better for it. If you use the 8
ohm headphones, most likely the sound will be very low in volume from
being loaded. Also, the batteries will probably run down much quicker.

Some of the more intelligent driver chips might even
interperet 8 ohms as "shorted" and shut down to protect
itself.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Good Music Good Music is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Jerry G." wrote ...
You should be using headphones of greater than 40 ohms for your iPod
player. The higher the impedance, the better for it. If you use the 8
ohm headphones, most likely the sound will be very low in volume from
being loaded. Also, the batteries will probably run down much quicker.

Some of the more intelligent driver chips might even
interperet 8 ohms as "shorted" and shut down to protect
itself.

Thanks all for your responses.

I was going to put an 8 ohm resistor in series with each channel headphone
to bring it up to 16 ohms, though that would halve the voltage (& presumably
volume) the phones would get, but now I'm worried even 16 ohms may be too
low...

I've heard of "impedance matching" but don't really know anything about it,
I'm posting a new query asking how to make an impedance matching headphone
adapter (hopefully can make it just using a small audio transformer
installed in each of the large old-style earcups...)

Regards,
- Goodmusic

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Good Music wrote:

I'm posting a new query asking how to make an impedance matching headphone
adapter (hopefully can make it just using a small audio transformer
installed in each of the large old-style earcups...)

You're wasting your time.

A couple of good quality audio transformers will cost vastly more than a new
pair of headphones.

Look at Sennheiser and Beyer btw.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:53:46 GMT, "Good Music"
wrote:

I was going to put an 8 ohm resistor in series with each channel headphone
to bring it up to 16 ohms, though that would halve the voltage (& presumably
volume) the phones would get, but now I'm worried even 16 ohms may be too
low...

I've heard of "impedance matching" but don't really know anything about it,
I'm posting a new query asking how to make an impedance matching headphone
adapter (hopefully can make it just using a small audio transformer
installed in each of the large old-style earcups...)

Oh, for goodness' sake! Plug them in and try. If they don't sound
good buy different headphones.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

I was going to put an 8 ohm resistor in series with each channel headphone
to bring it up to 16 ohms, though that would halve the voltage (& presumably
volume) the phones would get, but now I'm worried even 16 ohms may be too
low...

I've heard of "impedance matching" but don't really know anything about it,
I'm posting a new query asking how to make an impedance matching headphone
adapter (hopefully can make it just using a small audio transformer
installed in each of the large old-style earcups...)

Oh, for goodness' sake! Plug them in and try. If they don't sound
good buy different headphones.

My thoughts entirely !

The amount of complete and utter drivel any number of ppl have written about
this begs belief !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore"
wrote
in message

wrote:

I was going to put an 8 ohm resistor in series with
each channel headphone to bring it up to 16 ohms,
though that would halve the voltage (& presumably
volume) the phones would get, but now I'm worried even
16 ohms may be too low...

I've heard of "impedance matching" but don't really
know anything about it, I'm posting a new query asking
how to make an impedance matching headphone adapter
(hopefully can make it just using a small audio
transformer installed in each of the large old-style
earcups...)

Oh, for goodness' sake! Plug them in and try. If they
don't sound good buy different headphones.

My thoughts entirely !

The amount of complete and utter drivel any number of ppl
have written about this begs belief !

Probable that the original query was based on some flavor of buyer's
remorse.