Mark Zarella

Default Anybody used this unit?

I thought this looked intruiging. Nice simple design and tons of
features. Comments?

http://www.carsound.com/survey/CSandP_TrafficProRev.pdf

DJ TecThreat

I've never used it, but that definitley looks like a nice unit. I like the
design as well.. very simple layout, user friendly (looks like it would be)
and has a mighty nice feature list.

Never the less, i'd want to check it out first.. but i would buy it.

DJ TecThreat
The Real Threat

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
I thought this looked intruiging. Nice simple design and tons of
features. Comments?

http://www.carsound.com/survey/CSandP_TrafficProRev.pdf

Captain Howdy

In article , Mark Zarella wrote:
I thought this looked intruiging. Nice simple design and tons of
features. Comments?

http://www.carsound.com/survey/CSandP_TrafficProRev.pdf

At a $1000 it's not that great of a buy, for $500 maybe. Let me start off by
saying that I am not a fan of anything that is intergraded, such as this CD
player intergraded with a GPS. It does not play mps files and with an average
of 12 - 16 songs on a CD, the CD loading mechanism will go through lots of
wear. When is fails, and they all do sooner or later your GPS is toast too
since you can't load your maps without it. Not to mention the wear on the
laser unit. I just feel that it's better when some thing does fail, that it's
nice to be left with something.

I have done a quick search on the web and no one seems to mention too much
about the GPS software. Does the unit come with a base map? Also will there
ever be software updates and how much will they cost? What is the GPS
processor speed? If the processor speed is slow you might be waiting a long
while before the GPS calculates your route and/or recalculates your route.
Which brings up the question of will it recalculate your route if you make a
wrong turn?

The 8mb of built-in memory is not enough for long travel. You'll find your
self popping the map CD in and out of the unit on long trips.

The display is not suited for a GPS, its small and dot-matrix.

My conclusion is that you would be better of buying a product such as the
Garmin StreetPilot3 GPS for $650 and spending the other $350 on a decent CD
player. The choice is simple, compare the $650 Garmin StreetPilot3 along with
any $350 CD player to the HK Trafficpro.

Mark Zarella

Nice reply. One of the more interesting parts of this unit, IMO, was the
fact that it was integerated. That goes a long way towards getting rid of
the clutter associated with having different units up there. From a
reliability perspective, that's not such a good feature.

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
In article , Mark Zarella

wrote:
[...]

Captain Howdy

In article , "Mark Zarella" zarellam@seesigfile wrote:
Nice reply. One of the more interesting parts of this unit, IMO, was the
fact that it was integerated. That goes a long way towards getting rid of
the clutter associated with having different units up there. From a
reliability perspective, that's not such a good feature.

The Streetpilot3 is very much clutterless. For DC power it can be hard wired,
with a $20 optional cable. It can run off 6AA batteries, (it does kill them
very fast, 8-10 hours) or it can be powered with the included cigarette
lighter with built-in speaker cable. The Streetpilot3 can be mounted to the
dash using an included quick release mount, The mount has two different
adhesive pads, permanent and temporary. If you do not like the idea of taping
anything to your dash, you can use the included beanbag mount (it does not
slide, even with my driving). Installation and removal time is about 2
minutes, the trade off is that it's not left in your car to be stolen. Also a
bonus is that the Streetpilot3 can be used painlessly in multiple vehicles.