Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mick Cantarella Mick Cantarella is offline

Default Glue for foam for sound-proofing

Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for sound-proofing?
A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he should use. He is
semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for rehearsing in, and have some
foam to put up. Thanks for your help. -Mick
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:08:06 -0500, Mick Cantarella
wrote:

Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for sound-proofing?
A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he should use. He is
semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for rehearsing in, and have some
foam to put up. Thanks for your help. -Mick

You can't soundproof a room with foam. You need rigid, dense walls.
The room-within-a-room technique can be very helpful.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

wrote:

Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for sound-proofing?
A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he should use. He is
semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for rehearsing in, and have some
foam to put up. Thanks for your help. -Mick

You can't soundproof a room with foam. You need rigid, dense walls.
The room-within-a-room technique can be very helpful.

Don is right.

"Sound-proofing" means preventing sound from escaping from an enclosed
area. Foam will simply absorb some of the reflected sound that remains
within the room, but do almost nothing to prevent sound from being
transmitted through the walls.

Take a look at how I sound-proofed my garage to use as a drum practice
room. I used the room-within-a-room technique mentioned above.
http://www.whealy.com/drumming/Soundproofing/index.html

Also, don't use a polyurethane based foam because its a fire hazard. It
will release toxic fumes should it catch fire.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mick Cantarella wrote:
Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for sound-proofing?
A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he should use. He is
semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for rehearsing in, and have some
foam to put up. Thanks for your help. -Mick

What is he putting it up on, and is it going to have to come down someday?

Liquid Nails will hold the stuff up nicely, but it will never, never be
removeable.

Note that using foam for "soundproofing" will be disappointing at best.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for sound-proofing?
A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he should use. He is
semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for rehearsing in, and have some
foam to put up. Thanks for your help. -Mick

Actually, let me reword my advice. Your friend can not rehearse in an
apartment - period. There is no amount of soundproofing that will keep
the neighbours happy. If the apartment is rented, he can expect to be
out on the street inside a month; if he owns it he can expect the
injunctions within that period. He needs to hire a rehearsal room in a
detached building.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Chris Whealy wrote:
Take a look at how I sound-proofed my garage to use as a drum practice
room. I used the room-within-a-room technique mentioned above.
http://www.whealy.com/drumming/Soundproofing/index.html

Nice job! What where the material costs for this project?

Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Boris Lau wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
Take a look at how I sound-proofed my garage to use as a drum
practice room. I used the room-within-a-room technique mentioned above.
http://www.whealy.com/drumming/Soundproofing/index.html

Nice job! What where the material costs for this project?

Just over £1200 ($2400 approx), but then I got the Rockwool at factory
prices and various other bits at trade prices

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Paul is offline

Chris Whealy wrote:
Take a look at how I sound-proofed my garage to use as a drum practice
room. I used the room-within-a-room technique mentioned above.
http://www.whealy.com/drumming/Soundproofing/index.html

Nice description of your project. Just a comment : are you
aware that your bicycle inner tube will deflate over time ?
Do you have provision for pumping it up now and then ?

Paul (look forward to one day having a nice room myself)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:
Chris Whealy wrote:
Take a look at how I sound-proofed my garage to use as a drum
practice room. I used the room-within-a-room technique mentioned above.
http://www.whealy.com/drumming/Soundproofing/index.html

Nice description of your project. Just a comment : are you
aware that your bicycle inner tube will deflate over time ?
Do you have provision for pumping it up now and then ?

Paul (look forward to one day having a nice room myself)

You're right. The void under the apex of the roof is large enough to
crawl into and re-inflate if necessary.
Spose I'd better check it... :-)

Chris W
--

The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Chris Whealy wrote in
:

Nice description of your project. Just a comment : are you
aware that your bicycle inner tube will deflate over time ?
Do you have provision for pumping it up now and then ?

Paul (look forward to one day having a nice room myself)

You're right. The void under the apex of the roof is large enough to
crawl into and re-inflate if necessary.
Spose I'd better check it... :-)

I suspect that when it fails you'll know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:08:06 -0500, Mick Cantarella wrote
(in article ):

Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for sound-proofing?
A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he should use. He is
semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for rehearsing in, and have some
foam to put up. Thanks for your help. -Mick

Foam will not sound proof a room. Foam does not block sound. the combination
of density-isolation-density blocks sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Chris,

Take a look at how I sound-proofed my garage

Wow, that's a REALLY nice write-up. Excellent job!

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Mick Cantarella wrote:
Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for
sound-proofing? A friend is wondering if there's a particular glue he
should use. He is semi-sound-proofing a room in his apt for
rehearsing in, and have some foam to put up. Thanks for your help.
-Mick

assuming you mean "acoustical sound treatment" i am about to start a multi
studio treatment project. using what has worked best for me in past projects
i will glue the foam panels to a backing material like thin plywood in a
remote location and allow the assemblies to air out for a few weeks. when
the glue and new foam smell is diminished i will transport the assemblies to
the studios and screw them to the walls. should the studios decide to move
or even relocate within the building the foam sections are then easily
reusable.

some foam manufacturers recommend certain brands of adheasive which they say
prevents shrinkage. the times i have used this then run out and switched to
'liquid nails' i never observed shrinkage or any other detriment to take
place over time over time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Mick Cantarella wrote:

Does anyone here know anything about putting up foam for
sound-proofing?

Is it enough to know that it is a fire and smoke hazard unless
fireproof, and if fireproof possibly a health hazard?

Regards

Peter Larsen