Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Default Comparing two waveforms (spectrum)

I have to copy some filter settings to a new machine using a different
DSP technology.
The easiest method is comparing two (electrical, not acoustic) pink
noise streams after filtering and adjusting the filters on the new
machine to match the waveforms on the old one. Are there any free
progs I can use for this? It's a one off and I don't want to spend $$
$. Tried my old version of TrueRTA but I need to capture and hold
(say) left channel data on screen while I tweak Right channel input,
and it just won't do it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
I have to copy some filter settings to a new machine using a different
DSP technology.
The easiest method is comparing two (electrical, not acoustic) pink
noise streams after filtering and adjusting the filters on the new
machine to match the waveforms on the old one. Are there any free
progs I can use for this? It's a one off and I don't want to spend $$
$. Tried my old version of TrueRTA but I need to capture and hold
(say) left channel data on screen while I tweak Right channel input,
and it just won't do it.

Print the screen out on a transparency sheet, tape it to the terminal
display, match the curves.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Aug 3, 1:40*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article ,
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

I have to copy some filter settings to a new machine using a different
DSP technology.
The easiest method is comparing two (electrical, not acoustic) pink
noise streams after filtering and adjusting the filters on the new
machine to match the waveforms on the old one. Are there any free
progs I can use for this? It's a one off and I don't want to spend $$
$. Tried my old version of TrueRTA but I need to capture and hold
(say) left channel data on screen while I tweak Right channel input,
and it just won't do it.

this is free and might help you...

http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
I have to copy some filter settings to a new machine using a different
DSP technology.
The easiest method is comparing two (electrical, not acoustic) pink
noise streams after filtering and adjusting the filters on the new
machine to match the waveforms on the old one. Are there any free
progs I can use for this?

It's only the easiest way if you have a free program to do
it. The easiest and cheapest way is to write down the filter
settings and transfer them to the other machine.

Tried my old version of TrueRTA but I need to capture and hold
(say) left channel data on screen while I tweak Right channel input,
and it just won't do it.

I think I remember the name Har-Bal (for "Harmonic Balance,
I think) of a plug-in that created a filter that matched the
frequency response of a system to make it sound like a
reference source. I don't think it was free, and it's
probably obsolete now.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

On 04/08/2010 00:34, Jason Warren wrote:
In article8daeb37c-f039-47a3-b8f4-
fc3e02182960
@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com,
says...
Dirk Bruere at wrote:

I have to copy some filter settings to a new machine using a different
DSP technology.
The easiest method is comparing two (electrical, not acoustic) pink
noise streams after filtering and adjusting the filters on the new
machine to match the waveforms on the old one. Are there any free
progs I can use for this? It's a one off and I don't want to spend $$
$. Tried my old version of TrueRTA but I need to capture and hold
(say) left channel data on screen while I tweak Right channel input,
and it just won't do it.

this is free and might help you...

http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Mark

Even if it doesn't help with this
particular problem, that is a very
nice application. I use it for lots of
things besides ham radio.

Thanks.
Just one question - are those multicolored spectrograms really of any
use? I just find them confusing.

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Just one question - are those multicolored spectrograms really of any
use? I just find them confusing.

Well, speech pathologists use them to figure out what goes
on between your vocal cords and your lips, but in audio
engineering, they're more useful at identifying and fixing
noises than in actually analyzing the frequency content of
an audio sample. You need to stare at one for a while in
order to figure out what's represented on each axis (color
being one axis).

My first exposure to this display was when I was writing a
review of WaveLab, which offered a spectral editor. What
finally brought it home to me was when I mixed a burst of a
single frequency tone (like feedback) into an audio file and
then looked at it with the spectral editor. It was very easy
to recognize, particularly when playing through the audio. I
just had to draw a box around the bright blob, click on
"delete," and the simulated feedback was gone. Then I tried
it on real feedback and it worked just about as well. It's
also good for removing chair squeaks, and coughs.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

And the spectral display is topnotch for finding scratches on 78s in
complex waveforms where it's well-nigh impossible to find them in the
regular waveform display.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Aug 5, 6:11*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:

It was very easy
to recognize, particularly when playing through the audio. I
just had to draw a box around the bright blob, click on
"delete," and the simulated feedback was gone. Then I tried
it on real feedback and it worked just about as well. It's
also good for removing chair squeaks, and coughs.

Do you know of any Mac application that let you edit in a spectral
display. It sounds useful.