zzz

Default tube construction

Hi. I'm interested in the materials used to make vacuum tubes. Do you
have any idea where I would find out the various metals, etc. that are
used in specific tubes? Thanks.

Eric

Eric Samstad
Patrick Turner

zzz wrote:

Hi. I'm interested in the materials used to make vacuum tubes. Do you
have any idea where I would find out the various metals, etc. that are
used in specific tubes? Thanks.

The main metals are iron and nickel for plate structures,
then you have special wire for grid windings,
proper lead wires to pins, heat resistant plastic for bases,
glass for suiatble bulbs,
but the real hard part is the cathode coating.

Here are some hints about vacuum tube
hazards, including about your PC monitor tube..
http://www.tpub.com/fcv1/28.htm

About heaters,
http://www.thevalvepage.com/valvetek/heater/heater.htm

Generl stuff,
http://www.svetlana.com/docs/tubeworks.html

There were a lot of hits in Google about "vacuum tube materials"

I once saw a website of a guy making his own in his backyard in Japan.

DIY tubes are hard to do; I suggest
you just buy the tubes, and concentrate your efforts on circuit topology,
and other aspects of the engineering.

I suspect DIY transistors would also be difficult, and to make one
might take thousands of $$ worth of gear, but
they can be bought for less than 10c to $10 each.

Patrick Turner.

Eric

Eric Samstad