Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tmh

Default Testing 6KG6 / EL509 / EL519 tubes with Eico 667

I have an Eico 667 that has nothing on the chart for the 6KG6/EL509/EL519.
I have a copy of the manual and tube charts from the bama site. All of the
EL509's and EL519's I tested using the settings found on bama indicated
off-the charts merit. All the other tubes I've tested (12AX7's, EL34's,
6L6's) have produced reasonable results using the settings on the tube chart
in the actual unit. My question is, does anyone know whether the 6KG6
settings for the Eico 667 available on bama are garbage, and if so, does
anyone have proper settings? I'm hard pressed to believe that every EL509
and EL519 I've tested is honestly 140%...

Thanks for any suggestions!

FWIW, the tubes are for use in a Traynor YBA-3A bass guitar amplifier. The
tubes that are in there now are all (as far as I know) original, GE-branded
and labeled as Made In Great Britain, and the amp sounds awesome. I'm
looking to see how it performs with unused NOS tubes in it. Just trying to
decide which of the tubes I have available are the ones to throw in there.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

The 667 as I recall does not have an adjustable bias. Also, as I
remember, the 6K6 requires a rather higher bias voltage from a 6L6. All
other things being equal, if the bias voltage is not high enough, the
tube will test off-the-meter. From memory here, not verified-in-fact.

If my memory serves correctly and you cannot adjust the bias on the
amp, be careful dropping in the 6K6s as they may 'run away' in that
application. At the same time, New/NOS US-made & branded high-quality
tubes will often pin the meter on testers, especially power tubes. But
STILL be careful of the bias issue.

If you wish, I could test a 6L6 and a 6K6G on a Hickok tonight, leaving
the settings based on the 6L6 and let you know what happens? I can also
let you know the different bias voltages if applicable as they are
adjustable on my tester.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA