Francesco

Default Audio Editor for Windows listening while recording

Hi all,
I have a question regarding Audio editor in windows. We are selecting
an Audio Editor (cheap if possible) for our voice giver in order to
arrange audiobooks.
They are used to record with old tape equipment and they listen their
voice while recording: in their opinion this allow a better performance
(better feedback, better voice and so on).
As far as i test (Audacity and Wavepad) i was not able to hear my voice
while i am recording. Can someone suggest me something ?
Thank you in advance
Francesco

Abyssmal

On 16 Apr 2005 09:47:17 -0700, "Francesco"
wrote:

Hi all,
I have a question regarding Audio editor in windows. We are selecting
an Audio Editor (cheap if possible) for our voice giver in order to
arrange audiobooks.
They are used to record with old tape equipment and they listen their
voice while recording: in their opinion this allow a better performance
(better feedback, better voice and so on).
As far as i test (Audacity and Wavepad) i was not able to hear my voice
while i am recording. Can someone suggest me something ?
Thank you in advance
Francesco

Get a small mixer, and monitor with headphones while you record.
randall
Francesco

Thanks randall.
Can you suggest me the mixer brand ?
Francesco

Richard Crowley

"Francesco" [in Italy] wrote ...
Can you suggest me the mixer brand ?

If you are looking for something inexpensive, Behringer
is right down there at the bottom of the barrel. At least
they dominate the low-end market here in the USA.

OTOH, why can't you monitor out of your computer while
recording? This is more likely a function of setting up the
audio configuration in the operating system, and not really
a function of the recording software. You should likely be
able to to this with ANY recording software.

If you told us what computer, operating system, and sound
hardware you are using, we might be able to tell you how
to monitor while recording at no additional cost.
Arny Krueger

Francesco wrote:

Thanks randall.
Can you suggest me the mixer brand ?

Behringer. Given that your recordings aren't exactly high end audio,
their low-end products should suffice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/631239/

Francesco

Thanks again,
Well voice givers now are equipped with a laptop ( 1.5 Ghz and =256
Mb RAM)
Logitech USB Headset and Windows XP Home edition.
The software they are using now is Audacity or Wavepad.

Francesco

Richard, i triy it but i cannot listen anything if i play i listen my
voice but if i record nothing happens, only record.
Thanks
Francesco

Francesco

Mike, how i can use the duplex ?
I try also with a computer with an normal headset with two jack but i
cannot listen my voice while recording.
No regards with the software i am using
Any tips ?
Thanks
Franccesco.

Francesco

Thank you all, I get it, there is a check box in audacity / preferences
that is exactly what they need.
Software Palytrough.
Obviously there is some delay but may be enough.
Thanks again
Francesco

philicorda

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:04:15 -0700, Francesco wrote:

Mike, how i can use the duplex ?
I try also with a computer with an normal headset with two jack but i
cannot listen my voice while recording.
No regards with the software i am using
Any tips ?

Plug in the mic. Plug in the headphones. Speak into the mic.
Turn up everything you can in the soundcard mixer until you hear your
voice.
I don't think there was a single consumer soundcard made that won't work
if you do this.

Thanks
Franccesco.

Francesco

Great ! It works eliminating mute on mic !
Thanks
Francesco

Matt Ion

Francesco wrote:

Hi all,
I have a question regarding Audio editor in windows. We are selecting
an Audio Editor (cheap if possible) for our voice giver in order to
arrange audiobooks.
They are used to record with old tape equipment and they listen their
voice while recording: in their opinion this allow a better performance
(better feedback, better voice and so on).
As far as i test (Audacity and Wavepad) i was not able to hear my voice
while i am recording. Can someone suggest me something ?
Thank you in advance

I don't think what you're looking for is a function of your editor as
much as it is your sound card. The sound card and its drivers MUST
support full-duplex operation. Audacity DOES allow playback of existing
tracks while recording a new track, but the hardware has to support it
as well.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0515-6, 04/17/2005
Tested on: 4/18/2005 8:57:47 AM

Geoff Wood

"Matt Ion" wrote in message Can someone suggest me
something ?
Thank you in advance

I don't think what you're looking for is a function of your editor as much
as it is your sound card. The sound card and its drivers MUST support
full-duplex operation. Audacity DOES allow playback of existing tracks
while recording a new track, but the hardware has to support it as well.

All soundcards that I've heard of in the last ten years support full-duplex
operation.

Was is more to the point is whether or not the DRIVER supports input
monitoring while recording, and if not, if the recording application
supports monitoring while recording. Most drivers do.

geoff