Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Default Mastering "Abbey Road side 2"- like song

I have a client who has recorded a 9 minute long "suite" which includes 3
different songs that develops cleverly into each other like some of the
sequenses on Abbey Road (by the Beatles as if it's possible not to know
this).
The first song doesn't feature drums which gives it a huge headroom while
the last one is pretty rock'n roll with no headroom and the thing in between
is a strange blend between eastern and irish folkmusic.
The problem is that the rest of the album is pretty comtempory sounding with
everything compressed/limited into oblivion to make it as loud as all other
new records and the last song of the 3 should be like that as well. I have
an idea that I can do it with some automation of the final limiter but I
just wanted to hear if anybody had some good advice on something like this.

PS the client insists that everything is done "in the box" (Logic 8) because
he wants to have the opportunity to change things in the last minute. That
means that good advice like "send it to a mastering studio" is not an
option, I have already tried to talk him into that but he's not sure if the
project is finished yet.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] victor.bresse@gmail.com is offline

Well usually mastering is the final stage...
And you do it there, cause It's meant to be there..
So you don't go back and rework what you have allready done .. when he
changes a bit ...
If he's sending it for demo... I advice you to make a small changes
on soundforge (or wave editor with good plugins)
And give him that pre-final...
So you would'nt have to automate 2 or 3 times, on every change he
makes...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
El.Plates El.Plates is offline

wrote in message
Well usually mastering is the final stage...

NO not usually ALWAYS.. clue is there in the sentence

And you do it there, cause It's meant to be there..
So you don't go back and rework what you have allready done .. when he
changes a bit ...
If he's sending it for demo... I advice you to make a small changes
on soundforge (or wave editor with good plugins)

Advice irrelevant ,you don't know the project
And give him that pre-final...

Why ? I dont . (pre-final...amateur time)

So you would'nt have to automate 2 or 3 times, on every change he
makes...

Amateur. ps how is the kicking music scene in the middle east..........