Levi Kudrna

Default Class D vs. Class AB

Has anybody ever compared a Class D mono subwoofer amp to a regular Class AB
amplifier bridged powering a sub? I currently own a Class D amplifier and
it sounds great. Although I feel that bass drums should hit harder than
they do. I was just wondering if that could be due to the Class D design
that it cannot hit transients as accurately as a Class AB amplifier. Mine
plays excellent with rap but seems to lack punch with rock music. Anbody
know?

Levi

MZ

Has anybody ever compared a Class D mono subwoofer amp to a regular Class
AB
amplifier bridged powering a sub? I currently own a Class D amplifier and
it sounds great. Although I feel that bass drums should hit harder than
they do. I was just wondering if that could be due to the Class D design
that it cannot hit transients as accurately as a Class AB amplifier. Mine
plays excellent with rap but seems to lack punch with rock music. Anbody
know?

It has nothing to do with the class D vs. class AB. In terms of sonic
reproducibility below a few hundred Hz, the two are identical.

FasDeth

"MZ" wrote in message
Has anybody ever compared a Class D mono subwoofer amp to a regular

Class
AB
amplifier bridged powering a sub? I currently own a Class D amplifier

and
it sounds great. Although I feel that bass drums should hit harder than
they do. I was just wondering if that could be due to the Class D

design
that it cannot hit transients as accurately as a Class AB amplifier. .

Anbody
know?

Mine is great. It barely even gets warm...

Mine
plays excellent with rap but seems to lack punch with rock music

I noticed the same with mine, but haven't had time to fine tune the
crossover points.That will hopefully cure it. I have one 10' in a .65
sealed box.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Levi Kudrna" wrote:

Has anybody ever compared a Class D mono subwoofer amp to a regular Class AB
amplifier bridged powering a sub? I currently own a Class D amplifier and
it sounds great. Although I feel that bass drums should hit harder than
they do. I was just wondering if that could be due to the Class D design
that it cannot hit transients as accurately as a Class AB amplifier. Mine
plays excellent with rap but seems to lack punch with rock music. Anbody
know?

Levi

Make sure you don't have redundant crossovers. If there's one in your
HU and one in the sub amp, remove one or set one to the maximum cutoff
frequency. Each one delays the sound. Too much of a delay compared to
the main speakers will cause the sound to get muddy and have odd spikes
and valleys in the overall frequency response.

It could also be your subwoofer enclosure. Ported enclosures slur the
sound somewhat so they're best left to the lowest frequencies where it
isn't noticed. They're often not a choice for a car.

Technobable on why Class D amps are usually only for subs:

Class D runs into problems at higher frequencies and higher impedances.
The switching frequency has to be several times higher than the rated
audio frequency response. For a clean 20Khz audio response, you may
need to switch at 100KHz. To maintain efficiency, the transistors must
do that 100KHz switching with very sharp transitions. That means you're
dealing with voltage change rates (dv/dt) comparable to what you'd see
in a high power radio transmitter, but without the ability to use
resonant circuits. In fact, natural resonation must be carefully
damped. It gets tricky.

Now for a 200Hz sub output, the circuitry is quite manageable. There's
no reason to not expect nearly perfect performance.

Class D full range/Class T w/Tripath Ivan Lopez Car Audio 11 August 16th 04 02:28 PM
FS: 3000 watt amp $179!! 900 watt woofers $36!! new- free shipping Nexxon General 1 October 14th 03 02:06 PM
Class A/B Amp Sir Andy Car Audio 5 August 29th 03 05:19 AM
Class D vs Class A/B amps Sam Carleton Car Audio 14 July 25th 03 05:34 AM