CapnGimp

Default will mp3 made on NTFS file system play in mp3 players for cars???

I use ntfs file system in Win2k and was about to purchase a head unit
that plays mp3's for my car so i could use all my mp3 cds, then i saw
that some only play DOS format mp3s. Does this mean I have to copy
them in someone elses 'puter and burn 'em before I can use them??? In
addition , I am probably gonna get one on ebay for under 150 bucks as
I R A PO MAN! I have an Audio Art 140.4XE amp that I will be using
from years ago. I know it works great. Just got to start driving again
after an accident that paralyzed me 7 years ago, an can't wait ta use
my mp3s some one let me know quick please grin thanks in advance!!
Cat Carson

Tom's right. I use Windows 2000 with NTFS. I store my MP3s on an
NTFS-formatted hard disk. When I go to burn a CD, though, the burner program
(Nero is what came with my CD/RW drive; Roxio, Adaptec are other names you
might recognize) reads the files from NTFS and puts 'em on CD in IS09660
format. My Pioneer 5500MP reads 'em just fine.

There's a number of options and extensions to the ISO9660 format--Joliet,
Romeo, Mode 1, Mode 2, multisession, etc. Most MP3 players handle all these
options without any problem.

"TomTom" wrote in message
You'll be fine with cd's burned on an NTFS machine.

More specifically I think most head units prefer cd's that are burned in

the
ISO9660 format. I know my alpine specifies not only the type of cd but

also
the length of the filename and what characters are allowed. The manual

says
it will play other cd formats such as Joliet and Romeo but there is no
guarantee that the file / folder names will display properly.

If I were you I would assume that the only characters you can use in your
file names are A to Z in all caps, 0 to 9, the _ underscore character, and
the space character.

The ISO9660 standard says that the maximum nested folder depth is 8
including the root, file/folder names are limited to 31 characters

including
the extension.

You can look in your cd-burning software's preferences or options on how

burn a disc to a specific cd standard (ISO9660, Joliet, Romeo, etc). Also
look in the help file as it will usually explain these different formats

for
you.

-Tom

"CapnGimp" wrote in message
om...
I use ntfs file system in Win2k and was about to purchase a head unit
that plays mp3's for my car so i could use all my mp3 cds, then i saw
that some only play DOS format mp3s. Does this mean I have to copy
them in someone elses 'puter and burn 'em before I can use them??? In
addition , I am probably gonna get one on ebay for under 150 bucks as
I R A PO MAN! I have an Audio Art 140.4XE amp that I will be using
from years ago. I know it works great. Just got to start driving again
after an accident that paralyzed me 7 years ago, an can't wait ta use
my mp3s some one let me know quick please grin thanks in advance!!

---