Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Evans Tom Evans is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
terrific instrument sounds?

I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.

The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Tom Evans wrote:

What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
terrific instrument sounds?

I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.

The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

All the DAW programs that offer a lot of power and flexibility are
complicated. There are various interpretations of the GUI, and various
concepts of terminology for the names of facilities and elements. How
you react to those is what makes ro breaks your relationship to the
application.

I'm still back on Logic Pro 9.something so I can't speak to changes made
to Logic X, said by a friend of mine to be excellent. I started on v. 5
Gold, and met the "problem" right off. Back then you had to configure
the whole setup via the Environment to manifest the system as you liked
it. With no experince of the app or the process, little comprehension of
the terminology, unable to get anything done until this was all worked
through, I found it a daunting situation. Once I had climbed that
particular mountain things went fairly smoothly.

These days when asked about DAW apps, or when thinking what I'll do when
upgrade becomes necessary, I look over at Reaper, which is already quite
powerful, well supported, and truly fairly priced. As with all of them,
it offers its own way of going about the work, and there will be new
stuff to learn.

Look for friends who use the vrious DAW apps, and see if you can get a
test drive at their house.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 05:55:02 -0800, hank alrich said:

Tom Evans wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Hank.

I don't have any friends who own DAWs.

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2014 1:47 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
terrific instrument sounds?

The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

Sounds are as good as you want to pay for. What comes with the basic
program varies from blah to pretty good, and what's blah and what's good
depends on what you're looking for.

They're all too complicated, and today none of them inherently sound
worse or better than the others. Sound is dependent on the source (or
virtual instrument software) and the A/D and D/A converters in your
computer or interface. That's another thing that more money can buy
better, but pretty good is good enough for most purposes.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
flatfish+++[_3_] flatfish+++[_3_] is offline

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:47:35 -0800, Tom Evans wrote:

What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
terrific instrument sounds?

I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.

The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

If you are a composer it's hard to beat Studio One for work flow,
ease of use and a decent compliment of instruments.
IMHO it's probably the least complex of all the DAW software and
while it doesn't have the extreme granularity and superb MIDI control
that say Cubase has, it does have more than enough features for most.

I use the Windows version (Studio One Professional) so can't comment
on the Mac version but it's been ultra stable for me.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Stu...e/what-you-get

Another alternative is to stick with Logic, spend some time watching
YouTube and learn what you might be struggling with. Then spend the
money you save by not DAW hopping on something like Kontact.
Depending on the version, you'll get a bazillion high quality
(mostly) instruments.

In my experience, unless you truly hate a particular DAW, hopping to
a new one rarely solves the problems. The grass isn't always greener
etc.

Good luck!

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 09:40:40 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

[...]

Thanks, Flat Fish.

Am I right that the version of Studio One for making pro-quality music
for publishing would be the $499 "Studio One 2 Professional" version?

The various versions of Studio One are shown on this page about
two-thirds of the way down the page:
http://eadox.com/EAwebPubDocs/PLreta...v14_retail.pdf

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 09:40:40 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

[...]

I downloaded the 30-day demo of Kontakt and I wasn't impressed with
most of the sounds because some of them sounded low-quality and there
are only 40 sounds in the package. I went to a local music store
earlier this year and asked for a salesman for a good software
instrument sounds library and his first recommendation was a box
containing that same Kontakt sound library of only 40 sounds and the
price if I recall correctly was $140.

That seems like a bad deal compared to Logic, which costs $200 and
comes with thousands of sounds and loops in addition to the
comprehensive recording and mastering functions of Logic, so I 'm
confused about this seeming discrepancy. Can anyone explaining this
apparent discrepancy to me?

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 09:40:40 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

[...]

I'm looking for better software instrument sounds and Garageband's
collection (even with the 30 gigabytes provided by the Mainstage jam
packs seems pretty limited in quality except for some instrument sounds
such as piano and a few of the synths, and even Garageband's function
where you can combine instrument sounds to come up with uniqure sounds
has only given me a few uniqure sounds that sound really cool to me.

It sounds like Logic has far more terrific sounds than Garageband with
Mainstage, so that also seems to contradict your statement that
changing DAWs rarely solve problems. Also, Garageband with Mainstage
is for beginners, whereas I'm hoping to make and publish pro-quality
sounds, so that also seems to contradict your statement that switching
DAWs rarely solves problems.

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 09:40:40 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

[...]

You have to compare "Apples with Apples". Comparing Garageband with
Logic is like comparing a Porsche to a Ford Fiesta.

Of course moving to a higher end product is going to provide more
features.

I'm talking about jumping from Cubase Professional to Studio One
Professional to CakeWalk Sonar Producer etc. Not comparing the bottom
product to the top tier product.

I see people spend more time hopping DAW software than making music.
It rarely solves their problems unless like I said there they
absolutely hate their current DAW software.

Good luck.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 14:57:03 -0500, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

If you are a composer it's hard to beat Studio One for work flow,
ease of use and a decent compliment of instruments.
IMHO it's probably the least complex of all the DAW software and
while it doesn't have the extreme granularity and superb MIDI control
that say Cubase has, it does have more than enough features for most.
I use the Windows version (Studio One Professional) so can't comment
on the Mac version but it's been ultra stable for me.

I'm a totally blind composer/arranger who's been out of the DAW scene for the
past 14 years, ever since Cakewalk and Sonar went through horribly inaccessible
periods. I've looked into Reaper and have spoken with blind folks using Pro
Tools on Macs with Voiceover. My main concern is the accessibility of virtual
instruments (softsynths) and MIDI event editing. Does Studio 1 have any kind of
staff notational component?
Thanks,
Orlando

Presonus sells Notion software as a separate product. I use Finale to
generate notation and parts so I can't comment on how good/bad it is.

I can understand how you feel about Sonar though.
The X interface is horrible.

I've been a Sonar/Cakewalk user since Greg used to answer the support
lines and I hate it.
To each her own.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 16:40:43 -0500, flatfish+++
wrote:

[...]

You use Finale? Right...

I want to change the BPM count part way through a score. How do I do
that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2014 1:43 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
Am I right that the version of Studio One for making pro-quality music
for publishing would be the $499 "Studio One 2 Professional" version?

It's the USER that makes pro-quality music, not the program. The
difference between the versions is how many goodies they give you. And
they always have sales. Check the PreSonus web site. You just missed
their Black Friday deal, but maybe it's been extended like just about
everyone else's.

Why don't you download the free version and try it. It comes with a
handful of instruments so you can play with it and decide if you can
make pro quality music with it, knowing that if the only thing that
doesn't sound "professional" to you is the sounds, you can make that
better by throwing money at it.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

Do you have tempo information in your score already?
That will override what you have in the tempo box.

I use my DAW program for composing and perform the tempo changes
there.
I only use Finale for notation and cleaning up parts.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:23:35 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/6/2014 1:43 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
Am I right that the version of Studio One for making pro-quality music
for publishing would be the $499 "Studio One 2 Professional" version?

It's the USER that makes pro-quality music, not the program. The
difference between the versions is how many goodies they give you. And
they always have sales. Check the PreSonus web site. You just missed
their Black Friday deal, but maybe it's been extended like just about
everyone else's.

Bingo.

Why don't you download the free version and try it. It comes with a
handful of instruments so you can play with it and decide if you can
make pro quality music with it, knowing that if the only thing that
doesn't sound "professional" to you is the sounds, you can make that
better by throwing money at it.

+1 again.
I see so many people DAW hopping, wasting money and looking for the
holy grail.
Ain't no such thing. That green grass will have some brown patches in
a couple of weeks and the user will end up DAW hopping again.

Spend the money on some decent VSTi.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

I use it to create a midi track. The piece I have in mind starts at 95
BPM, then after about 20 bars, changes down to 78 BPM. I can't find
how to make that change. I've had to do it by splitting the tune into
two separate parts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 12/5/2014 11:47 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
terrific instrument sounds?

I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.

The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

I've been happy with Cubase 5.

Although it DOES sometimes get the digital "hiccups", in which case
you have to restart the program. It's also a probably due to the fact
that I'm only using dual-core and not a quad-core machine, and only 4
Gigs of RAM.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

You need to use the Expression Tool. Like I said, I use my DAW to do
this but here is a YouTube doing what I think you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqXvGSK31Rc

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 14:34:25 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:23:35 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/6/2014 1:43 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
Am I right that the version of Studio One for making pro-quality music
for publishing would be the $499 "Studio One 2 Professional" version?

It's the USER that makes pro-quality music, not the program. The
difference between the versions is how many goodies they give you. And
they always have sales. Check the PreSonus web site. You just missed
their Black Friday deal, but maybe it's been extended like just about
everyone else's.

Bingo.

I didn't see sale prices there.

Why don't you download the free version and try it. It comes with a
handful of instruments so you can play with it and decide if you can
make pro quality music with it, knowing that if the only thing that
doesn't sound "professional" to you is the sounds, you can make that
better by throwing money at it.

Can't I do that using Garageband? I don't have much money to throw.

+1 again.
I see so many people DAW hopping, wasting money and looking for the
holy grail.
Ain't no such thing. That green grass will have some brown patches in
a couple of weeks and the user will end up DAW hopping again.

Spend the money on some decent VSTi.

Is there great libraries of sounds (that you call VSTI) that a

1. Mac-compatible and
2. work well in Garageband and
3 are reasonably priced?

I looked at East West but it costs $700, which is far more than my budget.

I'd be happy to stick with Garageband because the format is simple,
compared to the other programs I've viewed, but there aren't many good
instrument sounds.

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 14:34:25 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:23:35 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/6/2014 1:43 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
Am I right that the version of Studio One for making pro-quality music
for publishing would be the $499 "Studio One 2 Professional" version?

It's the USER that makes pro-quality music, not the program. The
difference between the versions is how many goodies they give you. And
they always have sales. Check the PreSonus web site. You just missed
their Black Friday deal, but maybe it's been extended like just about
everyone else's.

Bingo.

I didn't see sale prices there.

Look again....

https://shop.presonus.com/products/Software-Specials

Why don't you download the free version and try it. It comes with a
handful of instruments so you can play with it and decide if you can
make pro quality music with it, knowing that if the only thing that
doesn't sound "professional" to you is the sounds, you can make that
better by throwing money at it.

Can't I do that using Garageband? I don't have much money to throw.

I dunno.
You're the one complaining about the sounds in Garageband.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/12/2014 2:55 a.m., hank alrich wrote:

These days when asked about DAW apps, or when thinking what I'll do when
upgrade becomes necessary, I look over at Reaper, which is already quite
powerful, well supported, and truly fairly priced. As with all of them,
it offers its own way of going about the work, and there will be new
stuff to learn.

ANd given that it was based-on/inspired-by Vegas,m has a relatively
straightforward easy workflow. I've always found the germanic-origin
applications very steep in the learning curve department.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/12/2014 7:43 a.m., Tom Evans wrote:

Am I right that the version of Studio One for making pro-quality music
for publishing would be the $499 "Studio One 2 Professional" version?

Don't think that by purchasing an app with "professional" in the name
that any result will be professional. Pretty much ALL DAWs are capable
of turning out professional quality results.

The 'instrument sounds' that come bundled with some DAWs are often just
something to get you started, though some are quite comprehensive. When
you get serious you can purchase third-party VSTi instruments and
libraries of sounds.

And another option is to record real instruments ;-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:05:38 +1300, geoff wrote:

On 7/12/2014 2:55 a.m., hank alrich wrote:

These days when asked about DAW apps, or when thinking what I'll do when
upgrade becomes necessary, I look over at Reaper, which is already quite
powerful, well supported, and truly fairly priced. As with all of them,
it offers its own way of going about the work, and there will be new
stuff to learn.

ANd given that it was based-on/inspired-by Vegas,m has a relatively
straightforward easy workflow. I've always found the germanic-origin
applications very steep in the learning curve department.

geoff

The most obtuse and difficult DAW program I ever used was Emagic
Logic for the PC. Many years ago of course. I literally could not get
a squeak out of that one and actually had a student at the local
college help me set it up. What a bear albeit probably the most
powerful MIDI program at the time.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/12/2014 7:57 a.m., Tom Evans wrote:

I downloaded the 30-day demo of Kontakt and I wasn't impressed with most
of the sounds because some of them sounded low-quality and there are
only 40 sounds in the package.

Is it possible that there is another factor in your system that smirches
'good sounds' into sounding crappy ? Speakers, amplifier, headphones,
soundcard, room, etc ?

Or are they maybe just sounds that are not your cup of soup style-wise ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:17:00 +1300, geoff wrote:

On 7/12/2014 8:57 a.m., Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
[...]

Most of these 'sounds' are EXTERNAL to the core DAW itself, and are
third-party plug-ins which can be added to, replace, or deleted.

geoff

Here is a thread in GS discussing "sounds"...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...endations.html

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 17:15:16 -0800, geoff said:

On 7/12/2014 7:57 a.m., Tom Evans wrote:

I downloaded the 30-day demo of Kontakt and I wasn't impressed with most
of the sounds because some of them sounded low-quality and there are
only 40 sounds in the package.

Is it possible that there is another factor in your system that
smirches 'good sounds' into sounding crappy ? Speakers, amplifier,
headphones, soundcard, room, etc ?

Or are they maybe just sounds that are not your cup of soup style-wise ?

geoff

Thanks, Geoff.

Most of the Kontakt sounds are not my cup of soup style-wise. (To put
it more simply, I don't like most of them.)

By contrast, I find that most of the sounds on the Apple site Logic
section sample audio clip are marvellous, with or without headphones.
So that's the level of quality I'm looking for.

It's not a matter of speakers, amplifier, headphones, soundcard or
room. I think it's more a matter of my preferences.

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 14:34:25 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

[...]

What I mean is: Instead of spending $325 for Studio One Professional 2
and then having to spend a lot of time shopping for maybe another $325
to add more instrument sounds to Stuido One for a total of about maybe
$700 or $800, can't I just buy insturment sounds to add to Garageband
for less money than that, since I'm being advised strongly here not to
change my music-making program.

I don't like most of the sounds that come with Garageband and
Mainstage, so I'm looking for a better package of instrument sounds
that I can add to Garageband, if that's feasible.

Tom

+1 again.
I see so many people DAW hopping, wasting money and looking for the
holy grail.
Ain't no such thing. That green grass will have some brown patches in
a couple of weeks and the user will end up DAW hopping again.

Spend the money on some decent VSTi.

Is there great libraries of sounds (that you call VSTI) that a

1. Mac-compatible and
2. work well in Garageband and
3 are reasonably priced?

I looked at East West but it costs $700, which is far more than my budget.

I'd be happy to stick with Garageband because the format is simple,
compared to the other programs I've viewed, but there aren't many good
instrument sounds.

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed. I missed the match playback
step. That should not be necessary.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

f flatfish+++ wrote:

[...]

Regardless of platform back then, you could not do anything until you
had figured out the Environment. A few versions later, and after Apple
bought Emagic, it arrived with starter templates for a variety of
Environments, making gettin going a lot easier.

For a dumbass guitar player like me, that first encounter with Logic's
Environment was daunting.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom Evans wrote:

I'm looking for better software instrument sounds and Garageband's
collection (even with the 30 gigabytes provided by the Mainstage jam
packs seems pretty limited in quality except for some instrument sounds
such as piano and a few of the synths, and even Garageband's function
where you can combine instrument sounds to come up with uniqure sounds
has only given me a few uniqure sounds that sound really cool to me.

It sounds like Logic has far more terrific sounds than Garageband with
Mainstage, so that also seems to contradict your statement that
changing DAWs rarely solve problems. Also, Garageband with Mainstage
is for beginners, whereas I'm hoping to make and publish pro-quality
sounds, so that also seems to contradict your statement that switching
DAWs rarely solves problems.

Punch this into a Google search:

garageband virtual instrument package

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/12/2014 6:07 p.m., Tom Evans wrote:

It's not a matter of speakers, amplifier, headphones, soundcard or
room. I think it's more a matter of my preferences.

Luckily, most VSTis and sample libraries have free demo versions ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/12/2014 09:19, geoff wrote:
On 7/12/2014 6:07 p.m., Tom Evans wrote:

It's not a matter of speakers, amplifier, headphones, soundcard or
room. I think it's more a matter of my preferences.

Luckily, most VSTis and sample libraries have free demo versions ....

And if you're on a tight budget, most VSTis can be used with Audacity.
You lose the pretty graphics, but the functionality is all there.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tom Evans wrote:

Most of the Kontakt sounds are not my cup of soup style-wise. (To put
it more simply, I don't like most of them.)

Then purchase a third-party sample library. Pick the software you like,
then purchase sounds for it, not the other way around.

Or make your own samples.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-06 14:34:25 -0800, flatfish+++ said:

[...]

Got it!
I would spend the money on sounds and instruments.

The included sounds with just about every DAW are variable.
Some are really good and others not so much.
Also it depends upon what kind of music you are creating.
Someone doing jazz or classical might want realistic sounding
instruments vs someone doing electronic music might want sounds that
don't sound realistic but are unique.

Look at the thread I posted from GS.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at how convoluted that procedure
is.
I've never done that but I tried and like you I was unable to figure
it out until I found the video.

Glad it helped!

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 01:08:21 -0600, hank alrich wrote:

f flatfish+++ wrote:

[...]

Environment!
That brings back bad memories lol !

For a dumbass guitar player like me, that first encounter with Logic's
Environment was daunting.

As a keyboard player with a couple of modules at the time I was
completely and totally lost.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...current.htm l
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" skrev i en meddelelse

Tom Evans wrote:

Most of the Kontakt sounds are not my cup of soup style-wise. (To put
it more simply, I don't like most of them.)

Then purchase a third-party sample library. Pick the software you like,
then purchase sounds for it, not the other way around.

Or make your own samples.

Good that the coffee still is in the kitchen

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom Evans wrote:

Most of the Kontakt sounds are not my cup of soup style-wise. (To put
it more simply, I don't like most of them.)

Then purchase a third-party sample library. Pick the software you like,
then purchase sounds for it, not the other way around.

Or make your own samples.

Good that the coffee still is in the kitchen

What?

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2014-12-07 06:50:32 -0800, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom Evans wrote:

Most of the Kontakt sounds are not my cup of soup style-wise. (To put
it more simply, I don't like most of them.)

Then purchase a third-party sample library. Pick the software you like,
then purchase sounds for it, not the other way around.

Or make your own samples.
--scott

Thanks, Scott.

I was planning to buy the software I think I would like (Logic Pro) and
I think the sounds in that might be sufficient so that I wouldn't feel
the need to buy more sounds.

But I've been urged in this thread to stick with Garageband and buy
sounds for it.

However, I don't know if Garageband's Arpreggiator is as good as Logic
Pro's, though. I read that many fellows praised Logic Pro 10's
arpreggiator. They seemed to think that was the best feature of Logic.

Tom