Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Henig Jeff Henig is offline

Default Touring Advice

Hey, all!

I'm working on some solo gigs (both a cappella/church and
instrumental/secular) and looking at the best way to deal with venues,
multiple revenue streams, etc. without acting like a psychotic
gold-digger. I've been involved in some way/shape/form in the Christian
music arena off and on for around 20 years, but I've been stupid and not
paid as close attention as I should to what's effective rather than
"doing things the way they've always been done".

I've read Krasilovsky and Shemel's "This Business of Music" and "More
About This Business of Music", as well as J. Dearing's "Making Money
Making Music" (many moons ago). I'm in the middle of "The Music Industry
Self-Help Guide" by Michael Repel.

What is another good source of info in this area (book, video, or
otherwise)? I've looked online--which is how I found the Repel book, but
I'd like to hear from some people whose expertise and character I know
and respect on the matter.

I guess that means I shouldn't ask here... cough

But seriously, I trust the opinions of those on this list a whole heck
of a lot more than an Amazon review or even another NG where I know no one.

I want to do this right.

--
---Jeff

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/27/2014 6:39 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:

I'm working on some solo gigs (both a cappella/church and
instrumental/secular) and looking at the best way to deal with venues,
multiple revenue streams, etc. without acting like a psychotic
gold-digger.

Best way to do that is to hire a good manager and keep out of his or her
way.

I've read Krasilovsky and Shemel's "This Business of Music" and "More
About This Business of Music", as well as J. Dearing's "Making Money
Making Music" (many moons ago). I'm in the middle of "The Music Industry
Self-Help Guide" by Michael Repel.

What is another good source of info in this area (book, video, or
otherwise)?

If you feel like you're getting something useful from books, try Project
Management for Musicians by Jonathan Feist, published by Berklee Press.
It's heavy stuff, but presented using terminology that's familiar to
musicians rather than generic terms that they used in a couple of
project management classes that I had to take in my life as an
engineering manager.

What you'll learn from the book is a process for systematically
identifying all the parts that have to come together in order to reach
your goal or goals for the project, and making sure that you're aware of
the resources required and when every piece has to be completed before
some other piece is started.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Project Management for Musicians by Jonathan Feist, published by Berklee
Press

Thanks, Mike. Not bad, for a banjo player.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/27/2014 11:24 PM, hank alrich wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
Project Management for Musicians by Jonathan Feist, published by Berklee
Press

Thanks, Mike. Not bad, for a banjo player.

It didn't help my banjo playing any, but understanding the project
management process was helpful when I was putting 120 new ILSs at
airports 15 years ago. I wonder if they still work.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

polymod wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

On 9/27/2014 6:39 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:

I'm working on some solo gigs (both a cappella/church and
instrumental/secular) and looking at the best way to deal with venues,
multiple revenue streams, etc. without acting like a psychotic
gold-digger.

Best way to do that is to hire a good manager and keep out of his or her
way.

You absolutely need to have a tour manager. And that tour manager might
be somebody's wife or husband in the band, or it might be some retiree
in your church congregation, and it might well be a volunteer who would
like to take a little vacation with the group. It might even be one member
of the band who is assigned the job although I strongly suggest this will
lead to fighting.

If you're actually making money it becomes more difficult, but that is
seldom a problem....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

polymod wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

On 9/27/2014 6:39 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:

I'm working on some solo gigs (both a cappella/church and
instrumental/secular) and looking at the best way to deal with venues,
multiple revenue streams, etc. without acting like a psychotic
gold-digger.

Best way to do that is to hire a good manager and keep out of his or her
way.

You absolutely need to have a tour manager. And that tour manager might
be somebody's wife or husband in the band, or it might be some retiree
in your church congregation, and it might well be a volunteer who would
like to take a little vacation with the group. It might even be one member
of the band who is assigned the job although I strongly suggest this will
lead to fighting.

Couldn't agree more. I toured with a popular band from the late 60's early
60's and the manager was the husband of one of the lead singers.
Saw quite a few "let's get ready to rumble" performances there!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"polymod" wrote in message ...

snippage

Couldn't agree more. I toured with a popular band from the late 60's early
60's

sorry....meant late 50's early 60's.

Poly

Thanks for the advice Jenn Audio Opinions 3 January 10th 08 02:39 AM
Purchase advice needed, small touring live PA [email protected][_2_] Pro Audio 4 July 18th 07 06:58 AM
Advice Please Alan Tech 3 December 7th 04 02:00 AM
Advice please Hugh Hogan Car Audio 1 March 28th 04 09:19 PM