Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mikey Mikey is offline

Default Effects Loop

I know to some of you this my be a dum question... but i don't know
the answer and would appreciate any opinions.
Recently i got a Behringer X2442USB Mixer with 8 of the channels that
have "sidechain inputs". I'm using a DBX 166XSV
Gate/Compressor/Limiter and a Behringer FBQ3102 Ultragraph PRO EQ. I
can only plug one into the side chain at a time. Is it conventional or
acceptable to plug either of these 2 outboard units into the "effects
loop" being as you're adding more or less effect with a knob (as
opposed to in line)?

mikey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Mikey" wrote in message

I know to some of you this my be a dum question... but i don't know
the answer and would appreciate any opinions.
Recently i got a Behringer X2442USB Mixer with 8 of the channels that
have "sidechain inputs". I'm using a DBX 166XSV
Gate/Compressor/Limiter and a Behringer FBQ3102 Ultragraph PRO EQ. I
can only plug one into the side chain at a time. Is it conventional or
acceptable to plug either of these 2 outboard units into the "effects
loop" being as you're adding more or less effect with a knob (as
opposed to in line)?

mikey

You could daisy chain the compressor and EQ. Out of the side chain into the
EQ, out of the EQ into the compressor, and back into the channel side-chain.
What is the configuration of the side-chain cable you are now using? You
may have to change it.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/18/2012 11:15 AM, Mikey wrote:

Recently i got a Behringer X2442USB Mixer with 8 of the channels that
have "sidechain inputs". I'm using a DBX 166XSV
Gate/Compressor/Limiter and a Behringer FBQ3102 Ultragraph PRO EQ. I
can only plug one into the side chain at a time. Is it conventional or
acceptable to plug either of these 2 outboard units into the "effects
loop" being as you're adding more or less effect with a knob (as
opposed to in line)?

First off, they're not "sidechain inputs," they're channel
insert points. Each jack has an output, usually right out of
the mic preamp or line input, that you can connect to the
input of your processor. The insert jack also has a
corresponding input to which you connect the output of your
processor. The result is that you break the normal signal
path through the mixer and INSERT something extra in the
signal path.

Inserts are useful for when there's one channel that gets
the processor, though you can daisy-chain processors. For
instance you could connect the input of your compressor to
the Insert Send (output), connect the output of the
compressor to the input of an equalizer, then connect the
output of the equalizer to the Insert Return (input). Then
you'd have both the compressor and equalizer operating on
that channel.

Generally an effects loop connection is used for effects,
and not usually for compressors or equalizers. If you want
to put the same reverb on four different channels, you can
send a mix of those channels to an auxiliary bus to which
the input of your reverb is connected. The auxiliary return
is an input to the mixer to which you can connect the output
of your processor without using up one of the main channels.

If, for example, you wanted to compress several channels of
background singers, the best way to do that is to assign
those channels to a subgroup (your mixer has four of them)
rather than the main mix, connect the subgroup output to
your compressor, and then bring the compressed group back
into the mix either through a main channel or an auxiliary
return.

For a more detailed description of how signals get in,
through, and out of a mixer, see the article Mixer Anatomy
101 in the Technical Articles section of my web site.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mikey Mikey is offline

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:50:46 -0600, "Steve King"
wrote:

"Mikey" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks Steve King. What i did was purchase (X4) Hosa, tip-ring-sleeve
to double 1/4" phone plugs. These work well in the side chain inserts
as each outboard unit is "stereo" or 2 mono channels. The DBX 166XSV
actually has an additional 2 "side chain" inserts in the rear ....but
they don't seen to work when i plug in the Behringer FBQ3102 EQ going
the conventional, tip-pin 2, ring-pin 3, sleeve-pin 1 Hosa cables. I
can't understand the manual when it says:
"The SIDECHAIN INSERT can be used to control the compressor or
expander/gate by signals other than the audio output (via an auxiliary
device, such as an equalizer). " But i don't think that's important if
i use your suggestion. I could "daisy chain" the 2 as a package by
running one Hosa tip ring sleeve "Y" cable into the input of one
device and the out of the other and connecting a conventional phone
plug cable between the 2 outboard units (in and out). Is this correct?
Did any of that make any sense? I will say that all three devices work
excellent on their own. As opposed to the 266, the DBX 166 is very
natural sounding and has little to no artifacts. The "gate" alone is
worth it.

mikey

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mikey Mikey is offline

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:34:32 -0500, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Hey, Mike dude. How do...

[...]

I think this is what Steve King was saying...no?

Generally an effects loop connection is used for effects,
and not usually for compressors or equalizers. If you want
to put the same reverb on four different channels, you can
send a mix of those channels to an auxiliary bus to which
the input of your reverb is connected. The auxiliary return
is an input to the mixer to which you can connect the output
of your processor without using up one of the main channels.

If, for example, you wanted to compress several channels of
background singers, the best way to do that is to assign
those channels to a subgroup (your mixer has four of them)
rather than the main mix, connect the subgroup output to
your compressor, and then bring the compressed group back
into the mix either through a main channel or an auxiliary
return.

That's good to know.

For a more detailed description of how signals get in,
through, and out of a mixer, see the article Mixer Anatomy
101 in the Technical Articles section of my web site.

We'll do that. Thanks.

mikey