Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Default Light stand to mic adapter

Getting a new tall mic stand. Looking at the Avenger A635B with the proper
combination of height (12'), weight (light), price ($125), and color
(black), except that it's a light stand, not a mic stand.

Can't find an adapter from the 5/8" stud to a standard 5/8-27 thread mic
mount. I can find mic on one end and stud on the other, but I need to
mount TO the stud on the stand (requires a setscrew).

AND it should be as small as possible to minimize visual impact. I can rig
a pipe fitting if I have to, but it's ugly.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
Getting a new tall mic stand. Looking at the Avenger A635B with the proper
combination of height (12'), weight (light), price ($125), and color
(black), except that it's a light stand, not a mic stand.

It's good. It's not heavy to carry. It's heavier than the Manfrotto Highboy
which is now discontinued, but it's entirely respectable.

Can't find an adapter from the 5/8" stud to a standard 5/8-27 thread mic
mount. I can find mic on one end and stud on the other, but I need to
mount TO the stud on the stand (requires a setscrew).

Are you sure it has a 5/8" stud and not an NPT thread that the 5/8"
stud screws into, like the Manfrottos?

If so, your number one option is to get a 5/8-27 die and die handle from
MSC and thread the stud.

Otherwise I would call Calumet Photo and see if they have a handle on some
adaptors.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 11:11:41 -0500, Carey Carlan wrote
(in article ):

Getting a new tall mic stand. Looking at the Avenger A635B with the proper
combination of height (12'), weight (light), price ($125), and color
(black), except that it's a light stand, not a mic stand.

Can't find an adapter from the 5/8" stud to a standard 5/8-27 thread mic
mount. I can find mic on one end and stud on the other, but I need to
mount TO the stud on the stand (requires a setscrew).

AND it should be as small as possible to minimize visual impact. I can rig
a pipe fitting if I have to, but it's ugly.

Get a grip knuckle to mount on the stud and use a goose neck w/5/8 threads in
the knuckle clamp.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
Getting a new tall mic stand. Looking at the Avenger A635B with the
proper
combination of height (12'), weight (light), price ($125), and color
(black), except that it's a light stand, not a mic stand.

Can't find an adapter from the 5/8" stud to a standard 5/8-27 thread mic
mount. I can find mic on one end and stud on the other, but I need to
mount TO the stud on the stand (requires a setscrew).

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...s/CMIC-1.xhtml

http://www.filmtools.com/microphone-stand-adapter.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

http://www.filmtools.com/microphone-stand-adapter.html

Thanks, Arny. That's exactly it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Carey Carlan wrote in news:Xns9FF23FD2B957Ecarlan@
69.16.186.52:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

http://www.filmtools.com/microphone-stand-adapter.html

Thanks, Arny. That's exactly it.

Follow-up with recap.

I bought an Avenger A635B light stand to use as a mic stand (cheaper that a
Shure and black).

To answer Scott, it does indeed come with a 5/8 stud, not a threaded mount.

To adapt it to a mic stand, the ideal choice is the item Arnie describes
above, which goes straight from stud to 5/8-27 mount. As I got the stand
from BH Photo, and they don't sell that one, I got the Manfrotto 014-38
Rapidapter cheaper and no additional shipping charge. It goes from stud to
3/8-20 boom/European mount.

To that I added one of my horde of 3/8 to 5/8 adapters from every European
mic I buy (AKG, DPA, Schoeps, etc). That makes two adapters to get from
the stand to the mic, but I suspect they'll be OK.

For about $50 less than the venerable Shure S15A I got a stand that goes
only 12 feet high, but supports up to 30 pounds (with sandbags).

Light of B Ruud Broens Vacuum Tubes 1 December 31st 06 01:14 AM
strobe light on Thorens TD-125 Mk II turntable won't light [email protected] High End Audio 1 November 24th 06 04:36 PM
strobe light on Thorens TD-125 Mk II turntable won't light [email protected] Tech 10 November 24th 06 02:15 PM
Where does light go? your lover Pro Audio 26 August 14th 05 09:14 PM
Looking for FM adapter/wireless audio adapter CQMMAN Car Audio 6 November 29th 04 12:53 PM