Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default Noise From Marshall TSL's XLR Direct Out

Hello everyone...first post here, and I'm glad this group is here.

I have been experimenting recording, and currently have a M-Audio Fast
Track USB, a XLR cable, and a Sennheiser e609 Silver microphone.

The mic seems to like volume a lot, and I can't really get my amp loud
enough to make my mic happy...level in the M-Audio box is usually near
max which picks up a lot of room noise...even "white noise" is well
heard in the quiet parts of playing guitar.

I tried my Marshall's XLR Direct Out to the M-Audio Fast
Track...wow...hey...this thing sounds pretty dang good, IMHO....smooth
sounding..I was impressed...a lot.

I would perhaps consider this as a main recording line in ( in place
of microphones ) if it weren't for one thing: there is audible
noise..a "hum" if you will...like a type of 60-cycle noise.....it only
goes away it seems when I unplug the XLR from the amp.

All tvs are off, no fluorescent bulbs in my apartment...is this
perhaps just the noise I hear from my apartment's ( huge NYC
building ) electrical wiring? Or is it something inherent in XLR
recording? Something wrong or "less-than-pro" construction of the $99
M-Audio Fast Track USB box I got? Could it be my Marshall amp has
something wrong w/that circuit? Something else?

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any replies,
Jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Stephen Cowell Stephen Cowell is offline

"Nobody" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone...first post here, and I'm glad this group is here.

I have been experimenting recording, and currently have a M-Audio Fast
Track USB, a XLR cable, and a Sennheiser e609 Silver microphone.

The mic seems to like volume a lot, and I can't really get my amp loud
enough to make my mic happy...level in the M-Audio box is usually near
max which picks up a lot of room noise...even "white noise" is well
heard in the quiet parts of playing guitar.

Put a good mic pre in the equation and you'd be set. Are you
close mic'ing? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I tried my Marshall's XLR Direct Out to the M-Audio Fast
Track...wow...hey...this thing sounds pretty dang good, IMHO....smooth
sounding..I was impressed...a lot.

I would perhaps consider this as a main recording line in ( in place
of microphones ) if it weren't for one thing: there is audible
noise..a "hum" if you will...like a type of 60-cycle noise.....it only
goes away it seems when I unplug the XLR from the amp.

You are experiencing a 'ground loop' problem. You may
be able to fix it by opening up the mic cable and clipping
the shield wire *if* your input is transformer isolated. Clip
pin1 as well... the balanced signal appears across 2-3.

You can do this to a short mic cable and create a 'ground-lift'
much cheaper than buying hum eliminator boxes. If you're
set up in a bar with cheesy electrics (aren't they all?) one of
these can keep your lips from being 'bit'. This is all predicated
on the rest of the equipment being earthed, of course.
__
Steve
..

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Eddie G[_2_] Eddie G[_2_] is offline

On 18 Mar 2007 09:46:18 -0700, "Nobody"
wrote:

Hello everyone...first post here, and I'm glad this group is here.

First post, Polfus? To r.a.p., you mean.

I have been experimenting recording, and currently have a M-Audio Fast
Track USB, a XLR cable, and a Sennheiser e609 Silver microphone.

The mic seems to like volume a lot, and I can't really get my amp loud
enough to make my mic happy...level in the M-Audio box is usually near
max which picks up a lot of room noise...even "white noise" is well
heard in the quiet parts of playing guitar.

The 609's should have enough output to get above white noise level.
The fact that you're getting room noise would indicate that your amp
is not turned up far. I'm sure you have the mic close to the speaker,
so it's probably that you're trying to keep your neighbors happy but
playing at whisper levels. That's considerate, but you probably want
to build a small sound-proof enclosure for your amp so you can crank
it a bit.

I tried my Marshall's XLR Direct Out to the M-Audio Fast
Track...wow...hey...this thing sounds pretty dang good, IMHO....smooth
sounding..I was impressed...a lot.

It should sound better if you mic it.

I would perhaps consider this as a main recording line in ( in place
of microphones ) if it weren't for one thing: there is audible
noise..a "hum" if you will...like a type of 60-cycle noise.....it only
goes away it seems when I unplug the XLR from the amp.

All tvs are off, no fluorescent bulbs in my apartment...is this
perhaps just the noise I hear from my apartment's ( huge NYC
building ) electrical wiring? Or is it something inherent in XLR
recording? Something wrong or "less-than-pro" construction of the $99
M-Audio Fast Track USB box I got? Could it be my Marshall amp has
something wrong w/that circuit? Something else?

You're connecting your audio ground to the computer ground. A few
different ways for things to go wrong there.

Stay with the mic. The iso box will help filter outside noise as well
as keeping your neighbors happy. If necessary, get a small speaker cab
and build a small iso box around that. Unplug the main speaker, of
course. Use a good guitar speaker with same impedance as your cab.

Anyone else experienced this?

Everyone at some point.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Nobody Nobody is offline

On Mar 18, 3:13 pm, "Stephen Cowell" wrote:

Put a good mic pre in the equation and you'd be set. Are you
close mic'ing? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Yeah..but I was talking about recording at really quiet levels..late
at night when the woman is asleep.

You are experiencing a 'ground loop' problem. You may
be able to fix it by opening up the mic cable and clipping
the shield wire *if* your input is transformer isolated. Clip
pin1 as well... the balanced signal appears across 2-3.

Arrrg! I can't do that...something seems wrong about that..is it safe
to do?

I mean..I don't know if my input is transformer isolated.

You can do this to a short mic cable and create a 'ground-lift'
much cheaper than buying hum eliminator boxes. If you're
set up in a bar with cheesy electrics (aren't they all?) one of
these can keep your lips from being 'bit'. This is all predicated
on the rest of the equipment being earthed, of course.
__
Steve

A small "Hum Eliminator" wouldn't work?

Like this one..a Ebtech Hum X Hum Exterminator:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...ull_sku=150452

Thanks for the reply,
Jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Stephen Cowell Stephen Cowell is offline

"Nobody" wrote in message
oups.com...

A small "Hum Eliminator" wouldn't work?

Like this one..a Ebtech Hum X Hum Exterminator:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...ull_sku=150452

Oh sure... I was thinking you wanted to save money.
Whatever.
__
Steve
..

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Nobody Nobody is offline

wrote:

Hello everyone...first post here, and I'm glad this group is here.

First post, Polfus?

"Polfus"? You stuck in the past, my man?

Why would you go there?

To r.a.p., you mean

If its important to you, yes. I gotta say, Eddie:

"First of all, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now."

Still..I appreciate your reply, from here on out:

The 609's should have enough output to get above white noise level.
The fact that you're getting room noise would indicate that your amp
is not turned up far.

Exactly...you're right.

I'm sure you have the mic close to the speaker,
so it's probably that you're trying to keep your neighbors happy but
playing at whisper levels.

Yup...thats what I was referring to...*really* quiet, so thats why I
went direct with the XLR out into my M-Audio Fast Track.

That's considerate, but you probably want
to build a small sound-proof enclosure for your amp so you can crank
it a bit.

That would be cool..except I don't have the room for it, nor the
patience to build a box, and especially don't wanna take it in and out
of the isolation box whenever I waana record or play!

It should sound better if you mic it.

Yeah...I agree..the mic'd sounds are indeed better in a way, but the
direct out does have a certain smoothness that I enjoyed. I think I
shall try to blend the direct and mic'd sound like Ron suggested.
Thats a very good suggestion, IMHO.

You're connecting your audio ground to the computer ground. A few
different ways for things to go wrong there.

Yeah..I was wondering about that, especially after Ron mentioned that
may be a problem if I have it set-up that way..but its the only way to
do it with the gear I have for recording so far.

Stay with the mic. The iso box will help filter outside noise as well
as keeping your neighbors happy. If necessary, get a small speaker cab
and build a small iso box around that. Unplug the main speaker, of
course. Use a good guitar speaker with same impedance as your cab.

Hell...maybe one day I *will* get a seperate isolation box w/speaker
in it..I think they are already built for these applications..I forgot
where I saw it....

Anyone else experienced this?

Everyone at some point.

Except those that aren't recording or doing the direct out
thingie..right?

Peace,
( call me whatever you want here, I guess ).

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar,alt.guitar.amps
Nobody Nobody is offline

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._x_hum_extermi...

Oh sure... I was thinking you wanted to save money.
Whatever.
Steve

No, Steve...THANK you for the suggestion..its just that I'm not very
experienced with electrical connection alterations like you must
be...thats all. Saving money is ALWAYS good!

Thanks again, man..seriously..don't be upset that I wanted some easy
"plug into: kind of device...I just want something idiot proof to
match my brain

Peace,
Jason

Marshall amp question Mick Pro Audio 87 December 17th 06 10:38 AM
marshall el34 100/100 chillewille Vacuum Tubes 1 November 19th 06 12:37 AM
Marshall 2204 problem... Chris Berry Vacuum Tubes 3 August 7th 05 08:15 AM
Jim Marshall Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE Vacuum Tubes 0 November 16th 04 12:52 PM
Marshall Stack Amp Sim Ben Marshall Pro Audio 12 October 23rd 03 03:12 AM