Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default A Stupid Idea

The latest AudioXPress has on its cover a stereo amplifier using one
4D32 tetrode in Class AB2 per channel as an output device.

Why do people persist in acts that aren't just stupid but willfully
destructive?

The 4D32 was neither designed for nor is it really any good as an
audio amplifier. Its only use today is as an RF output tube for the
beautifully built Collins V-line transmitters and a few military field
transmitters. The supply of these tubes is limited and it is doubtful
any more will ever be made. No really good substitute exists, although
the set can be kluged to operate at reduced power and efficiency with
the VHF twin triodes paralleled together.

Yet we have self centered and ****ish audiophools who persist.

Can you see why I get mad? If the 4D32 were a fantastic audio tube,
I'd say go ahead and use them up. Make them make more. But it is in
fact terrible. It sucks as an audio tube.

Even an 811 is far better. Rein Narma made them work just fine.